Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

The current set up, especially in the almost 50 year old North Stand is not designed for fans spending money. When I go to Villa I have to eat in the city centre and then go to Villa Park. Drinks also difficult unless you want to miss the game queuing up!

The redevelopment and Warwhouse etc would have addresses that and also provided proper GA+ premium etc in a New stand fit for purpose.

Speculate to accumulate innit.

Edited by Captain_Townsend
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

The current set up, especially in the almost 50 year old North Stand is not designed for fans spending money. When I go to Villa I have to eat in the city centre and then go to Villa Park. Drinks also difficult unless you want to miss the game queuing up!

The thing is, if we were to double the amount of food and drink we sell at Villa Park, you're probably looking at improving matchday income by at the very most 20% and matchday income is only 10% of our total income - so doubling the amount of food and drink would add maybe 2% to our figures at the very best. In the scheme of things it's not a major factor - a better sleeve sponsor would make twice the impact.

• Like 1

Increasing revenue would help a great deal

I have said it before and some have said here...they spend before they get to the ground.

I would pay more if i get more....for example...if a bottle of pop was £2 id buy two one for me and one for my lad....instead of it being £3.50 and share....yes its only pinds and pence more to the club but you get 40000 each home game it will son add up...that goes for food....merchandise too. 

Those match day, commercial and sponsorship numbers are absolutely anaemic, some championship clubs are probably getting similar. Price will have to go up to bridge the gap somewhat but everyone is moaning about that.

People spend before they get into the stadium because the service is an absolute joke. Many people including myself have simply given up on getting food inside the stadium and just get food before the journey to the stadium. The club told me on the phone when I was complaining about this that it might be a better idea to get food from outside the ground and bring it into the stadium! 

I and many others just stand back and laugh amongst ourselves at the ineptitude of the workers struggling to pass people a bowl of chips within a minute. It's embarrassing. 

• Thanks 1

Look we are never going to match the revenue generating capacity of Spurs, Arsenal, even the likes of a West Ham, and soon Everton by standing still and doing nothing with the stadium and I am surprised that I even have to post that. It isn't sustainable.

The current offering isn't up to it so money on food and drink leakes on match day out to non Villa businesses in the Birmingham area.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Captain_Townsend said:

Look we are never going to match the revenue generating capacity of Spurs, Arsenal, even the likes of a West Ham, and soon Everton by standing still and doing nothing with the stadium and I am surprised that I even have to post that. It isn't sustainable.

The current offering isn't up to it so money on food and drink leakes on match day out to non Villa businesses in the Birmingham area.

Yes, if they aren't going to do anything with the North Stand at least in the short term they could remove some of the parking spaces and put up more pop up food and drinks facilities on match day, and move the parking to the new academy building,

17 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Yes, if they aren't going to do anything with the North Stand at least in the short term they could remove some of the parking spaces and put up more pop up food and drinks facilities on match day, and move the parking to the new academy building,

I agree completely with moving that car park for something that generates money. I can’t think of many stadiums that have a car park right outside (maybe old Trafford) but not many. 

should we not look at Liverpool and how they seem to have been able to rebuild 2 stands while keeping the existing stand partially open plus I would guess they have also improved revenue streams in the existing stands like the kop as well. The holte end as an example is pathetic when it comes to food and drinks service and quality 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, punkiller1981 said:

I agree completely with moving that car park for something that generates money. I can’t think of many stadiums that have a car park right outside (maybe old Trafford) but not many. 

should we not look at Liverpool and how they seem to have been able to rebuild 2 stands while keeping the existing stand partially open plus I would guess they have also improved revenue streams in the existing stands like the kop as well. The holte end as an example is pathetic when it comes to food and drinks service and quality 

That is what is sooo frustrating at Villa. We have had this enormous area of land we own on-site just sitting there not making money for years.  And in the meantime, comparable clubs to us have done far more difficult things such as buying land and redeveloping or building entirely new stadiums in the 25 years that we have just sat on our hands.

4 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Increasing revenue would help a great deal

I have said it before and some have said here...they spend before they get to the ground.

I would pay more if i get more....for example...if a bottle of pop was £2 id buy two one for me and one for my lad....instead of it being £3.50 and share....yes its only pinds and pence more to the club but you get 40000 each home game it will son add up...that goes for food....merchandise too. 

Agree.

There is nothing that’s good value once you get inside the ground.

