Match Thread: Villa v Man City

limpid

2 minutes ago, richp999 said:

Yeah don't mind which, but I think thier defence looks a bit shaky.. Davis would be perfect for this

Agree but KD for Traore I reckon. 

• Like 1

You want to see us really going for it after the break, being a man up and a goal down, but this will be easier said than done. They will still keep the ball well, and punish us hard if we leave too much space open (see their first goal, which was almost impossible to stop.) We’ll have to sacrifice something, and hope it pays off, but we can’t be reckless about it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

I think it’s because City are playing phenomenal football when they have the ball and the ball is sticking like glue to Foden’s foot.  They have played some incredible football that not many could live with and we are a mid table team just trying to keep up.  One of the best club teams in the world playing some great stuff, it’s hard to stop.  

Thankfully they look a little crazy without the ball so we have to try and take advantage of that but that will be hard because it isn’t often they are without the ball

Don't disagree but I'm still disappointed with it, we look like we've accepted city are brilliant so we will give them the ball in areas where we think they can't hurt us, we will play narrow and compact 

We aren't good enough for that

Traores tracking, mcginn and Luiz energy and positioning, it just doesn't work, they're breezing past us

In order to play like how we've set up you've got to be on to everything, rushing to close down etc tracking every run from deep and that's just not us, its not these players 

Just now, Genie said:

Pep even did the kick as part of his argument, what was he saying “all John did was this on the side of his knee after the ball had gone, it’s a disgrace”

I think Pep believes that Ramsey fouled Stones. I think he's saying Ramsey came in with his leg up.

Wazzock.

• Shocked 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Don't know what we are trying to do when they have possession, almost like we're sacrificing space in order to compact the zone, problem is we're not very good at it and they're too good for it to bother them, they're simply passing it around us, there's always an easy pass on for them, we're chasing shadows not even trying to play football, really disappointing 

Foden once again given the freedom on the pitch vs us he must love it

Our defensive set up is shit, too narrow, too safe, bend don't break and it simply doesn't work because we don't have the energy or discipline 

Yes, we have been allowing them to pass but not denying them space in the box.  We were just not really doing anything. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Disagree with that, mings does jump for the ball he's just nowhere near rodri, no way can emi see that, he's come for the cross based on the flight of the ball not on rodri and Mings 

He jumps from 10 yards away.  He could see Rodri was unmarked a good 15 seconds earlier and left him unmarked.

Martinez can see Rodri on him own so rather than leave him unchallenged him moves to challenge him, which 8s what Mings should have done sooner.

Our defensive setup is dire though, we never have tall players marking tall players.  Beggars belief