Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

In The Times - online just now

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/leon-bailey-assisting-police-investigation-into-alleged-assault-on-fan-5dlbdkpjt

Leon Bailey assisting police investigation into alleged assault on fan

Sources said the altercation centred around a supporter entering Bailey’s box, where his family — including his heavily pregnant partner and four-year-old child — were, asking for a picture and an autograph.

Bailey, who scored in Villa’s first home game of the season, is understood to have declined the request for the photograph and subsequently an argument broke out.

The player will fully cooperate with the police inquiry but sources are hopeful he will not have a case to answer to once all of the facts have been obtained.

Bailey, who signed for Villa in 2021, provided the assist for John McGinn’s opening goal on Sunday afternoon before scoring his side’s third in the second half. Unai Emery was particularly impressed with the way the winger linked up with new signing Moussa Diaby.

“Last week the connection between Diaby and Leon Bailey was not good but this week it was much better, but we have to continue working because Moussa Diaby needs time to connect and understand his team-mates perfectly,” the Villa manager said.

Emery’s side travel to Scotland on Tuesday before their Europa Conference League play-off game against Hibernian on Wednesday night.

Edited by MikeMcKenna

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Bailey being investigated over an alleged assault of a supporter an hour after Sunday's game. Hopefully nothing in it.

It doesn’t say who allegedly assaulted who does it?

The statement 

Link

“We’re investigating after a man at Aston Villa Football Club was allegedly assaulted at just after 5pm yesterday (Sunday).

“Officers will be speaking to all those involved and we are liaising with officials at the club to establish the full circumstances. Enquiries are on-going.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Well he's being investigated. So the accusation is against him. But as the previous few posts have shown, he'll hopefully be in the right when all is on the table.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

The statement 

Link

The rank entitlement of some fans to harass players in a private area for him, his family and children. Hopefully it's dropped and no further action happens. Give the man and his family some privacy FFS. 

Edited by The_Steve
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

No, you're not being realistic or objective. Quite the opposite, in fact.

If you think a goal, assist and setting up a key chance for a penalty is an average performance by a premier league winger, then I have no idea what reality you're living in. 

Didn’t he put one on a plate for Diaby too who scuffed his shot?  Everton were awful but to say Bailey was just average yesterday is weird in my opinion. 

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Didn’t he put one on a plate for Diaby too who scuffed his shot?  Everton were awful but to say Bailey was just average yesterday is weird in my opinion. 

He gave it to Luiz instead of diaby as he was running onto the ball but the angle for a shot closed down so Luiz layed it off to diaby. In hindsight the initial pass to diaby would have been better but you can't necessarily predict the gap would close.

Plus Bailey laid the ball off in front of diaby earlier in the game and he couldn't get onto it as he was wrong foot forward initially so couldn't step with his right and strike with his left. 

Bailey created a tonne of opportunities this game and people saying he was average are showing their bias. 

• Like 2

He frustrated me no end last year but watching the video the club put out showing all of the goals we scored last season did surprise me when I realised how many goals he was involved in. Weirdly a lot of them very early on in matches at home. He’s been nothing more than an average signing so far for the money spent but he does seem to get more stick than he probably deserves.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He also got the assist for the penalty by heading the ball to Watkins who then had his head decapitated from his body. (Almost).

Edited by Don_Simon
Spelling

Bailey was good yesterday, a few iffy moments where he gave the ball away ridiculously cheaply but everything else was bang on and got a really good assist and a decent goal too. Bailey obviously has talent but one good game for every 5 or 6 poor ones isn’t good enough, he needs to play like he did vs Everton every week not just once every couple of months 

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

No, you're not being realistic or objective. Quite the opposite, in fact.

If you think a goal, assist and setting up a key chance for a penalty is an average performance by a premier league winger, then I have no idea what reality you're living in. 

We will go around in circles with this. Personally I believe him to be quite fortuitous with both his assist and goal and we could be having a very different conversation today. The goal in particular for starters, he had a huge target in which to aim at, yet he shot straight at the keeper! Why would you do this ? Serious question and risk the keepers legs blocking it?

I think he has been pretty bang average during his time at the club, last week being a particular low.

So for me - he must do much, much more than yesterday and if/when he does so, I will give him the due credit.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, mole86 said:

He frustrated me no end last year but watching the video the club put out showing all of the goals we scored last season did surprise me when I realised how many goals he was involved in. Weirdly a lot of them very early on in matches at home. He’s been nothing more than an average signing so far for the money spent but he does seem to get more stick than he probably deserves.

Oddly also in games where we start kicking towards the Holte.

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

He was good. Yes he's had many of these false dawns before, and yes it was Everton, but it's a long old season and we're going to need him so long may it continue. I think Diaby will bring the best out of him.

At this point, it may be a moot point. He's not had enough good form either to make him attractive for the transfer market OR to dispel doubts about his future at Villa. Again, we're all going to have to "hurry up and wait."

The main problem i have with Leon Bailey is that we all know he can play like he did on sunday.

The Frustration is that that performance is usually few and far between.

I am really hoping that teaming back up with diaby can spark him back into being more consistent.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

'Very unfair'? He was awful at Newcastle and rightly criticised for his performance.

We've seen those types of performances all too often from Bailey. Like others have said, unless he can start playing well consistently at home and even once maybe away, that would be a start. 

He wasn't that bad. People came on here after that diabolical result and the first person they criticised was Bailey.

We conceded 5 goals, Every defender except Mings was at fault, kamara was all over the shop, Konsa's mistake killed us, but Bailey got the baulk of the criticism. Tell me how that wasn't unfair!?!?

Bailey wasn't that bad, the reality was we couldn't handle their high press, couldn't handle them on the transition (that wasn't because of Bailey) but we didn’t do badly going forward in the first half, Bailey got fouled all over the place, and ref give him no protection whatsoever!

• Like 1

He played well, not sure it can successfully be argued he didn't.

Yes his goal when you watch the replays, was fortunate to go through the keepers legs, but it went in from a shot on goal 

I don't care how we score or who scores as long as they count.

He does however still have a fair way to go to showing he is a reliable player. I think some games he is going to look terrible, mainly against fast powerful teams, he doesn't seem to want to know in those games, but normally oddly enough, puts in half decent performances against man ure.

With zaniolo as an option now Leon will have to get more reliable.

• Like 1

Â