Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

9 minutes ago, VillaAlex said:

I wouldn't have Bellingham sitting he is more of a box to box midfielder.

Push Bellingham up alongside Mount and I think that's the team. Assuming Kane does actual strikery things, otherwise I guess we have to rely on DCL up front (if only England had more strikers available from somewhere that we could have taken)

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Watkins would’ve been a brilliant forward to have had in the squad, all the tireless running and dragging defenders out of position, with jack and Watkins in there would be so much more space for England to attack. 

Absolutely. It is a crime that Watkins isn't in the squad.

5 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

Watkins would’ve been a brilliant forward to have had in the squad, all the tireless running and dragging defenders out of position, with jack and Watkins in there would be so much more space for England to attack. 

And they would both be sat there watching Southgate's double pivot passing sideways and backwards to each other for 90 mins.

Personnel on the pitch ain't the issue as much as we want to wank off our own.

Honestly it’s depressing, to have such a wealth of attacking players, including the ones not in the squad and then to have such a clueless defensive manager in charge, it’s heart breaking seeing another golden generation get wasted. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SuperTed said:

When Reece James passed it to Mings and then Mings passed it to Stones and then passed to Rice and Rice passed to Stones and then passed to James, I won’t lie, that was effing quality 

No no no you got that wrong it didn't back out wide for at least 7 more passes between the double pivot and stones.

• Haha 1

The fact that they have all this attacking talent and this guy has used a back 5 on a number of occasions tells you all you need to know about his mentality and approach to football.

It's very similar to how Bruce manages, gets away with beating the crap teams because the squad is just far superior and despite playing badly can usually win, but the moment they come up against a level team its curtains. 

Whats baffling me was the fact that there's two defensive midfielders and a complete lack of fullback overlapping through the game.

Hope we get to see something like this: 

Phillips -Bellingham 

Foden - Mount - Jack

DCL 

Sancho, Sterling, Rashford off the bench.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Every. Tournament. It’s. The. Same.

How do we do it?

Because we are never good enough than what the media and casual fan thinks we are.

1 world cup win and 3 other major semi finals in over 70 years of trying does not scream big hitter to me.

Problems all start with Kane for me. He's been a complete passenger for both games. DCL might be limited but he is a focal point in the box and at least will be there for crosses rather than wandering around aimlessly in midfield. Jack, Mount and Foden behind should be able to ping balls onto his head and drag defenders out of position. Best option we have now. 

• Like 1

We are now getting from the media that England fans are "over reacting" to that display. (Ref. Talksport ). They seem to think that because we scraped through the groups in 1990 and went onto the semi-final of the WC there is no problem. I would counter how come the likes of Italy, Portugal etc, don't have to rely on scraping through groups in football. We were told that you need to know how to deal with tournament football, so they put all their efforts in the kids over the last 10 years and they have won tournaments. These players are not inexperienced at this format. So when are we going to get a national side that actually turns up ready to play?

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Wurzel said:

Well Southgate pissed up the wall the two warm up games he had by not playing the team he was going to use in the tournament, totally baffling. Maybe if he had have used those games properly it would have been clear that the players he has played like Kane are not fit or upto it.He didn't take Watkins but he did take 4, yes,4 right backs, so he has very limited options if Kane is injured or having a mare. He decided that all that was needed last night was to change the fullbacks, well that went well. Shaw looks two stone overweight, and James was totally forgettable. Keeping Rice and Philips on the pitch against Scotland when you need a goal? Mount was very poor in the first game but he still chose him ahead of Jack, and kept him on when Jack came on, and yet Jack showed more in 25 mins than the rest of them put together in 2 games. Jack has to start in the next game, let him do what he, and only he, can do. All in all Southgate is showing how clueless he really is. Stubborn and lacking tactical knowledge. He needs replacing as soon as the tournament is over with a respected manager wit ha decent track record in the game.

He could  not pick his supposed best XI in the warm up games because half of the side had to rest after the CL final.

If you want to defend Southgate (which most people don't want to) the England side has been secondary to the clubs for over 25 years and our star players time and time again are tired/injured/out of form once the tournaments start in June.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skruff said:

Whats baffling me was the fact that there's two defensive midfielders and a complete lack of fullback overlapping through the game.

Hope we get to see something like this: 

Phillips -Bellingham 

Foden - Mount - Jack

DCL 

Sancho, Sterling, Rashford off the bench.

Only have to look at Shaws creativity stats this season and James' crossing to realise it is under instruction not to do those things.

Â