Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

11 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I'm not sure I'm so patriotic that I'd want us to win the tournament playing like this.  It would feel a bit empty.  I suspect we will get our arses handed to us in the next round anyway.

Just imagine we won the tournament without a single exciting moment along the way. After about three days it would be as if it had never happened.

• Like 2

Results are overall,  decent. But we're none the wiser how we'll fare in the big games. We could be in for something amazing, or something expected. Not excited but as usual, hopeful. 

Some thoughts:

southgate is a poor to bad manager obviously.. but we topped the group. 
England's worst player this tournament has been harry kane.
Dean Smith gets a lot more out of our players with a poorer squad to work with (but a lot more time so...)
Grealish should never pull a face when being subbed. We know how it looked with Barkley, just dont do it.
We will go out first decent oppo we face.

Edited by ciggiesnbeer
  • Like 2

Pickford - playing well

Defence - was perfectly fine but again hardly tested, Maguires pass to kane was superb, think in general between them and the midfield they still pass for passings sake rather than look comfortable, its mad how many passes they make to a guy who has absolutely nothing on, he doesn't want it

Midfield - where our problems are, rice and Phillips again didn't work, never looks like working, rice was wasted shirt, phillips is blatantly on instructions not to pass on anything that flirts with adventurous but also a couple of times his anticipation was really poor and slow, Henderson is in no way near fit enough, thought it was interesting that Henderson of all people had grealish moaning about the ball being smashed clear rather than passed out, really like Bellingham 

Attack - sterling hitting the post is what I think Southgateball is, great run, great ball was unlucky but good luck doing that vs kimmich next week if we play them... Sterling sees far too much of the ball, not sure if he has a senior pro thing going on or what but we almost try to play through him and he's definitely not that player, he's also very guilty of the passing to a man who then has no pass on thing, Kane thinks he's Wayne Rooney and a) he's not and b) Wayne Rooney was also shit and **** infuriating when he did this Roy of the Rovers bullshit, saka was MOTM

Grealish was OK, didn't play in his position, struggled to get involved as we were largely poor on the ball, what he did do was play with his head up which made him better than most of what we've seen from England in 3 games, always seemed to look for the easy forward ball which the rest of the team are making look like the hardest thing to do in football

We have the players to play much better football but a manager who's not only incapable of it but looks downright scared to do it, it's painful to watch 

• Like 1

England will be beaten next game 100%. 

Feels like i'm living in a parallel universe. Media banging on about brilliant sterling - took his goal 1 yard from the goalline thanks to jack. Refuses to pass to anyone else and loses the ball at evrry opportunity.

Saka motm after 30 mins of a good percormance.

When does the premur league start again???

1 minute ago, villa4europe said:

We have the players to play much better football but a manager who's not only incapable of it but looks downright scared to do it, it's painful to watch 

Nail on the head. A back 4 who should be able to play out but never do, serious depth in the squad for creative players but we are still reliant on balls over the top for the likes of Sterling to run onto - and absolutely no managerial pressure on our main striker, guaranteed his spot come what may and especially by us taking only one other striker with us. He's gotten us the results we need to qualify for knockouts - but it will take something unexpected, a bit of individual brilliance or some very late gelling of players - to see us go any further. 

Â