Ratings & Reactions: Chelsea v Villa

limpid

Match Polls  

195 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/09/21 at 22:59

1 minute ago, May-Z said:

I don't think it was a gamble.

Smith would have  looked at our last match against them, analysed the fact they had shit loads of the ball in the centre and built from the back, and played two up front (plus an extra CM) to press and cut that off.

IMO, it worked very well. We went down by an insanely good ball from Kovacic, a mistake, and a last minute worldly. I don't think that's down to the tactics.

As I say, most people seem to  think that losing 3-0 to Chelsea was a pretty good performance , so Smith did his job.

I don’t think your account if the match is very different from mine.

1 minute ago, TomC said:

This is an excellent point. I praised how many of Chelsea's players were world class, but Saúl clearly was not.

The good news is that at least half the teams in the Premier League will field players who played like he did, and won't have anybody better to bring off the bench.

How many kicks in English football has Bailey had? 

16 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Four points from 12… let’s face it it’s probably going to be four from 15… I’d say we are quite close. 
Teams are capable of looking great for certain periods of matches. However we still made mistakes which lead to conceding, and we failed to score despite all the attempts. Wins are going to be very few and far between this season. 
If Chelsea had put away two more of their attempts on target, making it a 5-0 score line, would people have been happy? I don’t think so.

If we had put away 3 of our attempts on target we would have drawn 3-3 would you have been happy ? I don’t think so.

9 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

If the game had ended at half time, I would be in here strongly agreeing with the brilliant defeat/play-like-that-and-we'll-win-more-than-we-lose takes, but we were poor second half, didn't create many clear-cut chances.

I do agree it was a very good first half performance, but before people get too excited, it's worth remembering we won't be playing a guy who's never kicked a ball in English football every week. Once he went off, our main avenue for building attacks was gone, and we really didn't have too many other ideas IMO.

We started the second-half very positively and were carrying on as in first half. The Mings error knocked the stuffing out of us. More psychological than anything to do with ability. We were very good today and will get better. Chin up!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Seriously? McGinn was outstanding - the best player on the pitch and Luiz was excellent, probably our second best player on the day for me. 

For you maybe, for me, not. That's opinions for you.

Mcginnvfor all his pressing and winning the ball was incredibly wasteful in possession and shooting.

No point doing great work winning the ball, then trying a 5% pass for it to inevitably go back to the opponents who then score ( see the 3rd goal).

Luiz was decent ish in the first half as were the team as a unit. 2nd half all the bad we witnessed last season came together in 45 minutes.

Luiz being ineffective and of no use, mcginn constantly handing possession back and being wasteful, mings doing a mings.

Today was a poor 2nd half show, started by mings doing a mings and just got worse from there on in.

Is my opinion 

Oh and just to add to my rage, the ref ? Wtf ? Mings was rightly booked, however when you book for a very close mistimed tackle you need to show continuity, not just wave villa players away when one of their player has committed their 3rd mistimed tackle

Edited by brummybloke

For context, we played the european champions and super cup champions off the park first half. Second half we matched them for possession and chances.

Aside from individual mistakes and poor refereeing, loads of positives to take, especially as we didnt have our world class keeper and record signing playing

• Like 1

Just now, briny_ear said:

Just the three actual goals (which I like to call aG)

You do realise that the point of xG is to examine chance creation, not goals? 

If you exceed your xG by 2 goals it's because you have scored goals that your overall play didn't suggest you should have, and on most other days would not have. 

Based on xG if you played today's game 1000 times it would most often have been 1-1 

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We lost 3-0 having made defensive errors again and failed to score despite a large number of attempts. Please, I’m struggling to see why that is great and worth celebrating? 

You can focus on the result, the actual football played or perhaps both. A three-nil loss does not need a lot of focus ... it's bad. But there was a lot of good football. Shame you seemed to have missed it.

3 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

You do realise that the point of xG is to examine chance creation, not goals? 

If you exceed your xG by 2 goals it's because you have scored goals that your overall play didn't suggest you should have, and on most other days would not have. 

Based on xG if you played today's game 1000 times it would most often have been 1-1 

I'm skeptical of xG but it's probably about right here.

We would ordinarily have one from the chances we created but for some world-class defending/goalkeeping. Make it 3-1.

One of their goals was almost entirely because of a dreadful Mings mistake, not anything they created. Make it 2-1.

Lukaku is good enough to give you more goals than you might otherwise have. With most strikers, make it 1-1.

The thing is, when you have 4-5 world class players on the pitch, you will get a better result than xG or any other stat can predict.

2 minutes ago, TomC said:

I'm skeptical of xG but it's probably about right here.

We would ordinarily have one from the chances we created but for some world-class defending/goalkeeping. Make it 3-1.

One of their goals was almost entirely because of a dreadful Mings mistake, not anything they created. Make it 2-1.

Lukaku is good enough to give you more goals than you might otherwise have. With most strikers, make it 1-1.

The thing is, when you have 4-5 world class players on the pitch, you will get a better result than xG or any other stat can predict.

You are right, and what you say is fine, because the interpretation of xG can be used to identify exceptional players and goalkeepers. Again that's what the metric is used for. People who have transcended what average players in a given situation would have done. 

What that says to me is that if we had that exact xG configuration, and had been playing a team with average players we would have drawn, and below average players we would have probably won (because they would not have converted their opportunities). 

Edited by HKP90

22 minutes ago, Tayls said:

We lost 3-0 having made defensive errors again and failed to score despite a large number of attempts. Please, I’m struggling to see why that is great and worth celebrating? 

I’m with you here. In my view this was a failed gambit by the manager and he needs to rethink how we play big clubs with far stronger squads than ours. However, you can see from most responses he has made the fan base happy so maybe it’s job done.

Â