Pre match thread

Demitri_C

If it’s a confidence thing with Barkley, I’d be tempted to play him against his finishing rival / the team he previously tore apart.

If he’s just lazy arrogant and useless then I wouldn’t bother. 

11 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im going for 7-2 villa

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It might be 8 or 9 this time.

It really should have been 10 or more last time, we wasted some gilt edged chances in that game. Let’s not be greedy though, a routine 0-3 will suffice. 

21 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Can want revenge all they want but they simply aren't the same prospect without Van Dijk.

Our players should go out there feeling confident.

We put 7 past them WITH Van Dijk.

It's football, it happens. I'm not saying we will do it again or even come close, just that these sort of comments are ridiculous. Any team that loses all 3 of its main defenders would struggle, with no exception. 

My opinion, you are just setting us up for the fall so you can take digs if we lose on Saturday.

I fully expect us to lose, they are still Liverpool. Still world class internationals all over the pitch. 

Anything from this game is a bonus.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

One day mate, one day...

We haven’t won 4-1 since Wolves, March 2018, I was at the game so remember it well. And before that? March 2014 against Norwich. So I guess you could say we’re due one sooner or later!

Going back there was also Wigan and Newcastle when Carew scored right at the end The wolves one was 80/1. and Norwich 83/1

I have this feeling that if I dont put the bet on it will happen. My lad says    So dont put the ******* bet on then Dad 

Edited by Robtaylor200
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Mjvilla said:

We put 7 past them WITH Van Dijk.

It's football, it happens. I'm not saying we will do it again or even come close, just that these sort of comments are ridiculous. Any team that loses all 3 of its main defenders would struggle, with no exception. 

My opinion, you are just setting us up for the fall so you can take digs if we lose on Saturday.

I fully expect us to lose, they are still Liverpool. Still world class internationals all over the pitch. 

Anything from this game is a bonus.

That's the spirit

I have no idea how we’ll line up or which is the best line up.

I’d be up to starting Kienan Davis but going 2 up top against them is suicide. We need Traore if Grealish is still injured as well and then it’s a question of the midfield three.

I’d love to see Watkins as an inside forward on the left with Kienan up top and then Traore on the right if Grealish is injured. Thinking more about maybe we need Trez on the right given the threat of their fullbacks?

Think Dean has a good dilemma on his hands!

On 05/04/2021 at 11:37, rjw63 said:

Teams (and for that matter individual players, managers, coaches etc etc) on a bad run always have our fixture ticked off on the list, we are amazingly good at breaking other sides poor runs.

Another one for instance yesterday- Mitrovic, no goals in 21 top flight games, oh don't worry here come Aston Villa :)

Its a valid and an interesting point, you make.

well worth a debate.

I think its several factors, our squad is not balanced sufficiently to play any other way than we do, I think the midfield lacks power and presence,not to mention ball control, I think the wingers (3) are too hit and miss, I think our modest consistency encourages a bit of self doubt, I think we have weaknesses our opponents are now well aware of.....However in securing 44 points we must have some things we do well.....I think the defence is our saving grace at present and the Goal keeper alone has saved us umpteen points, Jack when he is in and on form, puts the fear of god in to opponents and I think Ollie is a huge distraction for opponents with his running and foraging.

We are still some way, from a balanced squad for me.....see what the summer brings.

Edited by TRO

Referee: Paul Tierney.
Assistants: Simon Bennett, Constantine Hatzidakis.
Fourth official: Chris Kavanagh.
VAR: Andy Madley.
Assistant VAR: Adrian Holmes.

This is Tierney's 4th time in charge of a Villa game this season and he has yet to preside over a Villa victory. Three of Villa's most miserable outings of the season actually. The 3-0 hiding off Leeds. The infuriating and bewildering 3-2 defeat to Burnley and the recent 1-1 draw at St. James' Park.

I'm not confident this will be his first, despite our recent successes against them. I'm not saying we won't win. I'm just saying I can't really be confident against Liverpool. Especially as they seem to have turned a corner recently.

