Austin MacPhee

Strog

Interesting read, especially if it is the case that he has such an influence on the defensive set-up on set-pieces too. I've seen it said by several coaches, scouts etc that often set-piece coaches only look after the offensive side of things, as the manager/head coach will have their own ideas that they're wedded to in terms of how a team should defend them. Not that Gerrard needs any more criticism than he already (deservedly) gets but it would make sense that there's been such an improvement if this is the case.

On 16/04/2023 at 18:01, sidcow said:

Interested to know people's thoughts on leaving nobody back when we take a corner. 

It's a high risk strategy. Thought we were going to get caught by a breakaway yesterday, we inevitably will eventually. 

Not sure if this is MacPhee, more probably Emery as it's new maybe. 

I'd love to know the thinking. 

funnily enough, there is a new Tifo video out about Brentford's set pieces, and the fact that they do this "all players in/around the box" thing from corners.

I have timestamped the video for you, so just click on it, and it will play that part.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wedge said:

A lot of Villa fans were quick to slate MacPhee under both Dean Smith and Gerrard, I think he's been brilliant for us, we try different and clever things from attacking set-pieces (we won the game via one last night and it's not the first time we've won points from them) and look (touch wood) solid defending them. We were for decades the worst team in the country (opinion not a statistic) at throw-ins, it used to drive me nuts how long we'd take and then just waft the ball over the heads of everyone after an age of posturing on the touchline, we now just find one of our own player's feet quickly, what a novelty!

I think he deserves huge credit.

I agree and there's a reason he's been kept on all this time tbf. 

• Like 2

Remember how bad we were at corners a decade ago, our goals either came from a corner or very poorly defended cutback. That was a great read someone posted upthread regarding Austin, didnt realise he had that much licence, but now i come to think of it, him and emery do seem to be the only 2 you see standing around in the technical area

If especially Unai thinks he does great work he must be doing something right both with our set pieces and day to day in training. Even Gerrard used to say how hard he works and how good the sessions he did we're, not that Gerrard knew what he was talking about but it's confirmed now

20 hours ago, wedge said:

A lot of Villa fans were quick to slate MacPhee under both Dean Smith and Gerrard, I think he's been brilliant for us, we try different and clever things from attacking set-pieces (we won the game via one last night and it's not the first time we've won points from them) and look (touch wood) solid defending them. We were for decades the worst team in the country (opinion not a statistic) at throw-ins, it used to drive me nuts how long we'd take and then just waft the ball over the heads of everyone after an age of posturing on the touchline, we now just find one of our own player's feet quickly, what a novelty!

I think he deserves huge credit.

You're right. He deserves huge credit.

It goes to show what working under a brilliant manager - who actually has a clue - can do for you.

• 2 weeks later...
15 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Surprised he's not getting the full blame for conceding today 🤣

Why should he when it was clearly Purslow's fault. 

Â