Match Thread: Villa v Everton

limpid

2 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

It's like United on a smaller scale

Just vibes and hoping for some individual brilliance. I don't see a style of play here. 

Thus is always the issue with us. I don't remember the last time we actually had a footballing philosophy. 

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

CONCUSSION FFS

My point wasn’t about taking him off, it was about replacing him with a defensive player when we’ve already got 6 defensive players on the pitch and a youngster who never scores and has looked anonymous since the start of the game.

Smith should be ashamed playing so defensive against a weakened Everton team.

• Haha 2

i think we were really poor overall.

we have little creativity in that starting 11, we seem to just launch balls down the lines in hope, i dunno, not impressed at all.

some good individual performances, but the team just looks like it didnt know how to pass or cross properly on the whole, its just mostly punt and hope.

Cash really need to work on his passing and crossing, he was dire going forward.

I dunno, really not impressed overall.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, bose said:

Poor decision putting Nakamba on. You move Luiz from his best position and put on a very defensive and limited player instead.

Why have Sanson on the bench if he’s not ready?

Yeah, I was hoping for Sanson.

1 minute ago, KMitch said:

The overreactions are hilarious...  You'd think we're getting trounced by some of the comments here.  The truth is, both sides have been mediocre, but Villa are on top of every stat so far...  Should be at least 1-0 up right now.

With the injuries Everton are there for the taking and I think Smith has it got it wrong with this formation. 

I think them switching to a 4 has nullified us a little. We've had good possession but the man we need on the ball with so much possession is on the bench. AEG...

Obviously I'm talking about Emi Buendia you wet wipes

If we weren’t relying on two really out of form full backs to provide the width and final ball, I think we’d be much better off. Formation change and one or more of Bailey/Traore/Buendia needed pretty urgently.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

My point wasn’t about taking him off, it was about replacing him with a defensive player when we’ve already got 6 defensive players on the pitch and a youngster who never scores and has looked anonymous since the start of the game.

Smith should be ashamed playing so defensive against a weakened Everton team.

So you want a midfield two of Luiz and Ramsey?

1 minute ago, bose said:

Poor decision putting Nakamba on. You move Luiz from his best position and put on a very defensive and limited player instead.

Why have Sanson on the bench if he’s not ready?

He’s not on the bench, use eyes 

2 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

We really do look so disjointed playing 3 at the back. So far it looks like a team with players shoehorned in for the sake of it like axel and watkins

Axel shouldn’t be shoehorned in, he’s done nothing in his career so far. 

Watkins I understand but it should be Ings to make way. 

If he keeps persisting trying to play them both he will be under a awful lot of pressure because it ain’t working.

Edited by VillaFaninLondon

Just now, MotoMkali said:

Thus is always the issue with us. I don't remember the last time we actually had a footballing philosophy. 

ye, im careful with saying it, but what is our style of play??, where is this close control fluid "Dean Smith" style!?!?!?

Im not knocking Smith, but at the same time, we seem to struggle with simple passes and crosses, really amateur stuff.

To me, it just looks like most of our tactics consist of punting it down the line and hoping someone runs on to it.