January Transfer Window - 2022

MaVilla

Just now, CVByrne said:

I think Gerrard's opinion is a) significantly more informed b) significantly more important than yours or mine.

He's 29, if he chose to come here to play for a person he knows personally, in the League he has performed his best in. He'll see it as a way to show he still has a lot to offer. He probably has an eye on the World Cup like so man other players do (Gomez, Lingard etc.). Then come summer time with 1 year left on his contract he can find a permanent move somewhere.

He doesn't need to get to the levels he hit with Liverpool. He doesn't need to get anywhere near it either to be an asset to Villa for 6 months. We were paying a £5m loan fee for Tuanzebe after all and at least half of that is now available. Look at Lingards reputation before and after his 6 months at West Ham. Look at Coutinho's loan spell at Bayern Munich the season they won the CL. 

Coutinho hasnt played in this league in 4 years. It will be more similar to Bale return last season 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Pretty sure it's because every top division team in Europe is scouting the players the same data driven way so the top clubs are picking up the players with the best numbers when they're 17-18 and stock piling them. If there's a LB with the same numbers as Digne he'll have been sanpped up long ago. As good as our scouting department is we've probably only improved it to be as good as the other top teams in the PL. I think everyone is essentially looking at the same data and therefore the same players. Science takes any randomness or outliers out of the picture.

And yet Brighton have just signed another. Burnley found Cornet, Watford signed Dennis. 

15 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well i think it's clear from SG's comments post that appaling Brentford performance, that the issue we have is the players keep dropping into this "too passive" mode. A "Lack of grit" i believe were his own words. That makes a whole lot of sense as we saw this same lack of "drive" very often with DS in charge too. To me that says we desperately need more leaders in the team.

We have bought good players but the stats men cannot see Grit or drive in the same way that they can see number of passes, goals or assists. I think we have to also take into account that the Premier League is full of gritty/ tough players & teams. Moreso than for example France, Germany or Belgium etc. So whilst stats for a player in France may look great they are simply not playing against the same level of gritty highly driven player and often die rather than fly as a result when they come over here. Some adapt, many do not.

To be passive & careless with the ball has been rife in this Villa team far too often for my liking for many years. It smacks of a distinct lack of drive in the team. If SG can sort this out he may just be onto something! The big issue is those are the players who will want to get the the most successful teams to quench their desire to win. 

One thing I used to coach people in business was "Skill can be learned but that "buring desire" or "drive" needed to truly succeed, cannot" or " someone with a lack of talent/skill but plenty of grit & determination will be more successful than someone talented who lacks focus/desire" For me this is what happened at Brentford for example.

It appears this is the issue here.

If you can find true talent coupled with that drive to succeed however....... Well that's a true recepie for success.

Over to you Stevie G

Agreed. We had no Mings and no Young against Burnley. So we had lost the on pitch leaders. We are also without Nakamba who is all grit and bite. You could see the half efforts to get to the man with the ball, not close enough to pressure him. Go back and watch their 2nd goal, look at what Luiz does when the ball is passed to Janelt. It's absolutely pathetic attempt to press, just slow and leaving him all the space he needs to play the ball in to the edge of the box. So passive and there is no doubt what so ever if that was Nakamba he'd be in aggressively. We lack leaders, we lack grit and we lack consistency. Roy Keane was such a good player because of the absolute standards he required from everyone all the time. We need that badly in midfield and we have needed it badly since we got back to the Prem.

I'd love it if we went for a Romeu for example. 

Edited by CVByrne
spelling
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Coutinho hasnt played in this league in 4 years. It will be more similar to Bale return last season 

Very poor example. Bale in terms of stats was a massive success in a struggling Spurs side. 

1 hour ago, El-Reacho said:

Pretty sure it's because every top division team in Europe is scouting the players the same data driven way so the top clubs are picking up the players with the best numbers when they're 17-18 and stock piling them. If there's a LB with the same numbers as Digne he'll have been sanpped up long ago. As good as our scouting department is we've probably only improved it to be as good as the other top teams in the PL. I think everyone is essentially looking at the same data and therefore the same players. Science takes any randomness or outliers out of the picture.

