Pre match thread

Demitri_C

They bossed the same game last season but they were full of confidence and we didn’t have Martinez, Cash, Targett and Watkins in the team. 

So we are heading there a lot stronger defensively but attacking wise we’re probably more or less the same with Grealish being out. 

I can’t see us getting anything from this. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, barry'sboots said:

Seeing sites anticipating the same starting 4-3-3 as the Fulham game.  I will be so disappointed if this is the case!!! 🤞

It will just be Trez in for AEG I think although wouldn't surprise me if we bring Ramsey in for this. Think Sanson will struggle a bit v this type of midfield and he did get a bit of a knock in last week's game so might not be 100%.

3-1 Liverpool.

3 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

They bossed the same game last season but they were full of confidence and we didn’t have Martinez, Cash, Targett and Watkins in the team. 

So we are heading there a lot stronger defensively but attacking wise we’re probably more or less the same with Grealish being out. 

I can’t see us getting anything from this. 

From what I remember it was quite even for 70 minutes and we had some decent chances on counter attack that El Ghazi messed up. Liverpool had already won the league so were in beach mode as a few of their results either side of the game showed.

I actually think we match up o.k to Liverpool compared to other teams but ultimately they've just won 3-0 at Arsenal so are right back in top 4 mix with all their forwards fit (Mane didn't play in the 7-2 remember) so very tough for us to get anything as no Jack is simply too much to get through in these type of games.

57 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

From what I remember it was quite even for 70 minutes and we had some decent chances on counter attack that El Ghazi messed up. Liverpool had already won the league so were in beach mode as a few of their results either side of the game showed.

I actually think we match up o.k to Liverpool compared to other teams but ultimately they've just won 3-0 at Arsenal so are right back in top 4 mix with all their forwards fit (Mane didn't play in the 7-2 remember) so very tough for us to get anything as no Jack is simply too much to get through in these type of games.

We had chances but it felt like they were always in control.  I’m looking at that centre half pairing and thinking they can be really attacked. We just need to keep it solid at the other end and we will get chances on the break.  Longer the game goes on without them scoring I could see them getting frustrated and leaving the centre halves very isolated. Which is how they play for the most part really. 

We need everyone to be giving a 7 to have any chance.....we can't afford any passengers.

midfield needs to step up from 6's

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, John said:

An away win would give us our first league double against our hosts since season 1952/53. For that reason alone, we should give this game everything, because chances like this have not come about too often over the years! 

I'm sure we did the double over them in 92/93. Wasn't it 2-1 to us at Anfield and 4-2 at VP?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Delphinho123 said:

----------------------------Martinez---------------------------

Cash-----------Konsa----------Mings----------Targett
---------------------------Nakamba----------------------------
------------------Ramsey--------McGinn--------------------
Trezeguet-------------------------------------------Watkins
------------------------------Davis---------------------------------

Play balls into the channels and over the top. We can beat them with hard work and exposing their weaknesses at the back. 

That's what I'd go for.

Minimal chance of two starting up top IMO.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, John said:

We travel to the soon to be former league champions tomorrow afternoon. Liverpool have lost their last six home league games and were slaughtered 7-2 at Villa Park earlier this season. An away win would give us our first league double against our hosts since season 1952/53. For that reason alone, we should give this game everything, because chances like this have not come about too often over the years! 

Liverpool will have revenge on their minds, but will also have the coming second leg against Real Madrid as a competing priority. Should they go out of the Champions League next week, they would then need to rely on a late run for a top four spot, to qualify for the CL next season. A win could well take them into fourth place tomorrow afternoon, so they will have something other than revenge to play for tomorrow. On the other hand a win for us would give us that double at long last and would bring us within two points of them, with a game in hand. It could also lift us into eighth place and would keep us above both Arsenal and Leeds, who are currently two points behind us. 

Overall, we have won 56 and have drawn 40, of the 185 league games that have been played between the two clubs. We have done the league double against them twice since WW2 (in 1951/52 & 1952/53) let's make this our third. Just win it for us Villa! :flag:     

Fingers cross we can get a postive result.

Pedant alert - we also did the double against them in the 92/93 season but well overdue another one!

• Thanks 1