Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

16 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We don’t need Rice and Phillips - one of them is enough. This is one of the reasons we’re not getting the ball forward. 

both can regain possession but they only know how to pass backwards, sideways or simply.

Bellingham, Foden (or JWP) would be a better option partnering one of Rice and Phillips.

Completely agree

The worst thing is that social media and the forums of both West ham and Leeds are full of complaints that both players play a different and better role at club level, pinpointing Southgate as holding them back

The same can be said for James and Shaw last night 

He's got them all on a leash 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Actually Souness on ITV just said it how it is with England whilst Neville still pussy footing around saying we have no ball playing centre backs and that we have no choice but to play  Rice and Phillips. 

I can't stand Souness and he's been (understandably) totally pro Scotland but he's the only one I've seen questioning tactics properly and team selection. 

Also said we weren't much good against Croatia either which most English commentators seem blind to. 

I like Neville usually but he has a massive hard on for Southgate. So I’m not surprised he’s finding a way to blame the players 

22 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Completely agree

The worst thing is that social media and the forums of both West ham and Leeds are full of complaints that both players play a different and better role at club level, pinpointing Southgate as holding them back 

All the talk has been that you can’t play Grealish and Foden together when this is the real problem 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

International football is slow, but that was beyond ponderous from England yesterday. 

Rice and Phillips is a dire, insipid combination. Two bang average Premier League players who are scared to pass the ball forwards for England.

Mount has to play CM, at least he can take the ball on the half turn. He’s not a true CAM at all, he’s just not creative enough. Frustrating that Southgate resorts to “but I’ve played 4 attacking players!” when Mount plays as an 8 for Chelsea.

Kane is getting hammered but tell me a chance that England have created for him in two games? The guy has had zero service. Sterling and Kane do not link up well. I know Kane needs runners in behind, but there is just zero connection between the two.

Shaw offered nothing going forward. Again, Southgate has picked the option which makes England more solid. No wonder the football is so bad. Chilwell isn’t the best defensively but he’s not exactly a liability either. He actually has composure/ quality on the ball too and imagine he’d have at least tried to overlap for Jack instead of just being stood there with his hands on his hips.

Neville trying to make out Mings is the problem in distributing is really bizarre. Rice/ Phillips would just tap it back to him. Literally zero impetus from them, both happy to get through 90 minutes doing absolutely as long as they have not made a mistake.

Southgate has already wasted a talented generation in a wide open tournament. He’s stubborn, scared of losing and just tactically inept. His handling of Grealish has been embarrassing to be honest too.

I just hope he uses the Scotland performance to mix it up, pick the best footballers and actually serve up a performance people can enjoy watching.

Play: Pickford, any of the RBs, Stones, Mings, Chilwell, Bellingham, Mount, Sancho, Foden, Grealish, Kane

I agree, aside from defending Kane. The guy needs to be somewhere near the box, interested in putting the ball in the net, if he wants ‘chances’. He sees himself as some sort of **** Tom Brady, and the manager won’t tell him to go be a centre forward.

Edited by a m ole

2 hours ago, theboyangel said:

We don’t need Rice and Phillips - one of them is enough. This is one of the reasons we’re not getting the ball forward. 

both can regain possession but they only know how to pass backwards, sideways or simply.

Bellingham, Foden (or JWP) would be a better option partnering one of Rice and Phillips.

Not the case at all with Phillips. As you've seen with Croatia he can do things Rice obviously can't. The issue is that he's being relied on in a role he's not comfortable in.

Rice does nothing, completely nothing. Sticks to the centre backs and plays it 5 yards.

Now we're relying on a DM being played out of position to play short intricate passes and advance up the pitch, roll a player and move forward. That's never going to happen and it's made by Rice's inability to advance play. This isn't a double pivot as people like to moan about, this is a 3 in midfield and Rice takes the holding role but he does so by completely avoiding any offensive responsibility.

Play Phillips in Rice's role and now we have a DM that will advance the play, and an actual box to box that can do other things without the sole responsibility of moving it up the pitch on them.

Anybody trying to say Rice should be playing over Phillips is basing it on either personal bias or some media idea that Rice is a top drawer DM capable of playing at any club in the world.

Not to bang the Ward-Prowse drum again but perhaps getting rid of him was a bad move.

Phillips and Ward-Prowse would have been a better combination.

Rice and Phillips play the ball sideways at least Ward-Prowse looks to go forward.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Not to bang the Ward-Prowse drum again but perhaps getting rid of him was a bad move.

Phillips and Ward-Prowse would have been a better combination.

Rice and Phillips play the ball sideways at least Ward-Prowse looks to go forward.

Careful there - the resident Leedzzz fans will take offence 

prepare yourself for a lecture on how good leedz are… 😂

personally i think you’re spot on.  I also think either Foden or Bellingham would be a better option to partner one of the two DMs instead of using both. 

11 minutes ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Poetry :)

It’s madness isn’t it, why not play it out wide then swing in a cross to the 3 in the middle? Nah, it’s too much fun being a headless chicken.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, a m ole said:

I agree, aside from defending Kane. The guy needs to be somewhere near the box, interested in putting the ball in the net, if he wants ‘chances’. He sees himself as some sort of **** Tom Brady, and the manager won’t tell him to go be a centre forward.

That’s how he plays though? He got the most assists (as well as the most goals too) in the PL last season playing like that. He’s a world class talent.

It’s a tragedy Southgate can’t get these players to perform. Taking Kane off when you need a goal is criminal (leaving two defensive mids on...). Just how bad is the system not to create Kane a chance in two games against Scotland and Croatia.

Edited by Cizzler

3 minutes ago, Cizzler said:

That’s how he plays though? He got the most assists (as well as the most goals too) in the PL last season playing like that. He’s a world class talent.

It’s a tragedy Southgate can’t get these players to perform. Taking Kane off when you need a goal is criminal (leaving two defensive mids on...). Just how bad is the system not to create Kane a chance in two games against Scotland and Croatia.

Throughout the league season his great assist tally was mostly attributed to his almost telepathic connection with Son. He’d play balls without looking knowing Son would be making that run. Not that surprising it’s not working for him in regards to the national team IMO.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cizzler said:

Then we either need to set the team up to play to those strengths, or play a centre forward who actually plays as a centre forward

Southgate harping on about experience being needed all the time. Translates to playing his favourites who play for United/City/Chelsea. 

Like he's pretty much said Sancho hasn't been playing because it's his first 'big tournament'. 

9 hours ago, Cizzler said:

Pickford,

any of the RBs, Stones, Mings, Chilwell,

Bellingham, Mount,

Sancho, Foden, Grealish,

Kane

This. It's so obvious.That front 6,  with the middle 3 switching places behind an in form striker would be electrifying.

Watkins instead of Kane and playing a high tempo high press, we'd give anyone in this tournament a game, and smash the minnows.

I'd drop Kane for anyone else up front. He looks totally bereft of any interest in playing football right now.

• Like 2

Â