Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/21 at 23:59

4 minutes ago, pintpotvilla said:

No chance, it was past him before he had a chance to get a hand up to it. A foot lower and it was in

Nah ... 15 cm lower and it was in off the bar.

2 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

It's funny how people can see the match very differently.

It is but I've just watched it again. Mate he wasn't saving that!! Anyway a point gained and a clean sheet and 4 pts of them this season so all good 

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

I think we're looking at it so much from our side that we're neglecting what the opposition did.

Wolves have an uncanny ability to come out much better in the second half than the first half. Its why they won so many games from losing positions. I don't know what's the exact reason for this phenomena but viewed from this lens, we didn't really get worse in the second half. Its just wolves got a lot better.

Yes a bit of both. They stepped up and we failed to keep up the same intensity we had in the first half. 

9 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes a bit of both. They stepped up and we failed to keep up the same intensity we had in the first half. 

Ithink Sansons injury had a lot to do with it. Wolves tightened up and denied us space after half time but our midfield, which had been very good

in the first period , disappeared after that and we lost control. So you're right it was a bit of both

First half great, bang up for it. Bit of luck and some better decisions and we go in 2-0 up. Watkins passing to Traore was quite something.

Second half is quite simple for me. We were tired. Zip wasn't there.

We've got a really high press led by Watkins and (when we've got the legs for it) we've got a high defensive line. You have to back-up Watkins or he gets bypassed and you better get up quick because big Tyrone is leading everyone up the pitch behind you. It's very draining. Good luck whoever has to fill in for Watkins, ever. We'll look half a side without him or without a drastic change in how high up the pitch we try to play.

Wolves have no press at all. They sit in and wait. Then when they get the ball they've got an wonderful player like Moutinho who will happily knock the ball around you in 10 yards of space all day. It's why they could play 500 games last year with about 15 players.

It's not easy anyway, but I do wonder if covid has hurt our ability to play that first half game. Look at our running in the games prior...Baggies, Palace, Chelsea, Man Utd, we were right at it. 

5 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Second  half must be the worst football I’ve seen since the McLeish era.

Couple of comments like this knocking around. I must disagree heartily.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Brumstopdogs said:

As soon as Jack is back on the grass? Somebody call just eat and get in touch with Snoop dog.... 

• Haha 3

One of those whee earlier in the season we’ve taken an early chance and gone on to win, can’t happen every time I guess. The difference in impetus between halves was a bit baffling but maybe give some credit to Nuno for getting in to them at half time as well as criticising us for dropping off. 

In the end, we feel lucky to have got a point because they’ve missed two excellent chances. Konsa really should’ve buried that chance at the end though, almost like he couldn’t believe how good his first touch had been to bring it down. 

Had we beaten Sheff Utd this feels like a better point than it does now I think. Commentator said Wolves are unbeaten in a few (6?) so not the end of the world. 40 points is a pretty big milestone to reach at this stage of the season given the last 10 years.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I’ve been at this since 1961, i.e 60 years! Apart from 1976-1983, GT Mk 1, and some good seasons in the 1990s under Big Ron and Brian Little, it’s all been fairly miserable stuff. 

But, hey, I’m a Villa fan! I can’t give up just because I’m miserable.

No reason to be miserable Briny. As Villa supporters we have drawn one of the winning tickets in life😀

There is usually a purple patch about every 10 years, let’s hope we are entering another! ( you missed out some fantastic away days in the 3rd Division, happy days)

Onwards!!

• Like 4

15 hours ago, briny_ear said:

I’ve been at this since 1961, i.e 60 years! Apart from 1976-1983, GT Mk 1, and some good seasons in the 1990s under Big Ron and Brian Little, it’s all been fairly miserable stuff. 

But, hey, I’m a Villa fan! I can’t give up just because I’m miserable.

The early & mid 70's were not bad either, but you make a good point. ;)

• Like 1

6 hours ago, calcifer said:

As soon as Jack is back on the grass? Somebody call just eat and get in touch with Snoop dog.... 

What does that mean (not the snoop dog part, but the Jack part)? Does he have covid or something else? I don't get it.

5 hours ago, rjw63 said:

Just saw highlights...watkins really is cursed ain't he?

And how did Saiss miss from 6 inches out?

I remember being at a midweek game in the 88-89 season and Andy Gray missing from similar position in front of the Holte End.

1 hour ago, stewiek2 said:

I remember being at a midweek game in the 88-89 season and Andy Gray missing from similar position in front of the Holte End.

You old bastard ;)

• Haha 1

Â