Euro 2020 : Round of 16

BOF

England stepped up. They got it done when it mattered. You have to applaud them. They need to enjoy this evening. And fans and media alike, stay grounded. Nobody will remember this result if they don't turn up Saturday night.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Fully accept that it works to a degree, it’s just dull as **** and hard to get behind.

It is but you know Portugal won the exact same way despite having Ronaldo and some other good attackers in final third. Just endlessly defended but it was enough v Croatia, Poland and Wales and then by time they got France in the final they have incredibly confidence they wouldn't concede.

Think there are parallels here. Despite all the stick England haven't conceded a goal now in 4 games. Rode their luck today at key points but got the breaks which you also need and Portugal also got in 2016.

I'd completely agree this approach won't be enough to beat Belgium/Italy/Spain (although Italy were nulified when they played at Wembley last round) but won't play any of them before the final and of course playing it at Wembley will also be a huge boost, a neutral venue today and I think Germany win the game but can't underestimate home advantage for mentality in sport particularly with plenty of fans back in.

I think England will get to the final now.

To be fair to Sterling he's been johnny on the spot goal poacher where it mattered, doing what Kane (until just now) should have been doing. 

1 minute ago, Sulberto21 said:

Told you all Germany lack strikers. Only problem now is they've got Hansi Flick coming in. They're going to be incredibly ruthless again. Next tournament onwards. Gulp.

They played a good first half but were really poor in second I thought. Considering both England CMs were on yellows they hardly had any control and miles off what they had 7 years ago with Schweingstiger, Lahm and even Ozil.  Missed all those types today and Kroos badly declined.

Â