Pre match thread

Demitri_C

I would go for the obvious back 5 and then:

-------------------------- Nakamba ----------------------------

------------ McGinn ------------------- Ramsey -----------

------------------- Jack (BT if no Jack) ------------------

------------- Davis --------------------------- Ollie ------------

Diamond with Ollie playing off KD.

I'm absolutely dreading the strong desire for revenge that Klopp and the Liverpool players are bound to have. I have a horrible feeling they'll be very fired up. And they just beat Arsenal 3-0 too. I'm really dreading this game. : <

• Like 1

Desire for revenge, sure. We will have the desire to do the double over the champions too. Goes both ways.

I think that if we score first it could really get to their heads.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

They already got revenge by knocking us out the cup

That's a good point. I think they'll want more though! Hope I'm wrong. They failed to give us "a damn good thrashing" that day, it was only a mini thrashing in the end and it was only against the kids too.

john cleese best moment ever GIFbbc comedy GIF

Edited by robby b
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, robby b said:

I'm absolutely dreading the strong desire for revenge that Klopp and the Liverpool players are bound to have. I have a horrible feeling they'll be very fired up. And they just beat Arsenal 3-0 too. I'm really dreading this game. : <

there desire may leave them wide open again. IF we play the same tactics IF

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Can want revenge all they want but they simply aren't the same prospect without Van Dijk.

Our players should go out there feeling confident.

I think having Fabinho back in CM is huge for them.

We have to do something to disrupt their flow, which is why I would go with a diamond.  It worked for Leicester when they turned the game around against Liverpool a couple of months back and having Watkins and KD against their inexperienced CB pairing should give us a real edge.  Whoever plays at 10 for us then should do the same job as Weimann did in that famous 3-1 and make sure that they cannot control the game from the base of midfield. 

I think we need to go with a game plan and I am hoping DS thinks similar.

Edited by barry'sboots

Although their form and results have picked up considerably the fact that this games is sandwiched between the Real Madrid matches could work in our favour - Let's hope so 🙏.

Hopefully a much better performance than Sunday or we don't stand a chance.

I'd go (presuming Jack is out)

Martinez

Cash             Konsa                Mings               Targett

Nakamba

Watkins          Ramsey       McGinn             Trezeguet

Davis

I think Trez and Davis have both earned a place in the starting line up and I feel that this is the best way of accommodating both - Giving license to Ollie and Trez to support Davis when they can, but when we are out of possession the task of stopping their full backs bombing on.

I'd freshen the CM area too. 

The other option (for me) is a 4-4-2 diamond, with Luiz in for Trez - Put him next to McGinn with Ramsey (or Traore) further forward. I'm just not sure Liverpool away is the fixture to try this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Although their form and results have picked up considerably the fact that this games is sandwiched between the Real Madrid matches could work in our favour - Let's hope so 🙏.

Martinez

Nakamba

Davis

I think Trez and Davis have both earned a place in the starting line up and I feel that this is the best way of accommodating both - Giving license to Ollie and Trez to support Davis when they can, but when we are out of possession the task of stopping their full backs bombing on.

The other option (for me) is a 4-4-2 diamond, with Luiz in for Trez - Put him next to McGinn with Ramsey (or Traore) further forward. I'm just not sure Liverpool away is the fixture to try this.

My team too. Provided Jack isn't fit. Which he won't be and never has been (during this facade)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WakefieldVillan said:

Martinez

Nakamba

Davis

Its unbelievable you are the first one to select Trezeguet. If he doesnt start after that performance it would be rediculous. Anyway they will need him to double up on their star man. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Robtaylor200 said:

or possibly 

image.png.5aabaee99d1b25b0bcc77aff965070fd.png

One day mate, one day...

We haven’t won 4-1 since Wolves, March 2018, I was at the game so remember it well. And before that? March 2014 against Norwich. So I guess you could say we’re due one sooner or later!

2 hours ago, WakefieldVillan said:

... the fact that this games is sandwiched between the Real Madrid matches could work in our favour - Let's hope so 🙏.

Whenever logic dictates something or other should work in our favour, I fear the worst.

• Like 1