Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

It all depends on where it is situated.

Closer to the city centre and think a reasonable amount of modern day fans would be receptive to that. Out in the sticks by HS2/NEC and very much less so.

I think all modern fans would prefer a new stadium not the ramshackle stadium we have right now where I can’t even get a beer and pie and is in the middle of a terrible residential area.

A Spurs style stadium at the NEC would be my first choice. 

Edited by ender4
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Captain_Townsend said:

OK, I will feck off so. I feel I am making serious points but if nobody cares why should I.

You make the same point multiple times per day tbf… it becomes tiresome tbh. Your views and stance are just as valid as mine but respectfully I can also challenge these and its the  regurgitation of the same point over and over without substance to back it up which I’m commenting on. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

Unless we develop the ground, we are going to be left behind on revenue. Rose tinted glasses off, VP is a bit of a 80s shit hole, with ole skool counters for food and drink, you can never get. The stadium has history, that's about it.

Visually VP looks fantastic when watching it on TV and it's full, colourful and bouncing.

However the concourses are simply too tight and not really places where you want to hang around even at half time. North Stand issues are well documented but it's equally as poor in the Witton Upper and I think the Trinity Upper was poorly designed aswell as it's very difficult to get round the queues even just going to the toilet at half time and pre match.

That''s about a a third of our matchday support basically being discouraged to buy anything due to endless queues and poor service.

I went to West Brom-Arsenal about 5 years ago and even at the Hawthorns the concourses are far wider and easier to be served if you set off as soon as the half time whistle goes. They built the stand I sat in a year after the Trinity was rebuilt.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ender4 said:

I think all modern fans would prefer a new stadium not the ramshackle stadium we have right now where I can’t even get a beer and pie and is in the middle of a terrible residential area.

A Spurs style stadium at the NEC would be my first choice. 

Ramshackle is harsh, that's Selhurst Park or Kenilworth Road.

We're a bit like Old Trafford. Famous old ground that's still great to visit and experience a live match but it's annoying when the roof is leaking or there are endless queues at the kiosks.

Ground at the NEC ould be too much West Ham I think. Excellent transport links and we could really market ourselves to the Milton Keynes area (always loads of Spurs/Arsenal fans milling around there on a matchday) but would just feel cold. Also would people eat at the ground with Resorts World on the doorstep?

As I've said before a plot of land found the other side of the ring road would be interesting imo.

You'd have JQ and Snow hill about 10-15 minutes walk away with the tram link aswell, plenty of decent pubs and it would be close enough still to our heritage.

Basically what Everton have done. They were talking about moving to Kirkby before that plot was purchased. Shame it's messed them up and could well cost them prem status but sometimes you have to take a step back in the short term.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, ender4 said:

That graph excludes cost of tickets so is literally money made from food, drink and merchandise. I doubt it’s increased by much because people want to buy more but there are no facilities to allow us to buy it.

I don't think it does exclude tickets - he's taken matchday revenue and for Spurs, I think matchday revenue includes tickets. 

It's really hard to break out the incomes from the stadium away from other things in clubs accounts - for example, in ours.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05891280/filing-history

We break it down like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 00.15.03.png

So it's easy enough to figure out what is gate receipts or ticket sales, (although that number suggests our average ticket price was about £25) but in terms of what's including in commercial, it could be a whole load of things, shirt sales, catering, non-matchday catering, use of our name in games, social media payments, Villa TV, any number of things. The catering income will definitely be in there, but it's hard to say what belongs on a matchday and what doesn't.

If he's using that commercial figure and coming up with £18.81 a head, then he's assuming 1.4m heads - we've never had a season long total of fans in the stadium that's more than a million (and this season should be our first) - so if he's using that figure he's adding at least 400,000 fans to our attendances.

Spurs accounts:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01706358

Are a little more opaque.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 00.25.20.png

So it's not quite clear where they report their stadium and matchday income - Match receipts definitely includes ticket sales, but at that rate makes Spurs average ticket prices around £95 suggesting that they report some of their hospitality income in there - but its not enough to include a million spurs fans spending £71.23m unless Spurs actually make just £35m on ticket sales (at about £32 a head). 

It could be that they include their catering incomes in their Commercial revenues as they don't separate out Sponsorship from Commercial - but if they do, I can't see any way that someone outside of Spurs accountants could tell you how that divides up.

Considering it's Kieron Maguire, it's either really badly explained or really badly done.

Whichever, it's hard to make any sense out of the numbers in the article in The S*n.

7 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I don't think it does exclude tickets - he's taken matchday revenue and for Spurs, I think matchday revenue includes tickets. 

It's really hard to break out the incomes from the stadium away from other things in clubs accounts - for example, in ours.

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/05891280/filing-history

We break it down like this:

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 00.15.03.png

So it's easy enough to figure out what is gate receipts or ticket sales, (although that number suggests our average ticket price was about £25) but in terms of what's including in commercial, it could be a whole load of things, shirt sales, catering, non-matchday catering, use of our name in games, social media payments, Villa TV, any number of things. The catering income will definitely be in there, but it's hard to say what belongs on a matchday and what doesn't.

If he's using that commercial figure and coming up with £18.81 a head, then he's assuming 1.4m heads - we've never had a season long total of fans in the stadium that's more than a million (and this season should be our first) - so if he's using that figure he's adding at least 400,000 fans to our attendances.

Spurs accounts:

https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01706358

Are a little more opaque.

