Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Do we even need 1 holding midfielder?

I would use holding midfielders if I was a weak team playing against a much better side. 

England should comfortably have enough to beat Scotland/Croatia/Czechia with 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

3 shots on target in 2 games. Compare and contrast with Italy who have far inferior attacking options on paper and have banged in 6 goals. 

Southgate must go. 

Yep,  said during the match all the big nations have started to purr this week in game 2.   Things clicking and goals starting to fly in, teams looking good and cohesive.  We get that shithousery. 

Southgate is a fraud of a manager who got unbelievably lucky in the World Cup. 

We'll qualify and go out in the first knock out game. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, theboyangel said:

utter garbage.

We have a Toothless manager who cannot manage creative players.

we look devoid of creativity and swagger.

With this assembled squad of a players we should be striking fear into the opposition, instead we instil a sad, passive personna and a mere shadow of our combined ability.

Yet again, due to weak guidance England are wasting another generation of good players. 

england cannot go into the next World Cup with Southgate in charge. If we do, we may as well raise the white flag now and give up. Pathetic

Yes, that what I meant, you just said it much better 👍

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Because we are never good enough than what the media and casual fan thinks we are.

1 world cup win and 3 other major semi finals in over 70 years of trying does not scream big hitter to me.

It’s more than that, we walk the qualifiers and then fall short against the same standard (or weaker) in the finals. Over and over.

Its something to do with how we prepare for tournaments. Over thinking and over complicating things that are simple.

You can’t under estimate things like the impact of the bizarre squad choices has on the squad. 4 right backs, not playing a left back, 2 holding midfielders against poor opposition, Kane being allowed go play in midfield, not picking Grealish etc etc. The players must be completely confused about what is going on. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rodders0223 said:

And they would both be sat there watching Southgate's double pivot passing sideways and backwards to each other for 90 mins.

Friends Lol GIF by HBO Max

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Problems all start with Kane for me. He's been a complete passenger for both games. DCL might be limited but he is a focal point in the box and at least will be there for crosses rather than wandering around aimlessly in midfield. Jack, Mount and Foden behind should be able to ping balls onto his head and drag defenders out of position. Best option we have now. 

Why the **** did he even take DCL if he doesn't even trust him when he needs to take Kane off? If he doesn't think he's good enough (which he clearly doesn't) he shouldn't have taken him, should have included Watkins AND Bamford and probably have taken Vardy as a stop gap. 

He had a bigger squad than normal and relied 100% on Kane taking hardly any strikers.  Kane could have broken his leg game 1 or even have been horribly out of form....................... And we have no trusted back up so play Rashford as a striker, and a similarly out of form Rashford at that. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

they are instructed to NOT play to their strengths. 

Probably why Grealish doesn't get much time. Using the ball and taking your man on? That's not the way we do things here, Jack.

• Thanks 2

33 minutes ago, Genie said:

Do we even need 1 holding midfielder?

I would use holding midfielders if I was a weak team playing against a much better side. 

England should comfortably have enough to beat Scotland/Croatia/Czechia with 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 or 4-4-2

So who wins the ball back and stops the opposition runs?

even the best teams in world football have them.....its naive to think otherwise....but when you have one, they have to be effective and make a significant contribution, not passive.

21 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Why the **** did he even take DCL if he doesn't even trust him when he needs to take Kane off? If he doesn't think he's good enough (which he clearly doesn't) he shouldn't have taken him, should have included Watkins AND Bamford and probably have taken Vardy as a stop gap. 

He had a bigger squad than normal and relied 100% on Kane taking hardly any strikers.  Kane could have broken his leg game 1 or even have been horribly out of form....................... And we have no trusted back up so play Rashford as a striker, and a similarly out of form Rashford at that. 

He has gone for reputation before form.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

even the best teams in world football have them.....its naive to think otherwise....but when you have one, they have to be effective and make a significant contribution, not passive.

But not when you have 2 of them that get in each other others way, either on their own is adequate and they should be paired with Bellingham* or Mount. 

* it's annoying to listen to numpty pundits and incompetent coaches like the one we have talk about the younger players inexperience, load of crap, the teams they play for in the leagues they are in is more then enough. If they are good enough to be in this squad, all of them should be good enough to play in most of the games. Mings deputising for Maguire, rubbish, idiots they are 

• Like 3

Just to remind everyone In-ger-land record in the euros since it became a summmer knock touranment

1980- 1st round (8 teams)

1984- did not qualify

1988-1st round

1992-1st round

1996- Semi final (16 teams)

2000- 1st round

2004- Quarter Final

2008- Did not qualify

2012- Quarter final

2016- Second round (24 teams)

In over 40 years we have yet to actually win a knock out match past the group stages as in  96 we beat Spain on penalties.

Generally we do better at the world cup as before the quarters the standard is lower as you play mid ranked american or African teams.

As soon as we play anyone decent we lose. Apart from perhaps Holland in 96 and Croatia in the 2004 group stages I have never actually see England play well at the Euros.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

But not when you have 2 of them that get in each other others way, either on their own is adequate and they should be paired with Bellingham* or Mount. 

* it's annoying to listen to numpty pundits and incompetent coaches like the one we have talk about the younger players inexperience, load of crap, the teams they play for in the leagues they are in is more then enough. If they are good enough to be in this squad, all of them should be good enough to play in most of the games. Mings deputising for Maguire, rubbish, idiots they are 

I agree.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Has the buffoon resigned yet.

If you're genuinely expecting a resignation, or even a sacking, part way through a tournament, you're going to be disappointed. The best we can hope for is a more positive manager in time for the World Cup.

Edited by Davkaus

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spain and Germany don’t. 
Lots of other teams don’t either.

4 minutes ago, Genie said:

Not kidding, I’m in a shop and there’s a woman with this printed on her T-shirt.

Go up to her and yell in her face SHUT UP! SHUT UP! SHUT UP! 

Oh how you will both laugh. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Wurzel said:

We are now getting from the media that England fans are "over reacting" to that display. (Ref. Talksport ). They seem to think that because we scraped through the groups in 1990 and went onto the semi-final of the WC there is no problem. I would counter how come the likes of Italy, Portugal etc, don't have to rely on scraping through groups in football. We were told that you need to know how to deal with tournament football, so they put all their efforts in the kids over the last 10 years and they have won tournaments. These players are not inexperienced at this format. So when are we going to get a national side that actually turns up ready to play?

Portugal won the tournament last time without winning a group game, in fact I don't think they won a game in 90 minutes til the semi final.  Yes they won 3-0 in their first game here but that was a flattering result against a shit team.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Genie said:

Spain and Germany don’t. 
Lots of other teams don’t either.

So you are telling me those teams play, with no provision to win the ball back?...I simply don't accept that.

Turning the ball over.....its a fundamental part of the game.

Edited by TRO

Â