We need to pepper them with balls over the top and into the channels. It's exactly what Madrid did and what we did to them earlier in the season. Their centre backs are litter and we can get at these. I'd play McGinn as the 10 behind Davis and play Watkins and Trezeguet either side. 
I don't think this is the game to play out from the back due to their high press. Lots of lofted balls and long diagonal switches. 

Could be wrong!

Edited by Delphinho123
  • Like 3

On 05/04/2021 at 11:37, rjw63 said:

Teams (and for that matter individual players, managers, coaches etc etc) on a bad run always have our fixture ticked off on the list, we are amazingly good at breaking other sides poor runs.

Another one for instance yesterday- Mitrovic, no goals in 21 top flight games, oh don't worry here come Aston Villa :)

I would honestly like to see a whole thread dedicated to this very real, and very upsetting phenomenon, which goes back decades. Here's another, to add to that long, long, (Shane) Long list:

Remember Frank Lampard struggling to break the Chelsea scoring record? I think he went more games without scoring than in his entire career! And then........

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I would honestly like to see a whole thread dedicated to this very real, and very upsetting phenomenon, which goes back decades. Here's another, to add to that long, long, (Shane) Long list:

Remember Frank Lampard struggling to break the Chelsea scoring record? I think he went more games without scoring than in his entire career! And then........

It just feels like it because lots and lots of players go long periods without scoring, and then when they finally do its announced as a stat, and makes us feel bad for conceding.

Take Mitrovic for fulham as the example, would they not also say the same for Trezeguet. Best part of a year without scoring and they let him score two in space of a few minutes. You can probably do it in most matches to varying extents.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, turvontour said:

It just feels like it because lots and lots of players go long periods without scoring, and then when they finally do its announced as a stat, and makes us feel bad for conceding.

Take Mitrovic for fulham as the example, would they not also say the same for Trezeguet. Best part of a year without scoring and they let him score two in space of a few minutes. You can probably do it in most matches to varying extents.

I honestly appreciate this logic, but I think there is a genuine rationale to this complaint about the Villa. Let's take Shane Long as an example. Simply not a very good striker, I think we can all agree, until Villa come along. He has scored more goals AND has more assists against us than any other club he has faced in his career. 9 goals, 6 assists in 17 appearances. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/shane-long/bilanzdetails/spieler/37304/gegner/405

I won't bother this thread anymore about the subject, but I think I would like to flesh this out further. I even have the thread title: The Shane Long Paradox.

This is why I commented earlier in this thread about logic always seeming to be against Villa, as a tired Liverpool come Saturday, with one eye on Wednesday.... You can almost hear the MOTD pundits talk about how this didn't play any part, surprisingly(!), as they might have thought.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, AvonVillain said:

I honestly appreciate this logic, but I think there is a genuine rationale to this complaint about the Villa. Let's take Shane Long as an example. Simply not a very good striker, I think we can all agree, until Villa come along. He has scored more goals AND has more assists against us than any other club he has faced in his career. 9 goals, 6 assists in 17 appearances. https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/shane-long/bilanzdetails/spieler/37304/gegner/405

I won't bother this thread anymore about the subject, but I think I would like to flesh this out further. I even have the thread title: The Shane Long Paradox.

This is why I commented earlier in this thread about logic always seeming to be against Villa, as a tired Liverpool come Saturday, with one eye on Wednesday.... You can almost hear the MOTD pundits talk about how this didn't play any part, surprisingly(!), as they might have thought.

Make the thread

1 hour ago, AvonVillain said:

We really need a game against ourselves at the minute to get us back on track!! 😉

• Haha 2

I've just watched the highlights from their game last night against Real - their defence was all over the place.  It also didn't look like the full backs were getting too far forward - although it was highlights - as they are worried about their CBs.

Sandwiched in between the two Madrid games and with their recent shocking home form we really have to take the momentum early on.  I would definitely play KD and Ollie up top as a pair, with complete freedom to move around as they see fit.  Let's pull their CBs all over the place and get KD/Ollie up against TAA as well!!  I would love to see Jack at the tip of a diamond behind them, or Traore or even Trez if Jack is still not fit.