Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

11 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

We've topped the group and I don't think I felt so abject as I do now as an England. Not even Capello in SA or Roy and the Costa Rica not getting out the group era.

It's genuinely football terrorism.

He’s a genius, avoiding winning by too many goals as it creates drama, a circus and raises expectations (according to Gary Neville at least).

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Belgium weren't the proposition they were these days in 1990. They were average.

Holland was in the group stage. We've beaten the odd team in the group stage but in knockout games we just never find a way to win. Here's the full list of knockout games we've won since 1966

World Cup '86 - Paraguay

Italia '90 - Belgium & Cameroon

Euro '96 - Spain (Pens)

World Cup 2002 - Denmark

World Cup 2006 - Ecuador

World Cup 2018 - Columbia & Sweden

That's it. 8 games in 55 years. Only one of those at the Euros.

Wow, that is absolutely shocking

14 minutes ago, Giro said:

Wow, that is absolutely shocking

My favourite bit is the 12-year gap. 5 tournaments in between that we either failed to qualify for, or failed to get out the group stages, or lost at the first hurdle.

I think the flipside to that list is that by historical standards, 2018 really was a major success.  I know we had an 'easy route', but the bottom line is that was our best tournament performance since I was 10 years old.

• Like 2

So the ITV studio pundits this afternoon reckon we need to go 3 at the back, with two wing backs and two fast wide wingers to support Kane - so who will play in the middle?!?? 

surely the idea of wing backs is they’re the width??? 

The mind boggles how these charlatans get paid and people listen to what they say. 

if we go with 3 centre halves (which we haven’t for over 6 months), two wing backs and continue to field Rice and Phillips we’ll not threaten the opposition half the whole game! 

Just now, theboyangel said:

So the ITV studio pundits this afternoon reckon we need to go 3 at the back, with two wing backs and two fast wide wingers to support Kane - so who will play in the middle?!?? 

surely the idea of wing backs is they’re the width??? 

The mind boggles how these charlatans get paid and people listen to what they say. 

if we go with 3 centre halves (which we haven’t for over 6 months), two wing backs and continue to field Rice and Phillips we’ll not threaten the opposition half the whole game! 

To be fair... 

Pickford 

Walker Stones maguire mings saka

Phillips Bellingham Henderson 

Sterling grealish

Kane

Would actually be alright imo 

The problem is it would be rice instead of Bellingham giving us nothing in the middle, I also think he'd go Shaw instead of saka which would reduce the attack, walker instead of mings with then trippier at RWB, foden right so no grealish 

I like 5 at the back saka and grealish on the left if I'm honest, that would be our best attack based on what I've seen so far 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

To be fair... 

Pickford 

Walker Stones maguire mings saka

Phillips Bellingham Henderson 

Sterling grealish

Kane

Would actually be alright imo

We might have a decent chance Tuesday if they let us start 12 players, for sure :P

• Haha 1

If we managed to progress i'm not even sure i'd watch it in a pub. 

I used to get really excited for the tournaments - buy an England shirt, watch the games with my mates in bars/pubs. Last few tournaments though, my energy has just been sapped. 

Its genuinely poor football. 

19 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we managed to progress i'm not even sure i'd watch it in a pub. 

I used to get really excited for the tournaments - buy an England shirt, watch the games with my mates in bars/pubs. Last few tournaments though, my energy has just been sapped. 

Its genuinely poor football. 

Its got vibes of 2016

Watched the first game in the pub in kiddy, about 12 of us, spent the day in there on a monster session, watched the game stayed there all night, placed was packed, 2nd game I was in France and watched it in a pub there, 3rd game vs Slovakia I went to and it was genuinely the worst game of football I've ever seen, it was a horrific 0-0 draw, looked it up cos I can't remember anything of merit, we had 29 shots 0 on target, they also had 0 on target 

Got home and went to the same pub to watch the Iceland game, 3 of us went, pub was near empty, I'm sure that was a Monday or Tuesday night 8pm kick off

Everyone knew what it was before it even kicked off, this shock that they painted it out to be... There was a lot of anger but not much shock 

This has the same feeling

To be fair the world cup in 2018 was the opposite, that was great in the pub in the sunshine but southgates come full circle, we  will lose to a better team but its still as deflating as Iceland 

Edited by villa4europe

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Its got vibes of 2016

Watched the first game in the pub in kiddy, about 12 of us, spent the day in there on a monster session, watched the game stayed there all night, placed was packed, 2nd game I was in France and watched it in a pub there, 3rd game vs Slovakia I went to and it was genuinely the worst game of football I've ever seen, it was a horrific 0-0 draw, looked it up cos I can't remember anything of merit, we had 29 shots 0 on target, they also had 0 on target 

Got home and went to the same pub to watch the Iceland game, 3 of us went, pub was near empty, I'm sure that was a Monday or Tuesday night 8pm kick off

Everyone knew what it was before it even kicked off, this shock that they painted it out to be... There was a lot of anger but not much shock 

This has the same feeling

To be fair the world cup in 2018 was the opposite, that was great in the pub in the sunshine but southgates come full circle, we  will lose to a better team but its still as deflating as Iceland 

WC '14 was terrible as well

I remember watching our must win game vs Costa Rica in a bar with work colleagues. 0-0. I don't think we were even watching the game by the 2nd half.

8 hours ago, Genie said:

Whilst other pundits seem to have distanced themselves from OTT praising of Southgate for obvious reasons, Neville seems to have doubled down.

England looking pretty poor-average in the group games is actually a sign of Gareth’s genius because it shows calm and control, apparently.

Cracks me up on Talksport (yes started to listen everyday when I'm on the road) the pundits they have on to discuss the England games are all Southgate's mates. Stuart Pearce, Trevor Sinclair, I mean how can you have a balanced view. An as for Townsend this morning, I think he's still looking for his place in the squad. No one mentioned how dour the second half was just praised the defence. Actually they didn't talk a lot about England at all, shite speaks volumes.

Out the next round guaranteed!!

41 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Out the next round guaranteed!!

If we do, I hope its like Brazil losing to Germany in the last WC

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

If we do, I hope its like Brazil losing to Germany in the last WC

Got that feel about it hasn't it

If we lose I hope we lose by 7 and they sack him 

Just hope it's not Portugal shit housing a penalty so everyone can say it was VAR that knocked us out, that would be the worst possible outcome 

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

If there's any shred of defence I can find for Southgate, it's that a pragmatic and defensive approach does historically win tournaments.

However, that obviously only happens if you manage to beat those big teams.

Tuesday night honestly changes everything. If we can raise ourselves to beat whoever it is we face then we suddenly become one of the genuine favourites

Thing is if the performances can reach something like the first half of the Czech game then if we won it, amazing. If we won it and 80% of games are like the second half, or the Scotland game, or most the Croatia game, it’s just going to feel hollow. I’ve barely felt engaged thus far.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, a m ole said:

I’ve barely felt engaged thus far.

Half the time I don't know what they (England) are even trying to achieve for large spells of the game.  I don't think that helps to the overall engagement,  you could nip into the kitchen, install a new dishwasher come back and we are still knocking it around. 

Playing it from back as is the new thing is not supposed to just stop, is it ?  It's like they all hide from the pass.  Its a bit mental really at this level.,

• Like 2

Â