Screenshot 2024-02-19 at 00.25.20.png

So it's not quite clear where they report their stadium and matchday income - Match receipts definitely includes ticket sales, but at that rate makes Spurs average ticket prices around £95 suggesting that they report some of their hospitality income in there - but its not enough to include a million spurs fans spending £71.23m unless Spurs actually make just £35m on ticket sales (at about £32 a head). 

It could be that they include their catering incomes in their Commercial revenues as they don't separate out Sponsorship from Commercial - but if they do, I can't see any way that someone outside of Spurs accountants could tell you how that divides up.

Considering it's Kieron Maguire, it's either really badly explained or really badly done.

Whichever, it's hard to make any sense out of the numbers in the article in The S*n.

Would you say other stadium income is in there too? NFL Concerts and so on?

We try that in the summer months but Spurs have it all year round.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

New ground will happen eventually in my opinion. It will be sad to see but in years to come the next generations will only ever know the new ground as the home of Villa Park.  

I mean the word 'eventually' means this is almost guaranteed to be true. It would be a surprise, as long as the club doesn't go out of business, if we didn't move 'at some point in the future'. However, I don't think you need to think you're likely to see it happen in the next decade or so, for starters. 

• Like 1

To increase revenue surely lowing the prices of confectionery on match days would help.

I go to VP a lot and only buy a bottle of pop if Im really desperate, Im assuming Im not the only one due to the extortionate price.

If a bottle pop is £3 and only 10,000 people buy it, would they be better off selling it at £2 and having 20,000 buy it.  Its not much in the bank but surely every penny in tills is better than nothing.

Plus if that's cheaper I would be more willing to but something else rather than choose one item over another....id but two...and thus more money in again????

As has been said on here, that many fans arrive 20 mins before kick off then leave straight after the game...

Well what is there to arrive early for or stay after the game for other than to avoid the awful traffic? I have to drive so no drinking for me.

Years ago when I used to go with my Dad on the old Holte End we used to arrive as the gates opened 1330 to be able to get a good spot. That meant 90 mins of standing watching VP slowly fill up (as well as blowing up loads of balloons 😀!) , you dare not move to get a pie or drink or you would lose your place.

If Villa need to increase "customer" spend then will they extended corporate Terrace View on the Holte End? increase season ticket prices etc?....i.e. do the "easy" stuff, but not worrying about the reaction from us supporters? this is my concern.

I think Heck etc will be delighted if they could double season ticket prices and attract more tourist fans like spuds, man yoo, liverpoo etc......and sod us regular fans....unfortunately this is where its going. The main issue is that VP is not exactly in a attractive touristy area.

Charging 2020's prices for a 1990's experience might lead to the "tourist" fans only coming over once but not again while driving away the local and loyal supporters.

I have looked at all potential revenue streams, ways of maximising commercial uplift, and analysed our rivals to see how to increase our turnover and have come to one firm conclusion.

We need to charge for the condiments for the half time hotdog.

Edited by The Fun Factory

33 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

I have looked at all potential revenue streams, ways of maximising commercial uplift, and analysed our rivals to see how to increase our turnover and have come to one firm conclusion.

We need to charge for the condiments for the half time hotdog.

There is no way i would be able to buy a hotdog at half time with the current facilities.

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

I think Heck etc will be delighted if they could double season ticket prices and attract more tourist fans like spuds, man yoo, liverpoo etc......and sod us regular fans....unfortunately this is where its going. The main issue is that VP is not exactly in a attractive touristy area.

This is definitely where we're going, and almost every decision since our new owners took over points to it - Heck isn't the bad guy here, he's doing the job the owners brought him in to do, like Purslow before him.

Every over the top price hike, recategorising areas of the ground, claret memberships, VIP areas, while appearing to keep general access in barely adequate condition all points to it.

Most fans will be priced out eventually, and some on here will applaud as it happens. FFP and modern football, ain't it.

• Sad 1

6 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

based on our recently reported losses. Im struggling to see where the club is getting the money to invest in a new stadium tbh

The stadium costs wouldn't be attached to our reported losses.  You also have to remember that whilst we've "lost" £130m according to the info published early - NSWE have actually made something like £400m in terms of the value of Aston Villa.  So it's very much a paper loss.  A new stadium would also significantly increase the paper value of the club - i.e. if the club is worth £500m on its current site then it would be worth significantly more in a brand new stadium that offered access to significantly more revenue streams.  NSWE probably aren't looking too closely at annual p/l (other than to check that we're complying with regs) because they're more interested in increasing the value of their investment.  There are countless businesses that have only ever made big losses but have sold / floated for a huge amount because people value the overall proposition more than its track record of p/l.

This is why I think the report is completely crazy.  We've got owners who have quadrupled the value of their investment being flagged as "at risk" whilst a club that has ****ed everything and is selling off everything they possibly can to stay afloat are being lauded as the pinnacle of FFP propriety.  It is just nuts.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Surprised Heck has not started us a Patreon account and maybe an OnlyFans as well

He has and we have all subscribed.

Just check out #C***SuckersRUs on OnlyFans. 

12 hours ago, S-Platt said:

Would you say other stadium income is in there too? NFL Concerts and so on?

We try that in the summer months but Spurs have it all year round.

Heard on a podcast Beyonce concerts etc count towards revenue which seems a bit unfair for football gains

1 minute ago, Kiwivillan said:

Heard on a podcast Beyonce concerts etc count towards revenue which seems a bit unfair for football gains

We should just construct a crude oil refinery in the North Sea that doubles as a football stadium. Sure, attendances will be in the dozens at best, but we'd literally be an oil club and extremely FFP-compliant.

• Like 1

Â