Data probably plays a big part yes, but at the end of the day the opinions of the scouts and coaches who actually watch these guys play will play just as big a part and that tends to vary a lot. At worst, some might straight up disregard the data altogether. Like, Tuanzebe for us and Rondon with Everton, I doubt these signings were really data driven and were mostly just the managers who liked working with them.

Secondly, there is probably a lot of data available but how this data is interpreted by different people is probably going to vary a lot too. 

I've seen enough bizarre signings relatively recently to know randomness and outliers still do happen.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

F it let's go for it!

Get Coutinho, Bale and Aaron Ramsey in on loan. £1.5m/w in salaries and neither of em' has played hardly any football in the last couple years. It'll be great.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Agreed. We had no Mings and no Young against Burnley. So we had lost the on pitch leaders. We are also without Nakamba who is all grit and bite. You could see the half efforts to get to the man with the ball, not close enough to pressure him. Go back and watch their 2nd goal, look at what Luiz does when the ball is passed to Janelt. It's absolutely pathetic attempt to press, just slow and leaving him all the space he needs to play the ball in to the edge of the box. So passive and there is no doubt what so ever if that was Nakamba he'd be in aggressively. We lack leaders, we lack grit and we lack consistency. Roy Keane was such a good player because of the absolute standards he required from everyone all the time. We need that badly in midfield and we have needed it badly since we got back to the Prem.

I'd love it if we went for a Romeu for example. 

Should have got him in the summer.

Hickey the favorite  to come in as left-back should our hierarchy meet the Bologna's hierarchy's £15m valuation, El Ghazi unhappy with his opportunites under Gerrard, Gerrard keen to find loan moves for Archer and Philogene-Bidace.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Hickey the favorite  to come in as left-back should our hierarchy meet the Bologna's hierarchy's £15m valuation, El Ghazi unhappy with his opportunites under Gerrard, Gerrard keen to find loan moves for Archer and Philogene-Bidace.

Source?

2 minutes ago, useless said:

Is this just words or have you actually got something?

37 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Difference is that Mourinho didn't want Bale, Levy did...

41 minutes ago, danceoftheshamen said:

Well i think it's clear from SG's comments post that appaling Brentford performance, that the issue we have is the players keep dropping into this "too passive" mode. A "Lack of grit" i believe were his own words. That makes a whole lot of sense as we saw this same lack of "drive" very often with DS in charge too. To me that says we desperately need more leaders in the team.

We have bought good players but the stats men cannot see Grit or drive in the same way that they can see number of passes, goals or assists. I think we have to also take into account that the Premier League is full of gritty/ tough players & teams. Moreso than for example France, Germany or Belgium etc. So whilst stats for a player in France may look great they are simply not playing against the same level of gritty highly driven player and often die rather than fly as a result when they come over here. Some adapt, many do not.

To be passive & careless with the ball has been rife in this Villa team far too often for my liking for many years. It smacks of a distinct lack of drive in the team. If SG can sort this out he may just be onto something! The big issue is those are the players who will want to get the the most successful teams to quench their desire to win. 

One thing I used to coach people in business was "Skill can be learned but that "buring desire" or "drive" needed to truly succeed cannot, or someone with a lack of talent/skill but plenty of grit & determination will be more successful than someone talented who lacks focus/desire" For me this is what happened at Brentford for example.

It appears this is the issue here.

If you can find true talent coupled with that drive to succeed however....... Well that's a true recipe for success.

Over to you Stevie G

If not beating a full back and putting a cross into the penalty area - comes under lack of grit - then agreed we definitely lack that. 

If lack of grit is every player running at 100 MPH for the first 20 mins (when we look good) but then unable to sustain it much past that - to me thats lack of technique and guile - not grit.

Boubacar Kamara still seem like the absolute no-brainer target for the club, especially since he's out of contract in the summer and Marseille need to sell in Jan to get anything for him.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hippo said:

If not beating a full back and putting a cross into the penalty area - comes under lack of grit - then agreed we definitely lack that. 

If lack of grit is every player running at 100 MPH for the first 20 mins (when we look good) but then unable to sustain it much past that - to me thats lack of technique and guile - not grit.

Grit is also winning second balls and not sustain attacks because of it,  when our attacks broke down against Brentford I can’t help but think if Nakamba was playing he would be winning the ball back 30 seconds  later and sustaining out pressure