• Watkins
    • Nakamba (McGinn 40)
    • Bailey (Targett 61)
    • Young (Bailey 82)
    • Traoré (Cash 86)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 21/09/21 at 22:59

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Caught the highlights on MOTD and watched some extended highlights.

Quick thoughts:

Much better set pieces - the appointments are already showing the difference. We are far less static and predictable - goal from a corner! What a delivery from Bailey.

Cash took his goal so well

We retain such dynamism and we aren't slowing the game down as much - another impressive showing from Ramsey

Nakamba slotted in well

Some great passing from Luiz today, so happy for his assist.

Tremendous ball from Ings to Bailey for his goal - what a hit.

Good game management, incredible energy and dynamism, this formation change and the above makes us a very different, improved team collectively compared to last season. And we still have Buendia to return. Really so very encouraging, especially when the bench can change the game. Solid game management.

Everton are a good side so this was again a very encouraging performance after a cagey opening affair.

Arguably Dean's best game for us, I thought tactically he was spot on.

• Like 3

Thought we earnt the right to win that game yesterday with Ramsey and Makamba doing the ugly bits, step up Leon Bailey to take the plaudits and produce his cameo. Strange game for the Villa, we looked like we knew what we were doing. From training ground to on the pitch is it us.

21 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Just making a comparison with that season we had 15 to 20 minute spells in even games that totally blew away the opposition like yesterday

From what I remember it always seemed like it was under the famous floodlights that we had our best games. Liverpool, QPR, and Everton at Old Trafford come to mind. 

Gray, Deehan and Little. What a front line. 

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

From what I remember it always seemed like it was under the famous floodlights that we had our best games. Liverpool, QPR, and Everton at Old Trafford come to mind. 

Gray, Deehan and Little. What a front line. 

Where is your wife gone, where’s your wife gone, where’s your wife gone, Stanley  Bowles with the milkman with the milkman with the milkman Stanley Bowles 🤣👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

I’ve always thought Everton were a proper club, classy and respectful. That is mirrored in their fans too. A huge difference between them and the lot across Stanley Park. 

Always had much respect for Everton. A grand old club like ourselves. 

• Like 3

19 hours ago, TRO said:

We was Lucky....

• Lucky to have Bailey
  • Lucky to have a partisan crowd
  • Lucky to have a tactically aware manager
  • Lucky to have a miserly back line to keep a clean sheet.

yes I guess we were Lucky.

There had been some beer drunk, it was not worth trying to discuss our superiority  with them Tro. They were either trying to wind me up or too thick to see it. 

• Like 1

I thought we performed better against Chelsea, if you consider the level of opposition.

Everton were depleted without DCL, Richi, Coleman and Pick Ford.

It's like us without Watkins, Ings, Martinez and Cash. We would also struggle without these 4 players.

There was nothing in the game until the 60th minute, when we could call on Bailey and Everton were left without a single striker on the pitch.

3 points most welcome but we need to play much better against United to get anything.

1 hour ago, Czarnikjak said:

I thought we performed better against Chelsea, if you consider the level of opposition.

Everton were depleted without DCL, Richi, Coleman and Pick Ford.

It's like us without Watkins, Ings, Martinez and Cash. We would also struggle without these 4 players.

There was nothing in the game until the 60th minute, when we could call on Bailey and Everton were left without a single striker on the pitch.

3 points most welcome but we need to play much better against United to get anything.

Fair points but Everton have been a top 10 team for quite some years now and have spent a hell of a lot money.  Out of 2 of the players missing one cost peanuts and the other through the youth.  They still had a very expensively assembled team put together. 

Loved Cash's reaction to scoring and his post-match interview. The lad was absolutely buzzing. Couldn't get the smile off his face. Great to see unbridled enthusiasm like that.

• Like 4

Due to unforeseen family crisis I didn't watch the game live so just finished watching the replay.

Absolutely fantastic performance from the guys,  especially Bailey. Showcased exactly why he bought him in the first place, can see him getting many more this season. I grinned so big when Matty got his goal and how excited he was by it, been a member of the Cash fan club since we got him.

Family issue has been settled, fantastic 3 points, and am looking forward to the cup game against Chelsea.

UTV

• Like 2

I thought it was a good game. Even first half.  However, we didn't look right in the first half - Ings and Watkins were too far apart and they were often isolated with nobody up with them.  And Everton were equally poor offensively, other than when they could play Gray into the game.  Rondon makes Davis look a really good back up option!

I was personally hoping that Bailey would come on earlier for a CB and we would switch to a 4-3-3.  I felt that Bailey or Watkins would be able to get the better of Godfrey (a CB playing out of position).  Bailey did this once he was on, albeit from LWB.

We were lucky with the Konsa/Gray incident - could have swung the game massively to them.

Not perfect by a long stretch but promising.  If Smith can get his team right - and we can keep Bailey fit - it could be an interesting season.

Great result and a stunning 20 minute performance surrounded by a solid performance.

Was delighted with Mings, Bailey & Cash in particular and impressed with Luiz, Nakamba, Konsa (Although i did not spot his foul on their player) & Tuanzebe. I felt Watkins Ings & Ramsey were decent too but all have played better.

One thing needs improving however though & that's Targetts play in the opposition half. I lost count of the amount of times he wasted really good posession. Crossing was abysmal and most of our moves up until he went off came to an end when he got on the ball.. Sorry but he was poor in my view. No surprise we suddenly clicked when he went off as he was the weak link.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Nothing will surpass the 7-2.

In terms of the result no, I agree.

but tactically, he was spot on, IMO on Saturday.....I think the first half was more by design than, just playing poorly as some have described.....I think Dean was Canny.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Great result and a stunning 20 minute performance surrounded by a solid performance.

Was delighted with Mings, Bailey & Cash in particular and impressed with Luiz, Nakamba, Konsa (Although i did not spot his foul on their player) & Tuanzebe. I felt Watkins Ings & Ramsey were decent too but all have played better.

One thing needs improving however though & that's Targetts play in the opposition half. I lost count of the amount of times he wasted really good posession. Crossing was abysmal and most of our moves up until he went off came to an end when he got on the ball.. Sorry but he was poor in my view. No surprise we suddenly clicked when he went off as he was the weak link.

That for me was the most pleasing.....The last half hour, was just party time.....sheer effervescence.

7 hours ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Targett isn’t himself. Not sure if it’s just confidence but we all know he can be a lot better as an attacking threat. I just don’t think he’s got going yet.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Targett isn’t himself. Not sure if it’s just confidence but we all know he can be a lot better as an attacking threat. I just don’t think he’s got going yet.

Agreed.  He is definitely undercooked from being injured over the summer and missing pre-season.  The challenge is how he gets "up to speed" now the season is up and running??

Â