Ratings & Reactions: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/21 at 22:59

40 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

When Leeds get praise when getting beat it's outrageous 

When we get praise for a losing performance it's fine and fair.

Football fans in a nutshell. It's so tribal it's unbelievable.

Temet nosce.

• Like 1
  • Shocked 1

1 hour ago, villalad21 said:

Why don't we see the same drive and energy against the lesser sides?

Seriously though. Played with an urgency and aggression yesterday I've not seen this season. It's like they were out there to prove something.

Should play with such intensity every game. 

It just frustrates me so much. They show at times that they've got so much to give yet they don't do it every week. Why?

I'm not talking about the performance but the intensity.

It's 4 games, after a disrupted pre season, with injuries throughout the squad. That might be why. 

6 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It's 4 games, after a disrupted pre season, with injuries throughout the squad. That might be why. 

Or could be because he screwed up the team selection against Watford and played a 36 year old fullback at centre mid against Brentford. 

• Haha 3

On 11/09/2021 at 19:31, OutByEaster? said:

We were very good - if we play like that we'll beat a lot of teams this season.

I thought McGinn was outstanding, Luiz and Ramsey excellent, Watkins did well, the fullbacks were very good and we generally defended very well.

We took the game to them and had plenty of chances - 3-0 is massively flattering to them and I don't think a draw would have been undeserved - but at this level it's a game of fine margins and the combination of a daft error by Mings and a frighteningly good striker in Lukaku made the difference.

I look forward to having Martinez back in goal and I'm very happy with the options we now have going forward - I liked the shape, I loved the attitude, I hated the result - but this is the second toughest fixture in the Premier league and we've more than matched them for long periods - to win this one you have be faultless and you have to be lucky - we weren't quite either, but there was plenty of positive stuff on display.

Bad result.

Good signs.

Good summary.  I think the 3-5-2 was good.  Not sure how we fit Bailey and Buendia - our two big summer signings - into this (?) but I would like to see it for the next couple of games due to the strength of the opposition. 

The only thing that would add is that I was very disappointed with Mings and Ings - the former is too casual to be a really top defender and the latter, whilst a great finisher, is not mobile enough for me and contributed next too nothing v Chelski.  

We won't be playing 3 5 2 at home to Everton or any team we are fav to beat. I see it as a formation for away to top 6 teams in the League. I also expect Bailey and Watkins to be the 2 up front for those games more than Watkins and Ings. Bailey has electric pace which is always a big threat

• Like 1

Thought we played well first half but top teams play well for 90 mins, Emi was a big miss as his presence brings a calm to that defence and tactically i am not sure if three centre backs works and would prefer one in front of the two to add the cover. We need to be a team that works for each other because we are to easily exposed and tend to flap when pressed and the result is as followed.

3 hours ago, CVByrne said:

We won't be playing 3 5 2 at home to Everton or any team we are fav to beat. I see it as a formation for away to top 6 teams in the League. I also expect Bailey and Watkins to be the 2 up front for those games more than Watkins and Ings. Bailey has electric pace which is always a big threat

You know what, sometimes I don't get the stigma people have about 3 - 5 - 2 being " defensive " or a damage limitation formation.

I actually like it.

To be able to involve Bailey, Watkins and Ings from the off though, we might do with a 4 - 1 - 3 - 2 ?

Luiz/Nakamba sitting.

McGinn/Ramsey central.

Bailey left, Buendia right.

Ollie/Ings up top.

If I'm honest, I struggle to see how I can fit all my favourite players into the team all at once, while keeping sensible balance.

We might have to sacrifice Ings at points.

A genuine headache.

• Like 2

On 11/09/2021 at 19:48, HanoiVillan said:

Baffled by those who've put Steer as man of the match, is this an inside joke that I've missed?

It's a bum steer for sure.

Edited by sidcow

7 hours ago, villalad21 said:

I think a team like Man U and Spurs would love to play us if we approach them like we did Chelsea.

With high press and a high line you leave huge space behind you if you lose the ball or if the opposition manages to pass through the press.

Weird how managers adapt tactics to different teams.

• Like 1

On 13/09/2021 at 15:58, PaulC said:

I can in the FA Cup semi-final against Liverpool when Brian Little was manager. 

Was going to say that. And the FA Cup semi final against Chelsea under O’Neill. Yet another awful referee performance against us in a big game. Remember Terry nearly snapping Milner’s leg was a red all day

• Like 2

Thought this was going to be our first test of where we are at in the immediate future, post-Grealish. Could have been worse. There's more than a few positives to take from a loss that by the scoresheet should easily be forgotten.

23 hours ago, villalad21 said:

So you think he'll park the bus against United?

Go toe to toe with them and they'll kill you with pace.

I have no idea and I have no information at all to speculate on. He's the manager—he'll come up with some plan. That's his job.

Edited by Rolta

Â