Leon Bailey

PaulMcGrath_5

On 02/04/2023 at 10:04, DJBOB said:

Think he might get a start against Leicester. Young put in a strong shift and don’t know if he’s up for 90 against Leicester. Unai might go with a more defensive RB with Chambers and have Bailey on for the counter. 

Reasoning wrong but I had that feeling! Go on Leon. Unai trusts him on so will I 

• Like 1

I never want to see him in a villa shirt again.

The amount of times i seen him given the ball only to pass it back to Young because he was terrified to try anything with it and on the small occasions he did the defenders just pressured him away because he's so one footed and can't beat a man.

Completely useless.

Edited by AshVilla

Almost cruel of Emery to leave Bailey on the pitch that long. Guy is hopeless. Zero confidence and instead of playing it simple using his pace to just go round players he tries to dribble. Couldn't pass wind atm.

I don't really get the criticism, he is clearly adapting to the Emery style. Gone is the headless chicken bursting forward and hoping something good will come out of it, now he is much more careful with the ball, meaning he doesn't do the one on ones as much, but rather keeps the ball, passing it back to Young or to a midfielder. He has the trickery in his locker and it will come off now and then, a bit more confidence and he will get there. He stretched Leicester quite well by drifting out wide, and they often doubled up on him.

He is not usless at all, he is just playing a bit smarter than before, being more careful with the ball. With a bit of luck he could have had a goal and then it would have sounded differently on here.

1 minute ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

I don't really get the criticism, he is clearly adapting to the Emery style. Gone is the headless chicken bursting forward and hoping something good will come out of it, now he is much more careful with the ball, meaning he doesn't do the one on ones as much, but rather keeps the ball, passing it back to Young or to a midfielder. He has the trickery in his locker and it will come off now and then, a bit more confidence and he will get there. He stretched Leicester quite well by drifting out wide, and they often doubled up on him.

He is not usless at all, he is just playing a bit smarter than before, being more careful with the ball. With a bit of luck he could have had a goal and then it would have sounded differently on here.

The issue is whenever he tries to do anything that isn't keep ball, it leads to nothing. His crosses were terrible, his shots were off target, he didn't beat a man once. 

He can't be playing the role he is and creating nothing. Low on confidence and doesn't seem to have pushed on after his recent assist. Not sure he ever will at this rate. 

2 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The issue is whenever he tries to do anything that isn't keep ball, it leads to nothing. His crosses were terrible, his shots were off target, he didn't beat a man once. 

He can't be playing the role he is and creating nothing. Low on confidence and doesn't seem to have pushed on after his recent assist. Not sure he ever will at this rate. 

Yeah, the contrast with Moreno on the other side was pretty stark.

EDIT - not that they play the same position, but you know what I mean.

Edited by Panto_Villan

Although he didn't stand out in any way I will defend him and say he was solid. He wasnt bad and it was a tough game where often he was getting crowded out. Moreno seemed to have much more space on his side but he was excellent anyways. Of course he needs to improve in terms of goals and assist but he'll produce something before the season is out I'm sure.

Edited by birdman

His crossing and general play was a disgrace when we were playing 10 men. Looked like he was just having a sunday park kickabout.

I've defended him a fair amount over last year but it's just not going to happen given the huge improvement from likes of McGinn, Luiz and Mings in last six months and Bailey looks even more average than he did under Gerrard.

Move him on to Ajax if they still want him for 15m.

1 minute ago, av1 said:

Poor again. If we swapped him and Barnes today would have been 4-0. Needs upgrading. 

Barnes was great, great touch and had the beating of Young every time. Would be a huge upgrade on Bailey.

Â