Ratings & Reactions: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/21 at 22:59

Waking up after 3-0 defeat usually means I’m in a terrible mood but there was plenty see yesterday to be upbeat about. Some of our first half play was the best I’ve seen this season. Some really terrific stuff against a genuine title contender. Was never a 3-0 game.

Been said numerous times on here but Lukaku was the big difference and probably got them that 3-0 result. Two chances, two goals but that’s what you pay the big bucks for. He’s very clinical and Werner just wouldn’t have scored those goals.

I liked the 352/532 formation and for large parts of yesterday, it worked. Our high press was very impressive and only when the second goal went in did we start to flatten a bit. Will be useful to possibly use again against the very best sides. 

I’m genuinely excited for what’s ahead. Bailey, Traore, Buendia is a frightening forward thinking three in compliment Watkins and/or Ings. Strong options. I’m also less concerned by our midfield after yesterday. The standard has been set by them now and they need to continue showing that kind of performance.

Final note, Konsa is a very talented centre half and has a very high ceiling. Just oozes class. I would just like him to show a little more composure/confidence on the ball and that is only a very slight negative I have on him. Should have an England cap already and criminal that he hasn’t. 

Edited by ferguson1

24 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Waking up after 3-0 defeat usually means I’m in a terrible mood but there was plenty see yesterday to be upbeat about. Some of our first half play was the best I’ve seen this season. Some really terrific stuff against a genuine title contender. Was never a 3-0 game.

Been said numerous times on here but Lukaku was the big difference and probably got them that 3-0 result. Two chances, two goals but that’s what you pay the big bucks for. He’s very clinical and Werner just wouldn’t have scored those goals.

I liked the 352/532 formation and for large parts of yesterday, it worked. Our high press was very impressive and only when the second goal went in did we start to flatten a bit. Will be useful to possibly use again against the very best sides. 

I’m genuinely excited for what’s ahead. Bailey, Traore, Buendia is a frightening forward thinking three in compliment Watkins and/or Ings. Strong options. I’m also less concerned by our midfield after yesterday. The standard has been set by them now and they need to continue showing that kind of performance.

Final note, Konsa is a very talented centre half and has a very high ceiling. Just oozes class. I would just like him to show a little more composure/confidence on the ball and that is only a very slight negative I have on him. Should have an England cap already and criminal that he hasn’t. 

Watched Lukaku in the Euros. Seems to have got even better after leaving the Prem (to my shame I don’t really follow Italian football). One of the top strikers in the world for me. I would rather him than Kane, and I really rate Kane.

3 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Welcome back Kiwi, I sort of do to but we need more time to be sure which one starts.

I think Ings is a brilliant finisher but over all Ollies worth rate is ridiculous. Thanks to NWSE we now have options and strength.

For me though, Buendia and Bailey should be 1st names on the sheet asap so only one of the above should start with them for good balance whichever formation we go with.

I think it depends on the way the opposition play and how many they have in the middle.

As soon as I saw their team coupled with our formation I genuinely believed we'll cause them a lot of sustained problems (see pre match thread) Euro champions or not. The second goal killed us and gave them the belief along with Jorginho coming on. 

For Tuchel to speak the way he did speaks volumes. The next time we play them will be much harder. 

Dean , Craig, Cuts, Austin and Danksie as they grow (not Shakespeare's belly) together , we'll be very happy as a fanbase.

P.S anyone noticed how Tuchel was lovingly meeting Ramsey after the game.?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

I think it depends on the way the opposition play and how many they have in the middle.

As soon as I saw their team coupled with our formation I genuinely believed we'll cause them a lot of sustained problems (see pre match thread) Euro champions or not. The second goal killed us and gave them the belief along with Jorginho coming on. 

For Tuchel to speak the way he did speaks volumes. The next time we play them will be much harder. 

Dean , Craig, Cuts, Austin and Danksie as they grow (not Shakespeare's belly) together , we'll be very happy as a fanbase.

P.S anyone noticed how Tuchel was lovingly meeting Ramsey after the game.?

I wouldn't be against seeing that formation yesterday again and with time to gel Ings and Ollie can make that work. I liked Ramsey, SJM and Dougie, that just worked yesterday and can again.

Didn't see the Tuchel/Ramsey bit, will prob watch it again later. Ramsey has potential and we know for sure Carney does, I spoke in the Mings thread about being work in progress and upgrades as and when....... the stone cold nuts would be the kids becoming the upgrades.  

• Like 2

I think the performance and result were reflective of where AV is in our progression to a top 4/6 team. We played very well at times and had some lovely attacking passages of play. Smith did a good job and considering the team we were playing and the players we were missing he got tactics and selections fairly bang on. However, Chelsea deservedly won the game because the have better quality players. The were able to bring on Jorginho after half time to try and stop the constant attacking football from us, that is real strength in depth. Lukaka took his goal brilliantly and the pass from Kovacic was sublime. Mendy was inspired and the rest of the team made very few errors. This compared to a Villa team that had Mings making yet another error and he is meant to be our leader and so important to the dressing room and as per the Jan Transfer thread, we cannot get a better CB to Mings. A leader leads by example and when the example is to give the ball away he is not a good leader. Mings and Tuanzebe are simply not good enough to get Villa Top 4 / 6. If we want that we need better quality players. It is not just Mings and Tuanzebe that could be improved but also our fullbacks. We will be good enough for a top half finish this season, we showed lots of promising play and our midfield and attacking players are really starting to look good. But to move to the next level we need better quality defenders. I think last season Emi helped to hide the weaknesses in our defence due to his excellent form

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

I would rather him than Kane, and I really rate Kane.

