Breakaway League

Jareth

Boris already talking about changing the law to disallow this. I'm convinced the government won't allow this to happen as it would threaten the Premier leagues position and therefore the governments huge tax income they get from it. 

14 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

The nerve of it.

Well, Aston Villa have 1 Super League Championships then, still one more than Spurs, Arsenal and Man City.

I think this is done so that contracts including UCL bonuses doesn't need to be renegotiated.

8 minutes ago, sne said:

Perhaps. The salary cap is supposed to be at 55% of revenue so if the revenue goes up with as much as being mentioned there will be plenty of money to sprinkle over the star players.

Maybe, but the whole ethos of the league, the whole reason it exists is to take some of the money off the other teams, take some of the money off the TV companies, take some of the money off the players, take some of the money off agents and give it all to the richest owners. In their minds, they ARE football, the money that comes in is generated because of the power of the brands at United, Real, Barca etc and therefore all of the money should go to them - that's the whole point. They'll restrict salaries.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Silent_Bob said:

I think this is done so that contracts including UCL bonuses doesn't need to be renegotiated.

I wonder how it will affect players around Europe who has CL club spesific transfer release clauses. Grealish for instance could have a £ 120 million release clause for a CL club. But if an ESL club comes knocking, that's legally something else?

23 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Man City have always been one of the elite, this is a classic moment from City past

It's interesting that this is titled "the worst 20 seconds of football". Surely this is some of the best 20 seconds of football. More a Var related point, but I dont always want to see everything going right all the time. 

Isn't this just the MLS Mark II? Closed shop, franchises...

Threw money at aging superstars looking for a final payday. Didn't take off, never became a big league.

JP Morgan may finance the first couple of years, but eventually the money dries up. If you don't get mainstream media support they kill it. Online only sports won't succeed without interest from mainstream media and sponsors need a wide audience. I think the vitroil towards it will heavily impact viewing figures - you could even see community clubs taking their place and gaining more supporters. Get Sky, Amazon, BT and the European media outlets to agree not to stream or pay anything other than passing interest to it and it dies. An independent media outlet won't succeed and will inevitably try to rinse every penny from already disillusioned fans. Then 8 or 9 of those teams quickly realise they are now also rans in the new league and subscriptions fall further.

This can be stopped abruptly if the media companies come together, the football authorities stand strong and penalise/exclude these teams and if players unite in saying they have no interest in constantly travelling and being away from their families for months on end with no chance of glory and no international careers.

One thing remains the same, it will be the fans who have the least say and the most to lose, for all clubs in and out the Super League.

47 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I still can't believe Agnelli's initial PR statement in regards to this league, involved use of the word solidarity.

It's like watching my mate using words he doesn't know the meaning of, just cause he thinks it sounds advanced.

Reminds me of something else i read recently when Billionaire's were in a behind closed doors meeting discussing a disgraceful "cull" of the population due to the World being overpopulated. So they were discussing ways to reduce the global population (Shortly before the Covid outbreak hit) and they called their group of merry Billionaires "The Good Club".

It appears they find it amusing to reverse what crime they are actually doing/planning and using it as a promotional tool instead. 

So destroying the Solidarity of World football becomes "We think it will improve solidarity". Turning the biggest fear into a soundbite for the opposite.

Scum basically. Probably bored after their mate Mr Epstein left. It is apparent these people live in their own balloon ego bubble surrounded by "yes" men and are just so used of doing whatever they want whenever they want it and if they can't get it they destroy the opposition and start it themselves without even a seconds remorse for the lives they have wrecked along the way. 

A US Billionaire also asset stripped a company i worked with recently. They even came over & spoke to over 2000 of us in person telling us a drivel story of how tough their journey had been and how they were so caring and even on a spiritual level... The following year they destroyed a 100 year old household name company by asset stripping it through the back door and leaving 1000's out of work & destitute. They are a disgrace to humanity these people.

The callousness of it all is actually scary. 

Our owners, although i have no doubt being ruthless when necessary, appear to be a class above thankfully.

Edited by danceoftheshamen
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I wonder if we are staying silent whilst Wes Edens is on the phone to some of his US chums to see if we can get in on the act :lol:

That’s one advantage we’ve got with the Sawiris/Edens partnership, they’ve both got to agree on things. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Maybe, but the whole ethos of the league, the whole reason it exists is to take some of the money off the other teams, take some of the money off the TV companies, take some of the money off the players, take some of the money off agents and give it all to the richest owners. In their minds, they ARE football, the money that comes in is generated because of the power of the brands at United, Real, Barca etc and therefore all of the monet should go to them - that's the whole point. They'll restrict salaries.

Yup, but even when they do I suspect the big star would earn much more than they do now.

Say Chelsea drop back down from 70% to 55% like they had 2-3 seasons ago but increase their revenue by the figures mentioned they would still be able to pay bigger wages than they do now and still make bank.

Man U and Man C were on about 55-59% . Liverpool were on 58% and Spurs on 39% 

Figures might be out of date but it's ballpark.  The owners would still be able to start paying off their debts, take out new loans or buy an even bigger cheese room.

From January 1, 2021, new rules come into place regarding the transfer of overseas players to the English Premier League and the English Football League (EFL).

These will replace existing work permit recommendation processes, as English clubs will not be able to sign players from the European Union (EU) in the same way they were able to before Brexit.

Clubs will now need to apply for a governing body endorsement for a work permit for pretty much any overseas player who doesn’t hold a British passport, so the requirements and processes have been changed

World Football Index

The FA should change the rules here. Work Permit approval will only be granted for clubs inside the FA / UEFA / FIFA umbrella.

6 English clubs sunk without a trace

• Like 1

Â