Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Absolutely flabbergasted - only word for it - by how bad Germany were. I've been watching tourneys since the Berlin wall came down and I have never, ever, seen them play that poorly.

They did lose to South Korea in 2018

2 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Sterling was absolute shit.

End of

I agree to a extent. 

Got to give him kudos for being in the right place and the right time and for scoring the goals. For this I would have him ahead of Kane at the moment. 

What annoys me some what is listening to the pundits who make out he's the English Messi.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Kane was much worse I thought. Regardless of him poaching a goal his lack of fitness will continue to cause issues.

Perhaps ... but for me it is England's inability to try and pass the ball forward until the defense is set that bugs me. We had  a little bit of hoof ball(not much) to Sterling which is OK up to a point ... keeps the defense on their toes. But how many Grealish-Shaw-like passes did we have that actually threatened the German defense?

In short the mid field was poor at passing the ball forward ... does not matter what Kane's fitness is or is not.

Edited by fruitvilla
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, sidcow said:

That's the long, short and tall of it. He's the luckiest man alive because minus the 3 goals his tournament has been an absolute horror show. 

Nah he was best English player in the pitch tonight 

What that says about England is another thing... That we play to sterlings strengths is another....

As I said whilst frustrated in the first half, you can say grelaish slows play down, this word removed is downright ponderous, ball in feet he spins round 4 times beats his marker beats himself then plays the ball backwards... He's a strange player, so unnatural 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

But he was constantly running into the defence.  Beat a man or two looking flash then get tackled by the third. 

Constantly failing to pass to men in space and instead go on a headless chicken run.  I can't imagine what you possibly saw that impressed you. 

He was direct, took players on, made a great run in the first half which led to a good chance for Kane and he carried it on in the second half, not only that he did a fair amount of defensive work too. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Perhaps ... but for me it is England's inability to try and pass the ball forward until the defense is set that bugs me. We had  a little bit of hoof ball(not much) to Sterling which is OK up to a point ... keeps the defense on their toes. But how many Grealish-Shaw-like passes did we have that actually threatened the German defense?

In short the mid field was poor at passing the ball forward ... does not matter what Kane's fitness is or is not.

This. The build up play is either incredibly ponderous or a hopeful hoof. 

It's obviously been effective but is a criminal underuse of the players and potential of this team. 

I feel like a lot of fan hate on Sterling unfairly. He is a very good player, with good stats for several consecutive seasons. And the best manager in the world rates him. 

He played well tonight. If you play Kane, you need a player good at running beyond the striker and this is why Pep always plays Sterling.

He doesn't have Jack's quality on the ball, but not a single English player does. I felt the 523 / 343 was the wrong formation to play.

I still think England would have been better with Jack as number 10 and one less central defender. But it got the job done. The fact is if Muller scores that great chance it's 1-1 and anything can happen. Small margins. This was a 50 - 50 game where we got the luck.

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

I hope Sweden win this, mainly for the Swedish fans on VT. But also for the pervy cameraman shots of the pretty Swedish ladies on Saturday

I'm convinced, Sweden for me too

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, ender4 said:

I guess we prefer to play Sweden over Ukraine?  Or pretty much the same whoever we play?

Sweden vs England has been a tasty fixture over the decades. 2 games up for England

Games won: 9
Games drawn: 9
Games lost: 7

Â