Ratings & Reactions: Villa v Wolves

limpid

Match Polls  

199 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your Man of the Match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/21 at 23:59

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I don't really know what he does....so passive.

I too thought Ramsey looked lively, when he came on....I think he will be a good kid, if he carries on progressing.

Luiz is dreaming about returning to City, they wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Ramsey is deffo one for the future, he looks so composed

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Talldarkandransome said:

Luiz is dreaming about returning to City, they wouldn't touch him with a barge pole. Ramsey is deffo one for the future, he looks so composed

No he isn't and they have never said they are interested in re-signing him.

He has been largely excellent this season and as usual once a player has a few bad games he is a rubbish player again.

Massively progressed as a player since the first covid lockdown in March last year.

• Like 4

A decent first half where we could rightly feel a little unfortunate/aggrieved (choose your agenda to suit) not to be leading at half time. Felt like a different team came out in the second half and the tail off smacked of tiredness. In the end, on the balance of glaring chances, we might feel fortunate/aggrieved (choose your agenda to suit) to actually get a draw. Could have been 3-3 in my opinion, but I am me, and only I am I. 

I gave Watkins MOTM, really like the guy and his work rate. His results will come. Honourable mention for Martinez, delivering a performance most weeks now. 

Not sure what the issue is with us just now. We've been stumbling through games since before Jack got injured. 

We now have a chance to put Newcastle in serious trouble. That would be fun and mischievous, wouldn't it?? 

Fool of the day - Jack, and that coat. WTF are you doing man??? 🤣

16 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

He has been largely excellent this season and as usual once a player has a few bad games he is a rubbish player again.

Massively progressed as a player since the first covid lockdown in March last year.

Can you expand on that?....

I thought after lockdown last season, we come back and he was one of our best players, up to the seasons end.

This season, he has not met that same standard IMV.

I am genuinely interested in your view......but tell me what you see him do, that prompts you to say that?.....what affects on the game do you see,from him, that I struggle with?

srsmithusa, might help, he voted him MOTM.

Edited by TRO

17 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Worldie after lockdown last season but - to my eyes - generally poor, off the pace, sluggish and just lacking all round throughout this season. Not sure what the issue is but I suspect its all in his head ..... something is not right and I would definitely put Ramsey and Nakamba ahead of him at the moment.

On 08/03/2021 at 16:08, TRO said:

Can you expand on that?....

I thought after lockdown last season, we come back and he was one of our best players, up to the seasons end.

This season, he has not met that same standard IMV.

I am genuinely interested in your view......but tell me what you see him do, that prompts you to say that?.....what affects on the game do you see,from him, that I struggle with?

srsmithusa, might help, he voted him MOTM.

Whilst not directed at me TRO I’ll answer. I think when he is on his game like the first half against Wolves he provides good defensive cover, reads the game well positionally and most importantly he is always available as an outlet to receive the ball in tight positions to keep It ticking over. Also has a good range of passing both long and short. 

However at times like the second half he can tend to drift out of games. For whatever reason not be involved enough.  The game seems to pass him by too much and it’s not really something the team can afford for such a crucial role. 

I know you don’t agree he has those traits I have mentioned but I think we saw them last season and for the first few months of this season. For some reason he hasn’t been himself since resuming after covid. But then neither have most of the team. 

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Whilst not directed at me TRO I’ll answer. I think when he is on his game like the first half against Wolves he provides good defensive cover, reads the game well positionally and most importantly he is always available as an outlet to receive the ball in tight positions to keep It ticking over. Also has a good range of passing both long and short. 

However at times like the second half he can tend to drift out of games. For whatever reason not be involved enough.  The game seems to pass him by too much and it’s not really something the team can afford for such a crucial role. 

I know you don’t agree he has those traits I have mentioned but I think we saw them last season and for the first few months of this season. For some reason he hasn’t been himself since resuming after covid. But then neither have most of the team. 

Agree with most of that....I do see, that at times he shows a bit of class, but he is playing as a CDM, watch Rice and Soucek in that role.....they go after you and disrupt the play.

Now,I do understand that highlighted bit and the merits of it....but it also smacks of inactivity and passive play, standing off, call it what you will.....Its alright being always available, but you have to do something in the game too, that makes you unavailable like challenge for the ball and win possession back.

as an analogy......Its like a salesmen who always answers his phone reactively, why....because he don't make calls proactively, so he is always available.....I don't kinda buy that argument of always available being necessarily good, he has to show more than that. I understand the theory, but in practice, it can be a cop out.

I want to see midfielders busy and going after the opposition, rattling them off the ball, turning it over and starting attacks.

I have seen Dougie do better, after lockdown last season, he was better than he is now, IMO....I am not writing him off, But I think he is lightweight, to play the role, he is.

38 minutes ago, TRO said:

watch Rice and Soucek in that role.....they go after you and disrupt the play.

They are not just ball winners though. They really can play too.

Remind me of the midfielders back in the day who had a bit of everything.

21 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

I am not asking a Ball winner to be limited.....of course they do other things, a good teams players always do other things.

There are so many to be reminded of..... my main point is the similarity of midfielder is unhelpful at times IMO.

If I said David Platt, you would know immediately what his forte was......If I said Steve McMahon, you would know immediately what his forte was.....and it wasn't the same, even though they was both midfielders.

sure there were players like Sid cowans, Alex Cropley who could win the ball and Scheme....We had Townsend, Richardson, who could challenge and boss their way around the park.....We had Houghton who had energy and could play, Parker another technician.

We need midfielders who can compliment each other, some fans may think we have, I just think we struggle a bit with that.

On 07/03/2021 at 23:40, The Fun Factory said:

For me he has been asked to do a different role in recent games, than what he was doing earlier in the season.

He is ditting much deeper and making far less progressive passes, and far less forward runs.

It doesn't suit his game at all. He needs to be a box to box player, not a dm, sa his range of passing is excellent.

On 10/03/2021 at 16:01, villalad21 said:

I'd argue Luiz is a better footballer than both.  His pasding for sure is much better.

What he lacks is their strength, guile and tenacity, which is why he should not be played as a cdm.  Maybe a deep playmaker?

I have said before, when we have possession Luiz works in the deeper role.  When we have little possession, we are better off with Nakamba.

Thats why i find it so frustrating that Nakamba started at SU and Luiz at Wolves.  Should have been the other way around if you want to make the most of each players best qualities.  And its decisions like this that convince me that DS can't take us further than he has.

7 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

I'd argue Luiz is a better footballer than both.  His pasding for sure is much better.

What he lacks is their strength, guile and tenacity, which is why he should not be played as a cdm.  Maybe a deep playmaker?

I have said before, when we have possession Luiz works in the deeper role.  When we have little possession, we are better off with Nakamba.

Thats why i find it so frustrating that Nakamba started at SU and Luiz at Wolves.  Should have been the other way around if you want to make the most of each players best qualities.  And its decisions like this that convince me that DS can't take us further than he has.

We aren't Barcelona. We don't need a playmaker at dm. 

We need a ballwinner and someone who will protect the back four more, and Nakamba is the best we've got at it. 

Don't disagree with playing Luiz higher up though. They can play in the same team. Can even see Luiz playing as a 10 

On 07/03/2021 at 23:40, The Fun Factory said:

I have never said he is a rubbish player, totally agree he has improved with Villa but that won't stop him thinking about being with City. Not concentrating 100% on your current role will affect your performance. Every player in entitled to a bad run and that doesn't change my overall opinion of him

Â