Increasing Club Revenue

hippo

Interesting - Everton are a risky proposition at the moment, with the small threat of relegation and the big threat of their ownership money disappearing - you can see why Cazoo would be happy to stick with us.

They paid Everton more than us this season, so you'd hope next season comes with a bump up on our numbers - we're a good proposition, with great owners, a rising profile and a secure position - that we're staying with them might say something about the market for shirt sponsorship or it might mean they're paying a lot more than they were - sadly we won't know which it is until the accounts come out for next season in 2024.

• Like 2

On 12/08/2021 at 01:47, Hiney said:

As a Villa fan living abroad I totally agree with this.

I'm based in Thailand and football is huge here. Leicester are Thai owned so you'd expect to see a big presence for them but you also have football academies run by other clubs like Arsenal and Chelsea. 95% of the shirts you see the locals wearing are the obvious Liverpool, Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea & Leicester 

It's near on impossible to find any Villa merchandise here or anything promoted by the club. I'd imagine it's similar all around the region (India, China, Japan, Korea etc) and is a really untapped market.

Increasing the fan base globally will have an effect on direct revenue such as shirt sales and merchandise but the main benefit is we would be more likely to attract larger sponsorship deals if we had a truly global fan base, this is where the big money is. 

Brand promotion, has so many knock on advantages, even recruitment.....but the biggest tool is winning football matches....and I think we are trying to do that.

I believe we have a real savvy commerical outlook, but it takes time and has to be in sync with our football status.

My understanding is the villa merchandise is accessible on line, so anywhere in the world, can be reached....that sort of thing has a domino effect.

There are well documented, pockets of Villa interest in African countries, but I do agree, we could be doing more.

I guess the entry in to the MLS with Las Vegas Villains, will enhance our prominence in the USA...and open up new opportunities.

Edited by TRO

2 hours ago, Rich192 said:

Cazoo for another year. They’re a good sponsor, hopefully we’ve got a much bigger fee for the year though. 

Hmmm that’s disappointing unless they are paying us a LOT more than last year. 

I was expecting us to at least double or triple our shirt sponsorship fee from the last deal.

As the MLS have a centralised collective shirt deal with Adidas, that excludes the chance for mega deal for both (Villa) Las Vegas Villans and the original and one and only Aston Villa. Which is a shame as the cross marketing opportunities would’ve been massive and skyrocketed our earning potential. It could work with a global shirt sponsor hopefully.  I wouldn’t be too surprised Las Vegas get Fortress or Brightline initially … 

Edited by thabucks
  • Like 1

Cazoo is alright. I hope we never get another betting site. 

Eventually we should look to get a blue chip sponsor. Coca Cola in gold lettering would look nice. 

13 hours ago, maqroll said:

Cazoo is alright. I hope we never get another betting site. 

Eventually we should look to get a blue chip sponsor. Coca Cola in gold lettering would look nice. 

What's worse? A betting site or a drinks company that allegedly hired far right militia to murder union officials at bottling plants?

EDIT: I wouldn't want either of them

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sparrow1988 said:

What's worse? A betting site or a drinks company that allegedly hired far right militia to murder union officials at bottling plants?

EDIT: I wouldn't want either of them

Say what now

1 hour ago, maqroll said:

Say what now

It is a while back (20 years or so) now tbf but here's a link to an article about the case. I remember asking my father why he suddenly started buying Pepsi instead of Coca Cola.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2003/jul/24/marketingandpr.colombia

Trade unions around the world have launched a boycott of Coca-Cola products, alleging that the company's locally owned bottlers in Colombia used illegal paramilitary groups to intimidate, threaten and kill its workers.

The unions claim Coca-Cola bottlers hired far-right militias of the United Self Defence Forces of Colombia (AUC) to murder nine union members at Colombian bottling plants in the past 13 years.

There's also a wikipedia page about the case - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinaltrainal_v._Coca-Cola_Co.

Edited by sparrow1988
  • Like 2
  • Shocked 1

Cazoo is great. Not a dodgy betting company or some embarrassing crypto shit. It looks pretty good on the shirt. I'm sure they're paying us market value, but if they're not, there's absolutely value in having a more respectable shirt sponsor.

Perplexes me how Villa fans are ready to sell the likes of Davis and Targett for cheap when player sales are the easiest way to increase revenues.  I think I read that we get 8M annually from Cazoo.  If we can sell Targett for 20M instead of 15M   or Davis for 10M instead of 5M   we are basically earning 60% of the Cazoo sponsorship from that incremental increase.  Club needs to be ruthless in our player trading.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, nepal_villan said:

Perplexes me how Villa fans are ready to sell the likes of Davis and Targett for cheap when player sales are the easiest way to increase revenues.  I think I read that we get 8M annually from Cazoo.  If we can sell Targett for 20M instead of 15M   or Davis for 10M instead of 5M   we are basically earning 60% of the Cazoo sponsorship from that incremental increase.  Club needs to be ruthless in our player trading.

Yes but we also need to increase Commercial and match day revenue by £100m a year to start getting close to the top 6.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

Yes but we also need to increase Commercial and match day revenue by £100m a year to start getting close to the top 6.

That is known and has been mentioned several times, including by myself, earlier in this thread.

4 hours ago, YLN said:

I still haven't ever had a Cazoo, but @GarethRDR tells me that the banana flavour is very refreshing

I'm afraid these last few years I've firmly entrenched myself in the middle class by moving onto Cocio. 

The milkshakes of the proletariat don't get a look in any more.

3 hours ago, AV82 said:

Money aside it's worth it for the nice non-invasive logo. Happy enough with that.

👆 *ding ding ding* 👆

We could be sponsored by the Latvian National Goat Interference Brigade, as long as it was on one line, white plain font, just lettering (and we are reasonably compensated) I'd be a happy camper.

• Haha 1

On 04/03/2022 at 18:58, ender4 said:

Hmmm that’s disappointing unless they are paying us a LOT more than last year. 

I was expecting us to at least double or triple our shirt sponsorship fee from the last deal.

Really ?

Based on what ?

30 minutes ago, hippo said:

Really ?

Based on what ?

The fact that our last deal with Cazoo was terrible in the grand scheme of things. We were getting more for our shirt sponsorship in the days of FX Pro and Genting.     

As a mid-table team, you’d have hoped that  Purslow could sell our sponsorship to maybe half the level of Spurs?

Or at least a record deal compared to 7-10 years ago. Even just Genting money plus 10 years of inflation.

Â