Euro 2020 : Group D (England, Scotland, Croatia, Czechia)

BOF

Hungary aren't a bad team, they put in a good performance against Portugal the scoreline wasn't really a true representation of how the game went, and they were unbeated in eleven games coming into this tournament as well.

I just finished the England Scotland game - as a neutral fan it was dour - found myself regularly in and out of paying attention.

Prompted a question though. In local sports here, there a general belief that if play a brand that’s good to watch, you will generally be rewarded. I have seen a bit of Belgium and they seem to have a nice mix of defence and flair which is easy on the eye. Is attractive and exciting football generally seen to be a component of a successful team though?

6 minutes ago, KangarooVillan said:

I just finished the England Scotland game - as a neutral fan it was dour - found myself regularly in and out of paying attention.

Prompted a question though. In local sports here, there a general belief that if play a brand that’s good to watch, you will generally be rewarded. I have seen a bit of Belgium and they seem to have a nice mix of defence and flair which is easy on the eye. Is attractive and exciting football generally seen to be a component of a successful team though?

I think in a 7 game tournament you can get far by being defensive and negative but over a league season the attacking teams will nearly always do better. 

• Like 1

Actually Souness on ITV just said it how it is with England whilst Neville still pussy footing around saying we have no ball playing centre backs and that we have no choice but to play  Rice and Phillips. 

I can't stand Souness and he's been (understandably) totally pro Scotland but he's the only one I've seen questioning tactics properly and team selection. 

Also said we weren't much good against Croatia either which most English commentators seem blind to. 

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, sidcow said:

Actually Souness on ITV just said it how it is with England whilst Neville still pussy footing around saying we have no ball playing centre backs and that we have no choice but to play  Rice and Phillips. 

I can't stand Souness and he's been (understandably) totally pro Scotland but he's the only one I've seen questioning tactics properly and team selection. 

Our attackers and midfield are struggling due to lack of movement, part of the lack of movement is seemingly southgates insistence on runs in behind, there's no one to pass to

How does a ball playing CB change that? 

Bring in maguire so he can carry the ball to the half way line have no forward pass available so he goes sideways or backwards... Or mings plays the ball in to Phillips on the half way line who has no forward pass available so he goes sideways or backwards... 

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Our attackers and midfield are struggling due to lack of movement, part of the lack of movement is seemingly southgates insistence on runs in behind, there's no one to pass to

How does a ball playing CB change that? 

Bring in maguire so he can carry the ball to the half way line have no forward pass available so he goes sideways or backwards... Or mings plays the ball in to Phillips on the half way line who has no forward pass available so he goes sideways or backwards... 

I havent been following what Neville has said but I thought John Stones was suppose to be the ball playing CB

• Like 1

We don’t need Rice and Phillips - one of them is enough. This is one of the reasons we’re not getting the ball forward. 

both can regain possession but they only know how to pass backwards, sideways or simply.

Bellingham, Foden (or JWP) would be a better option partnering one of Rice and Phillips.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Also said we weren't much good against Croatia either which most English commentators seem blind to. 

Agree completely - normally not a fan of Souness but I thought he was absolutely spot on in his analysis last night 

Midfield is always a contentious area of debate.....but in my view, balance is the key.

having said that.....we still have to rely on players playing well, in whatever their role is.

when a team is littered with stars, sometimes players rely on others to do it.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

We don’t need Rice and Phillips - one of them is enough. This is one of the reasons we’re not getting the ball forward. 

both can regain possession but they only know how to pass backwards, sideways or simply.

Bellingham, Foden (or JWP) would be a better option partnering one of Rice and Phillips.

Southgate only trusts maguire out of his centre backs.....hence the 2 midfield holders.

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Southgate only trusts maguire out of his centre backs.....hence the 2 midfield holders.

Maguire is arguably the worst of the three though. 

He’s certainly not an error free defender.

Edited by theboyangel
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I actually like souness in general....bit miserly with his praise for Jack, but generally agree with his views of the game.

Kane needs to be dropped for a few games and use him during knockout phase - He must be totally exhausted after, again, pulling of some great numbers at spurs.  Not only that transfer speculation behind him must affecting mental aspect of the game.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, theboyangel said:

Maguire is arguably the worst of the three though. 

He’s certainly not an error free defender.

But i was talking about Southgates opinion.

• Like 1

Â