I mean a can afford extortionate prices for crap food/drink but I choose not too pay.

Im sure there are many more who simply don’t see value so don’t buy.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

I know its mentioned often but the Spurs stadium has a wide array of food types at a premium price with excellent customer service. This should be the target.

It's a great target in terms of customer experience, but in terms of income it means just about nothing.

By the looks of things, we're making maybe £3-4m a year on our food & drink offers, and we're making more of that in Hospitality than we're making in the concourses. So maybe £1.5m a season - up that by 25% with better offers and you add £375k - or an increase of about 0.16% to our overall income.

8 hours ago, villarule123 said:

People spend before they get into the stadium because the service is an absolute joke. Many people including myself have simply given up on getting food inside the stadium and just get food before the journey to the stadium. The club told me on the phone when I was complaining about this that it might be a better idea to get food from outside the ground and bring it into the stadium! 

I and many others just stand back and laugh amongst ourselves at the ineptitude of the workers struggling to pass people a bowl of chips within a minute. It's embarrassing. 

This is the issue. The other clubs get fans to the ground earlier and serve them better. The revenue from match day is basically just the ticket sales no other income because we're so poor at that. 

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

By the looks of things, we're making maybe £3-4m a year on our food & drink offers, and we're making more of that in Hospitality than we're making in the concourses. So maybe £1.5m a season - up that by 25% with better offers and you add £375k - or an increase of about 0.16% to our overall income.

We’ve calculated many times previously on VT that just letting everyone buy 1 more drink (on average) would add £4-5 million to the matchday revenue.  

£5 (1 drink) x 38k (people) x 23 home matches = £4.4 million.

In reality, some people will buy nothing extra, but many people would buy 3-4 additional drinks, plus food, if the club gave us an opportunity to with better facilities and service.

Thats a huge increase on our current matchday income. 

Edited by ender4

16 minutes ago, ender4 said:

£5 (1 drink)

How much of that £5 is tax, the actual cost of the drink, plus there will be sundries like filling and cleaning the delivery machine, extra insurance, etc. Extra security, extra janitorial requirements. I don't think the calculation is as simple as you make out.

29 minutes ago, ender4 said:

We’ve calculated many times previously on VT that just letting everyone buy 1 more drink (on average) would add £4-5 million to the matchday revenue.  

£5 (1 drink) x 38k (people) x 23 home matches = £4.4 million.

In reality, some people will buy nothing extra, but many people would buy 3-4 additional drinks, plus food, if the club gave us an opportunity to with better facilities and service.

Thats a huge increase on our current matchday income. 

How do these people who buy an extra couple of pints get home safely ? No way the current set up supports fans travelling by public transport and will be reliant on cars… 

22 minutes ago, thabucks said:

How do these people who buy an extra couple of pints get home safely ? No way the current set up supports fans travelling by public transport and will be reliant on cars… 

Me? Sometimes I catch a taxi there and back, sometimes by train, sometimes 1 of our group will volunteer to drive, and occasionally we’ve been dropped off and/or picked up. Even if one person is driving, he’ll still join us for 1 beer and some food before the match (which we buy before getting to the ground). I think between the four of us, we’d spend £120 per match at Villa Park if we had options, availability and service. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ender4 said:

Me? Sometimes I catch a taxi there and back, sometimes by train, sometimes 1 of our group will volunteer to drive, and occasionally we’ve been dropped off and/or picked up. Even if one person is driving, he’ll still join us for 1 beer and some food before the match (which we buy before getting to the ground). I think between the four of us, we’d spend £120 per match at Villa Park if we had options, availability and service. 

Literally the same - used to be three of us that shared the driving. I can pretty much guarantee the two drinkers would have 4 minimum pints and a pie or a burger. There's absolutely no argument that they wouldn't have more if they could get served easier in the ground. We were always there 2/3 hours before kick off, 3 pints an hour, that's a lot of wonga between three of us.

• Like 1

I've said it elsewhere, but Chelsea away probably 15/20 years ago, were pouring six pints at a time, one tap. Unless I'm being dumb, why are we not doing that? Why don't we have the bottle bar in the Lower Holte any more? I know we're not talking £000,000s here but surely to god it helps? 

2 hours ago, CVByrne said:

This is the issue. The other clubs get fans to the ground earlier and serve them better. The revenue from match day is basically just the ticket sales no other income because we're so poor at that. 

But yoi Don't see redevelopment as the solution?

Â