Villa Park - Atmosphere [merged]

MaVilla

2 minutes ago, NeilS said:

I think we have confused matches. I think the match you are talking about the second Inter game with Bergkamp etc. I think I have got my dates wrong and that I am thinking of the first Inter match with Klinsmann, Mattheaus and Brehmer back in the Josef Venglos days, not long after Italia 90. My memory is hazy, but I think it might have been first year back in Europe for English clubs, and the atmosphere for that was even better than the re-match a few years later. Both matches were great atmopsheres though, with the re-match having a far happier outcome. We were cheated badly by a dodgy ref in the return leg at The San Siro, with their second goal being a yard off the pitch before they scored, as well as the ref blowing for a foul whenever we won the ball off Inter. (I still haven't got over that game if you can't tell 😂 )

The game you are on about we were 2.0 up then went to the San Siro and lost 3.0. I remember me and my grandad listening to the away leg on the radio and being gutted we threw away a 2.0 lead. Always a tough place to go and the refs did seem to favour the Italians which wasn’t uncommon for English clubs to be up against foreign refs. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Absolutely this, Was last minute decision for us, Throwing in the shit weather, Clusterfcuk of public transportation and up at the crack of sparrow for graft the next day still hanging from a stupid ‘o clock kick off time on a Sunday.

Still, Glad I went in the end  :D

Even if I had my season ticket still I probably would have gave this a miss purely because of the things you mention. The amount of times on a Sunday I’ve struggled to get back late in the afternoon . Horrible day for footy but it was a cracking game .

14 hours ago, Rugeley Villa said:

The trinity was rocking which it always did for the big games . If I remember right was the holte still being built ? Can’t remember if it had actually fully opened. Their keeper at the time was Pagluica who’s a big villa fan . Makes you wonder if he became a villa fan after that night at villa park 

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2014/05/09/inter-milan-goalkeeping-legend-pagliuca-reveals-villa-love

Q] When did you start supporting Aston Villa?

A] I am a Bologna fan. I grew up here so it would be impossible not to support the Rossoblù!

But I began to support Villa in 1981, the season when we won the League Championship.

I remember that the first private TV channels started to broadcast English football in Italy, and I became keen on the big challenge for the title with Ipswich Town.

It was a truly memorable season, even if the results did not arrive to me in real time like they do now!

What was it about Villa that appealed to you? I fell in love with the shirt, which is both beautiful and unique.

But the history of the club also fascinated me.

Legend!

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To each their own, but there's nothing I find my cringeworthy than club-driven atmospheres. Our habit of playing songs then silencing it at the right moment for us to join in with an approved chant is bad enough. It's a step away from printing out songsheets of things the club would like us to sing.

I'd be much happier if they turned the music off, shut up that gobshite with the microphone, and left the fans to get VP rocking.  Their pre-match and half time "entertainment" does more to harm the atmosphere than anything else, IMO.

Trying to get a song going? **** you, here's Crazy Train. 

Fair enough. I wouldn’t be pro this all game but perhaps just one loud intimidating chant that we can throw out every now and then. 

4 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

To each their own, but there's nothing I find my cringeworthy than club-driven atmospheres. Our habit of playing songs then silencing it at the right moment for us to join in with an approved chant is bad enough. It's a step away from printing out songsheets of things the club would like us to sing.

I'd be much happier if they turned the music off, shut up that gobshite with the microphone, and left the fans to get VP rocking.  Their pre-match and half time "entertainment" does more to harm the atmosphere than anything else, IMO.

Completely agree, I hate the tannoy/club driven atmospheres.  Maybe we can have better pre game and half time entertainment like they have in American sports because it would be nice to watch something rather than twiddle my thumbs like I do but club starting chants or songs im in the “no thanks” camp.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

Just watching the Milan Scouse game, and I love those tannoy led chants with the incredibly loud and really intimidating sounding responses. Wish we could do something like that. 

You know what, I totally take this back. It’s **** annoying now. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Completely agree, I hate the tannoy/club driven atmospheres.  Maybe we can have better pre game and half time entertainment like they have in American sports because it would be nice to watch something rather than twiddle my thumbs like I do but club starting chants or songs im in the “no thanks” camp.

Do you remember the song sheets on the seats for that blues game 🤦‍♂️ What on earth was the club thinking 🤔 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

The orchestration after the playoff final was utterly horrific. 

All we wanted to do was sing some of our songs loud and proud, sing some of the players songs, but no....here's a load of the songs we want played at 10,000 decibels over the tanny for you to chant a few words of the chorus every 30 seconds.  rocket polishers. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

On 07/12/2021 at 20:32, nick76 said:

Careful, they're already floating the idea of extending half time to 25/30 minutes to accommodate this sort of thing.

It's interesting how different countries have different atmospheres during games.

Apologies for the generalisation, but most English fans like to have a beer, a pie, and sing the odd Allez Allez/Yepikayey Yepikayo.

Look at German grounds where everyone is singing and jumping. When I say everyone, I mean 1/5th of the ground.

Look at polish/cech/other central eastern countries. Massive banners, constant singing, no "eat a pie" bullshit.

Italians with flares, and let's not forget to mention the south Americans.

English football has become a bit boring. It's an expensive hobby to go to each game, and there are a lot of kids.

I'm not saying it's worse - we just can't expect stadiums to be bouncing in England like we see abroad.

English football is a lot safer than it is abroad.

Should we change it to make it more "passionate" for a lack of a better word? And if so, how? 

I always liked waving scarves, to see 15k people doing so together and singing would look and feel great.

Maybe there are simply to many pie munchers?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

It's interesting how different countries have different atmospheres during games.

Apologies for the generalisation, but most English fans like to have a beer, a pie, and sing the odd Allez Allez/Yepikayey Yepikayo.

Look at German grounds where everyone is singing and jumping. When I say everyone, I mean 1/5th of the ground.

Look at polish/cech/other central eastern countries. Massive banners, constant singing, no "eat a pie" bullshit.

Italians with flares, and let's not forget to mention the south Americans.

English football has become a bit boring. It's an expensive hobby to go to each game, and there are a lot of kids.

I'm not saying it's worse - we just can't expect stadiums to be bouncing in England like we see abroad.

English football is a lot safer than it is abroad.

Should we change it to make it more "passionate" for a lack of a better word? And if so, how? 

I always liked waving scarves, to see 15k people doing so together and singing would look and feel great.

Maybe there are simply to many pie munchers?

I still think English grounds always seem a lot louder than those in Europe. Yes it might not be bright colours and well orchestrated singing. But boy do we make one hell of a noise even if it is mainly made up of drunk men shouting **** come on! 

It’s even more prominent in European games as well as Internationals. 

• Like 1

Â