Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Just now, It's Your Round said:

Southgate’s ‘Classic Bruce’ tactics have ruined this Euros for me. It’s become hard work watching England, frustrating and boring. No amount of hearing Gareth and the pundits tell us that we need be defensively solid and try to nick a goal will make me agree. Football should be entertaining

I honestly feel that if England were to win the tournament playing like they are, I’d still find it hard to get excited. It would be good to win it, but it would feel like a hollow, undeserved victory. 

He ha s the players too to play teams off the park. Too late now though as has left it too late, not that he knows how to play offensively anyway. Clown.

Just had the misfortune of reading a BBC post about Croatia's win last night.

It took me to the second post when somebody mentioned the English, and then every other post after that.

Those North of the Border really hate us! So sad.

10 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

I very much doubt Southgate is going to get sacked if we lose the next game. The World Cup is next year isn't it? The FA will back him all the way.

He's Jogi Low. Here for a decade + ...without the WC medal.

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

I very much doubt Southgate is going to get sacked if we lose the next game. The World Cup is next year isn't it? The FA will back him all the way.

If they sacked him who would take over?

We don't have a Deschamps or Mancini who could take over. Best we could get is Howe

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Skruff said:

What an amazing team England could be.  Oh well. 

This one in my mind has a different feel to it

Previous tournaments where we under perform I come away thinking this player and that player aren't actually that good, the PL is overrated, the style of play doesn't suit international football, shit refs etc etc

Got none of that this tournament 

Genuinely believe this is a good squad that could happily play better football if the manager wanted them to, even those players that I don't rate like Declan Rice I think he's playing in a different role to what he does at West Ham, there's maybe about 4 players in any starting 11 that play in the same position and style as they do for their clubs 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Neville has been a cheerleading dribbling idiot ever since getting sacked by Valencia.

Whilst other pundits seem to have distanced themselves from OTT praising of Southgate for obvious reasons, Neville seems to have doubled down.

England looking pretty poor-average in the group games is actually a sign of Gareth’s genius because it shows calm and control, apparently.

3 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

This one in my mind has a different feel to it

Previous tournaments where we under perform I come away thinking this player and that player aren't actually that good, the PL is overrated, the style of play doesn't suit international football, shit refs etc etc

Got none of that this tournament 

Genuinely believe this is a good squad that could happily play better football if the manager wanted them to, even those players that I don't rate like Declan Rice I think he's playing in a different role to what he does at West Ham, there's maybe about 4 players in any starting 11 that play in the same position and style as they do for their clubs 

It's such a talented squad. Feels a bit like, sky's the limit. But theres a ceiling called Southgate that's keeping them from reaching it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Just had the misfortune of reading a BBC post about Croatia's win last night.

It took me to the second post when somebody mentioned the English, and then every other post after that.

Those North of the Border really hate us! So sad.

It's a very similar dynamic to the Villa/SHA relationship.

3 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

We haven't beaten a "good" team in the knockout stages of a tournament since 1966

Belgium were pretty good at Italia 90. Holland 1996?

1 hour ago, darrenm said:

Belgium were pretty good at Italia 90. Holland 1996?

Belgium weren't the proposition they were these days in 1990. They were average.

Holland was in the group stage. We've beaten the odd team in the group stage but in knockout games we just never find a way to win. Here's the full list of knockout games we've won since 1966

World Cup '86 - Paraguay

Italia '90 - Belgium & Cameroon

Euro '96 - Spain (Pens)

World Cup 2002 - Denmark

World Cup 2006 - Ecuador

World Cup 2018 - Columbia & Sweden

That's it. 8 games in 55 years. Only one of those at the Euros.

I'd say the best team in there is Spain in '96. And that wasn't the Spain that we've known for the last 10-12 years
Any time we come up against a team with pedigree we lose. Which obviously you'd expect us to lose a lot because those teams are better than us. But I guess my point is other nations find a way to win games when they maybe shouldn't at least some of the time. Germany italy France Brazil etc have all had times when they're not THAT good, but they still go far in tournaments because they can beat good teams. Like Man Utd under fergie. Even the times when their squad hasn't been elite, they have a winning mentality that gets them through games.
We've never really had that.

I'm not trying to be negative. if this squad raises their game we CAN win on Tuesday. All I'm saying is it would genuinely be an absolutely massive result

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

We've topped the group and I don't think I felt so abject as I do now as an England. Not even Capello in SA or Roy and the Costa Rica not getting out the group era.

It's genuinely football terrorism.

• Like 2

Â