I agree with this. Lukaku looks to have come back from Italy a changed player. He is an absolute beast of a player. The closest to an unplayable player in the PL I have seen for a very long time. He will absolutely destroy some weaker teams and if he stays fit, it will be difficult to bet against Chelsea for the league and Lukaku for the golden boot

17 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I wouldn't be against seeing that formation yesterday again and with time to gel Ings and Ollie can make that work. I liked Ramsey, SJM and Dougie, that just worked yesterday and can again.

Yeah, I would like to see it again and as you say Ings and Ollie will gel better with time but for a first view of them together they looked very good. I am really looking forward to seeing our strongest 11 play a game against a non top 6 team. We could be very entertaining 😀

• Like 1

Taking into account quality of opposition and the different selections of players we've had available/unavailable, I'd say we've looked better as each game has gone on this season. Results haven't always reflected that but the trend is definitely up.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

Taking into account quality of opposition and the different selections of players we've had available/unavailable, I'd say we've looked better as each game has gone on this season. Results haven't always reflected that but the trend is definitely up.

I'm fully expecting a stronger second half to the season. I think results will be up and down for the next couple of months. 

I am disappointed we only have 4 points from our opening 4 games, but I am much more disappointed by the first three games than yesterday. I am not like many on this forum who bury their head in the sand and say Smith can do no wrong, but I think he got it right yesterday and we played well. 

Ultimately we lost to a strong team but we deserved to score at least two goal ourselves and gifted them one of theirs and at the minimum deserved a draw. 

What concerns me is the defence. Mings made a stupid careless pass for the second goal yesterday but Tuanzebe was also at fault (as he was for their first goal). I am not too sure we have recruited well in defence, Mings needs better competition than Hause and Tuanzebe was signed off the back of his performances with us in the Champ but hasn't actually done anything of note in the last 2 years.

Why haven't we scouted better in this area when we have Lange I don't know. The FBs are also a bit weak for me but they did actually play ok yesterday. I think Everton now has to be a win because after that we play Manure and Spuds. Bailey, Watkins, Ings to play with Buendia and Martinez back in from the start. Maybe Ollie plays wide left as an inside forward. But we have to start picking up points and wins now we have players back as the start to the season has been nowhere near good enough. Even Palace who've had a harder set of fixtures and lost 12 players in the summer and appointed a new, inexperienced manager are higher up in the table than us.

• Like 1

I just woke up and I’m still pissed. Are people upset about how we approached yesterday’s game? I sincerely hope not.

i remember the days of going Stanford bridge to park the bus and losing 1-0. Yesterday I saw us lose because we got hit on break. Im very optimistic for this season.  

15 hours ago, TheMightyVillans said:

Game shows why mings won't be a top tier defender. Majority of his game is great but always has errors in him.

Very frustrating as it was probably our best performance of the season.

He **** up but I still think Emi would have been further forward to clear that.

4 minutes ago, icouldtelltheworld said:

Not sure how we've lost that 3-0, first half was the best football that a Villa side not containing Jack Grealish has played in about 6 years. It's going to take a while to click but we'll be fine

Problem is some of our fans only look at scorelines. I thought we were brilliant. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Peter Griffin said:

I think the performance and result were reflective of where AV is in our progression to a top 4/6 team. We played very well at times and had some lovely attacking passages of play. Smith did a good job and considering the team we were playing and the players we were missing he got tactics and selections fairly bang on. However, Chelsea deservedly won the game because the have better quality players. The were able to bring on Jorginho after half time to try and stop the constant attacking football from us, that is real strength in depth. Lukaka took his goal brilliantly and the pass from Kovacic was sublime. Mendy was inspired and the rest of the team made very few errors. This compared to a Villa team that had Mings making yet another error and he is meant to be our leader and so important to the dressing room and as per the Jan Transfer thread, we cannot get a better CB to Mings. A leader leads by example and when the example is to give the ball away he is not a good leader. Mings and Tuanzebe are simply not good enough to get Villa Top 4 / 6. If we want that we need better quality players. It is not just Mings and Tuanzebe that could be improved but also our fullbacks. We will be good enough for a top half finish this season, we showed lots of promising play and our midfield and attacking players are really starting to look good. But to move to the next level we need better quality defenders. I think last season Emi helped to hide the weaknesses in our defence due to his excellent form

I was all set to say bollox to this because we were decent, but you are absolutely right, that last 10% of quality is the difference, less mistakes, fewer chance needed, reading of the game etc...

The goalkeeper being back next week will lift us and hopefully, and after less then 24hrs and everyone has forgotten already, we won't be up against 12 men every week, that ref was crooked.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Phil Silvers said:

I was all set to say bollox to this because we were decent, but you are absolutely right, that last 10% of quality is the difference, less mistakes, fewer chance needed, reading of the game etc...

The goalkeeper being back next week will lift us and hopefully, and after less then 24hrs and everyone has forgotten already, we won't be up against 12 men every week, that ref was crooked.

Thx.

I was really impressed with us yesterday. We played far better than I expected and DS played one of his better games as manager. But, there comes a point when you are just beaten by better players and you can't really blame DS for any part of yesterday (although, I like the earlier suggestion of playing Konsa in the middle). 

The extra 10% though is so difficult and that is what costs the big money, I think Lukaku and Ronaldo showed that yesterday. 

• Like 1

Â