Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

8 hours ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I cannot remember any pre season that has been so well thought out . We will have definitely gained fans for life . I do think Purslow got his comma in the wrong place with the 3 million. There again i have 8 friends that live in Oz and there are 3 plus their families that are Villa.

well it’s all here.

https://thewest.com.au/sport/soccer/aston-villa-manager-steven-gerrard-opens-up-on-australian-sporting-culture-at-the-west-event--c-7589782

Aston Villa chief executive Christian Purslow has backed manager Steven Gerrard to help restore the club to its “natural position” and believes the pre-season tour of Australia will lay an important platform.

Purslow used Thursday night’s sold out An Evening With Aston Villa function at Optus Stadium, presented by The West Australian, to declare securing a return to Europe this season was the goal...

“We’re trying to make this great club return to its natural position in English football,” he said…

Purslow said Gerrard, who he lured last November, had the ability to inspire recruiting targets to join the Villa cause.

“We met Steven 24 hours after Dean (Smith) left and he joined the club 24 hours later and that’s the way we like to do our business at Villa,” he said.

“And we were absolutely certain he was the right man. Steven has never been interested in mediocrity. That’s not the way he’s wired.

“We underperformed last year. I hate being 14th. I never dreamt I was going to be 14th. This season, we want to be fighting for those (European) places and we’re not ever ashamed to say that.”

Purslow said Australia ticked the key boxes for a pre-season destination with competitive matches, great practice facilities and a chance for the squad to bond, factors which outweighed the travel distance and jetlag.

“It’s been fantastic to be in Australia,”

“We have three million Villa fans in Australia, can you believe that? That is why we’re here.

“Australia, last year, was the fastest growing TV market worldwide for the Premier League. Aston Villa’s audience in the last 12 months grew over 100 per cent.”

Purslow had no issue with the monster salaries earned by current-day stars on the back of lucrative TV rights deals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Had no clue we had 3 millions fans in Australia. Wow 

I just cannot see it. Because if so then there are more in Australia than in the UK.  Premier League fans maybe, but Villa. I know we are massive but unless everyone from North Birmingham has emigrated to Oz in the last 50 years i just cannot see it 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Villa_Stateside said:

The population is 26 million. I just hard time believing it lol

25 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

I just cannot see it. Because if so then there are more in Australia than in the UK.  Premier League fans maybe, but Villa. I know we are massive but unless everyone from North Birmingham has emigrated to Oz in the last 50 years i just cannot see it 

It sounds good, so I'll continue to bask in my delusion of our grandeur my sirs... Thanks. Lol

Yeah I think he might have gotten that wrong, or been misquoted lol.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Haha 1

We've had a fair sprinkling of Australian players down the years. 

Was Tony Dorigo one of the very first players to make it big in England? 

I'm sure Bosnich must have attracted a lot of interest for us. 

isnt Football like the 5th most popular sport in Australia......no chance we have 3 million fans down under especially since we have had one Aussie international in 20 years and he was only here for 6 months

11 minutes ago, sidcow said:

We've had a fair sprinkling of Australian players down the years. 

Was Tony Dorigo one of the very first players to make it big in England? 

I'm sure Bosnich must have attracted a lot of interest for us. 

When national team around 2000s got good I imagine Everton, Fulham and Leeds would have gained more fans for having big Aussie internationals 

I was at Villa Fulham in the Lambert reign of terror and was a few Aussies in the neutral stand cheering on Schwarzer

36 minutes ago, Zatman said:

isnt Football like the 5th most popular sport in Australia......no chance we have 3 million fans down under especially since we have had one Aussie international in 20 years and he was only here for 6 months

You’ve forgotten the mighty Mile

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

3 surely? 
Herd

Holman

Jedinak

But yes 3 mill seems a lot 

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

3 surely? 
Herd

Holman

Jedinak

But yes 3 mill seems a lot 

I had forgot Jedinak, was just thinking of our Premier League times.  Holman was who I mentioned as wasnt sure Herd ever won caps but seems he did

On 04/03/2022 at 22:46, maqroll said:

Cazoo is alright. I hope we never get another betting site. 

Eventually we should look to get a blue chip sponsor. Coca Cola in gold lettering would look nice. 

Tesla or SpaceX ....bit of innovation.

3 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Had no clue we had 3 millions fans in Australia. Wow 

What........ 8.5% of the population?

have they got that right?

hope they don't all turn up one day....we'll never get away from the ground.😅

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Was about 500 people at the Brisbane game, was very empty stadium

Way more than that .

40000 with a stadium capacity of 52000. 

Of the 40000 I would guess it was 60/40 in favour of Villa fans.

Great day out!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â