Euro 2020 : Semi finals and final

BOF

17 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Your conspiracy stuff does get a bit ridiculous sometimes.

Don't think for a second that UEFA has any love for England but they absolutely have a financial interest in the home teams, in this instance England reaching the finals. It's the same with FIFA.

The stage has been set for England to reach the finals in this tournament, but they still would not have been there unless they also did the job on the pitch so well done them.

39 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Has there ever been fans banned for pointing a laser? 

Has it happened before? My understanding is it's a crime, so I would imagine that if someone were caught they would get banned.

4 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I missed ... there's no third/fourth play off. Is this a one off or has it been done away with ... or is it a Covid thing?

Not been one since 1980 at the Euro's.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

I'm fine with that. England, just like most home teams at big FIFA and UEFA tournaments have gotten a lot of things going in their favor this time. It's similar to South Korea at the 2002 WC.

Not for me to rate the severity of racist chants compared to laser pointers in they eyes and families getting assaulted and spat at but I think there is zero chance that no home fans was an option for the finals. For obvious reasons.

Like what? 

One penalty for which there was contact but it was questionable as to how much? From a ref that had proven himself to be soft throughout the duration of the game, including 2 soft free kicks that led to the Danish goal? 

I'm not sure what else England have had, the comparison with South Korea is way off 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Like what? 

One penalty for which there was contact but it was questionable as to how much? From a ref that had proven himself to be soft throughout the duration of the game, including 2 soft free kicks that led to the Danish goal? 

I'm not sure what else England have had, the comparison with South Korea is way off 

I know we disagree on this one but I feel they got very fortunate to not have any red cards against Germany.

Also found it strange that the ref was not told by VAR to go watch the video for the penalty dive against Denmark.

It's not really that big a deal to me as it might seem because it's standard procedure that home teams get the 50/50 calls in their favor.

Edited by sne

11 hours ago, MNVillan said:

I fully support England because on social media I always feel supported by English Villa fans when going through hard times (found a massive amount of support when Mrs MNVillan went through chemotherapy in 2019). I want that to be a two way street. I’m taking off work early to watch the match on Sunday and I’ll be wearing my England shorts (yes, shorts) while watching.

I’m American, and **** I’m jealous of how you all must feel right now, and the potential for Sunday is massive. Enjoy it, savor it, and bring it home.

Just don’t support the Packers.

Thanks.

There is always a special bond between Great Britain and America and I include Eire in this.

so thanks once again for your support.

I hope your wife is recovering well, that's the most important thing.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

I missed ... there's no third/fourth play off. Is this a one off or has it been done away with ... or is it a Covid thing?

Never really understood the point of the 3rd/4th play off. 

Just let them go home and deal with the disappointment of not making the final. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Rds1983 said:

Frankly, millionaire footballers going home and dealing with their disappointment won't get a lot of sympathy from my end of the couch.

6 minutes ago, sne said:

I know we disagree on this one but I feel they got very fortunate to not have any red cards against Germany.

Also found it strange that the ref was not told by VAR to go watch the video for the penalty dive against Denmark.

It's not really that big a deal to me as it might seem because it's standard procedure that home teams get the 50/50 calls in their favor.

I actually thought Denmark was very physical and in many cases clattered us as opposed to tackling us.....but I don't want to use excuses, its a mans game.

I have huge respect for Denmark, but feel sad derogatory views can be mustered against a bunch of young lads, who show respect to every opponent.

I am hugely proud of our lads, no matter what, folk find against them.

We have had our unfair share of incidents over the years that have denied our progress in competitions, i.e The hand of God, being the most contentious one....so maybe it's our turn for a bit of good fortune?

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Don't think for a second that UEFA has any love for England but they absolutely have a financial interest in the home teams, in this instance England reaching the finals. It's the same with FIFA.

The stage has been set for England to reach the finals in this tournament, but they still would not have been there unless they also did the job on the pitch so well done them.

perhaps its a hanover from the song Contest....where we are deemed world enemy No 1.

If we had to dine out on love for us, we would starve.

1 minute ago, TRO said:

perhaps its a hanover from the song Contest....where we are deemed world enemy No 1.

If we had to dine out on love for us, we would starve.

I wouldn't know, not watched the Eurovision since 1984 or so :D Not sure it's quite as corrupt as football but it might well be I guess.

1 hour ago, Rds1983 said:

Agree. It only makes sense in the context of the Olympics where someone has to win a bronze medal.

4 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

Yes it used to happen fairly regularly in football and US sports

Thanks; a brief Google shows lots of instances of reporting that this had happened, but sadly not whether the perp was caught (and what happened to him if so). Other sporting instances I'm seeing are American.

There is some evidence out there that people do get into big trouble for this stuff, eg this guy was jailed for shining a laser at a police helicopter: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-50570932

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sne said:

Now I know what you mean 👍

Rice was lucky

Phillips I'm honestly not sure, ampadu I thought was a really harsh red, been a couple since that have only been yellows, its been inconsistent 

My opinion on using VAR to try and decide the extent / exaggeration of contact was discussed a few days ago, I don't agree with it, black or white, contact or no contact I think use VAR, grey areas like how much contact I don't want VAR for that 

Edit - setting ourselves up nicely for the Italians to rob us blind tomorrow... 

FWIW I do think increasingly that the PL is soft as shit and the contact fall over stuff is as bad from the English players as anyone else, I firmly believe that sterling gets that penalty in the PL rightly or wrongly, the ref in the Denmark game was the most PL I've seen so far in a tournament where they've largely moved away from it

Edited by villa4europe
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, av1 said:

Big Dion was on 5 live commentary for the semi final, much better than the parts on TV. 

There was good banter with big Dion and Chris Sutton in the Italy v Spain game last week. They even spoke to Martin Laursen prior to kick off.

Much better than those dicks on BBC1.

3 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

There was good banter with big Dion and Chris Sutton in the Italy v Spain game last week. They even spoke to Martin Laursen prior to kick off.

Much better than those dicks on BBC1.

It seems the commentary is also on BBC Iplayer, I think by the radio guys, so we can all avoid the BBC studio knobs

• Like 1

Â