Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Kane

Sancho    Grealish    Foden 

Rice    Mount 

Thats the midfield and attack I'd go for against Czech Republic. Sancho and Grealish interchanging would be a nightmare for any opposition. 

Rice sitting as the solitary hodling MF with Mount linking the play. Kane would be far more effective with some actual supply.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Kane

Rice    Mount 

Thats the midfield and attack I'd go for against Czech Republic. Sancho and Grealish interchanging would be a nightmare for any opposition. 

Rice sitting as the solitary hodling MF with Mount linking the play. Kane would be far more effective with some actual supply.

That looks good but where is Sterling and Rashford......he won't pick it for that reason

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

So you are telling me those teams play, with no provision to win the ball back?...I simply don't accept that.

its a fundamental part of the game.

Centre midfielders win the ball back. 

0-C3-FC05-C-728-C-4-D52-8-E05-9-EEAC83-E

0-CD0-D87-A-1739-46-D8-B58-F-8046-BB2471

Theres a place for holding midfielders, I don’t think England should need them against the likes of Scotland though. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, StanBalaban said:

Kane

Rice    Mount 

No we need to treat every opposition like they are prime 2008 Spain and for that reason

Rice Phillips Coady

Henderson 

Don't want to do anything maverick and you know...take the game to the opposition press high overload vastly inferior opposition and get the ball forward and score goals or anything silly

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Genie said:

Theres a place for holding midfielders, I don’t think England should need them against the likes of Scotland though. 

Rodi passes the ball forward and Kroos pings it all over the gaff. The issue ain't the centre midfielders is it. Its the manner they play and clearly we are under instruction to strangle the life out the game.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

If you're genuinely expecting a resignation, or even a sacking, part way through a tournament, you're going to be disappointed. The best we can hope for is a more positive manager in time for the World Cup.

Yes it was more wishful thinking then expectation. Like Santa

If we do improve in this tournament and get to Semi or further we will never get rid of him

1 minute ago, Genie said:

I think we are crossing wires here....the centre midfielders, usually one drops off to hold and protect the back for and one drifts forward and helps scheme...depending on the formations.

my point is....players have to be responsible, for defending or attacking, despite some being able to do both at will.

but football is a changing dynamic mid game and roles take on varying tasks as you are playing in your half or theirs.

every player can do offensive and defensive things as required.....but equally responsibilities have to apportioned as their priority.

as an example....Mings can score from a corner, but his prime function, is to defend.....Jack can win a tackle, but his prime function is to attack.

I sometimes think our players (England) don't go much beyond their prime function......as another example, John McGinn was doing a bit of everything.

Would anyone take Aidy Boothroyd as the next England manager?

No, thought not. Yet he has followed a similar path to Southgate and arguably achieved more at club level (as a manager that is). He is a poor manager and it was a terrible appointment. Since overlooking Clough for the top job everyone has always known that the idiots at the FA want yes men. 

5 minutes ago, av1 said:

Would anyone take Aidy Boothroyd as the next England manager?

No, thought not. Yet he has followed a similar path to Southgate and arguably achieved more at club level (as a manager that is). He is a poor manager and it was a terrible appointment. Since overlooking Clough for the top job everyone has always known that the idiots at the FA want yes men. 

In a nutshell, they are appointed for the wrong reasons.

Southgate is getting on my tits. "Blame me don't blame the players, there are a lot of young players not played in a game like that before, so we need to get behind them"!!

1. They are young but by far have the experience to handle a game against Scotland, even the likes of Sancho, Bellingham, could have ripped them a new one.

2,  It's coming to bite him, not getting the best out of Kane, shoulda took another striker, although it would only take half decent tactics get the best out of Kane (if he is not injured, which I personally think he is), but he is more interested in defence than attack, we all know that.

An while I'm on a rant. I like Stuart Pearce I really do, but he is the most biased commentator I have every heard, an there are a few. It's Southgate's bestie, he will say nothing against him at all. This morning on Talk Shite, he agreed with the tactics, agreed with the subs, agreed with the change of team, an just blamed James and Rice being off form, when in reality they shouldn't have both played together. Also disagrees with nearly every pundit, that Southgate still don't know his first team.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think we are crossing wires here....the centre midfielders, usually one drops off to hold and protect the back for and one drifts forward and helps scheme...depending on the formations.

my point is....players have to be responsible, for defending or attacking, despite some being able to do both at will.

but football is a changing dynamic mid game and roles take on varying tasks as you are playing in your half or theirs.

every player can do offensive and defensive things as required.....but equally responsibilities have to apportioned as their priority.

as an example....Mings can score from a corner, but his prime function, is to defend.....Jack can win a tackle, but his prime function is to attack.

I sometimes think our players (England) don't go much beyond their prime function......as another example, John McGinn was doing a bit of everything.

I get all this, but England setup with a back 4 AND 2 more players who are responsible for sitting deep and protecting the back 4. They are by their own admission holding midfielders. It’s OTT for these group games imo. It’s not like a midfield 4 who need to get up and down as required (like Mcginn was doing for example), Rice and Phillips are first and foremost defensive minded. 6 defensive players it’s too much for me. It says I’m worried about the oppositions midfield and attack and need an extra layer of protection. 

Id rather have a normal midfield 4 or 5 with players like Bellingham or Henderson in the middle who’ll go box to box.

Edited by Genie

3 minutes ago, Zatman said:

His ego would throw a tantrum

And these are the situations when you need a manager to have/grow a pair. 

6 minutes ago, Genie said:

I get all this, but England setup with a back 4 AND 2 more players who are responsible for sitting deep and protecting the back 4. They are by their own admission holding midfielders. It’s OTT for these group games imo. It’s not like a midfield 4 who need to get up and down as required (like Mcginn was doing for example), Rice and Phillips are first and foremost defensive minded. 6 defensive players it’s too much for me. It says I’m worried about the oppositions midfield and attack and need an extra layer of protection. 

Id rather have a normal midfield 4 or 5 with players like Bellingham or Henderson in the middle who’ll go box to box.

I get all that.....but against croatia,some fans interpreted Phillips playing advanced ,as an 8...and he gets Motm.

the game does morph, naturally, depending whether we are on the front foot or back foot.....at the end of the day, players themselves have to play well and that means dominating their opposite number, if enough do that, the team,dominates.

decision making in all these things is key too....and that is part of playing well.

I get the negativity. It was a shocking performance but with 4 points from the first two games we're in a good position to qualify. The Scotland game should act as a huge wake-up call. You're not going to win anything by being too passive and playing with fear.  You go back to 66 when we won the world cup we didnt win all our group games and again in the 96 euros we didnt either. 

Gareth is not intrepid enough....he lacks courage to take risks.

that missing the penalty is borne out of indecision, its over thinking, instead of natural gut feeling and belief.

He is cautious by nature and it manifests itself through to his teams.

• Like 1

Just now, TRO said:

Gareth is not intrepid enough....he lacks courage to take risks.

that missing the penalty is borne out of indecision, its over thinking, instead of natural gut feeling and belief.

He is cautious by nature and it manifests itself through to his teams.

Lets hope he changes quickly then. 

Â