Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

This guy is a great follow on Twitter for those interested in the tactical side of things. Good long-ish thread here on some stuff from the game today, he tends to cover Villa quite a bit.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm pretty convinced now that 4-2-3-1 would fit our players best.

Luiz, Kamara, Nakamba and Iroegbunam competing for the 2 - new DM to come in and replace Nakamba at some point in the near future

Watkins, Bailey, Coutinho, Buendia, McGinn and Ramsey competing for the 3 - lot of players in that six are inconsistent but electric, this way only the three in form are on the pitch

Ings and Archer competing for the 1 - Watkins can obviously come into this argument as well, but Ings needs a proper run and plays a lot better with Emi threading the balls through. Archer can apply some serious pressure if he's sticking around.

I feel 4-3-3 and 4-4-2 are not utilizing the players we have right now and is almost cutting off our nose to spite our face.

Gerrard won't do any of the above.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Indigo said:

This guy is a great follow on Twitter for those interested in the tactical side of things. Good long-ish thread here on some stuff from the game today, he tends to cover Villa quite a bit.

Pretty refreshing to read a non biased review and the reasonings behind our tactics. 
Makes you understand why decisions are made.

• Like 1

The last time Gerrard started buendia with both Ings and Watkins was the Burnley away game towards end of last season where we looked good. Buendia manages to find Ings a lot more than Coutinho does and is a great target for kamara to find and build the play. I think just starting buendia in the system from yesterday would see some instant improvements. Also Luiz or a new quality midfielder alongside kamara would improve us. Gerrard's team selection and his personal favourites with players are one of the key part of the problems. He always talks about players pushing for first team football but then never changes anything even if they perform well. 

Hopefully we build on yesterday now, a non villa fan text me during the game and said Buendia changed the game. If he doesn’t start the next game it’ll be disappointing. Critchley seemed very involved during the subs when we made 3 very late on. The midfield is still a worry when we attack it’s just wide open especially when kamara drops back. I’d like to see something different from Gerrard now for palace, I don’t think we we need to play two up top every game but I don’t think he’ll change anything 

As happy as I am with the win yesterday.  I’m still disappointed in how it was achieved. 

we were the better team for most of the match, yet we still barely beat a poor Everton side. We still lack any identity and tactical direction. The only glimpse of something to build from was how we player when Beundia came on. The boy was everywhere doing all the dirty creative work that was missing in the first 60 minutes. Lil Emi being on the pitch made it feel like Villa had a genesis of an identity, a way of playing, a style. Something that’s much needed in the squad. A philosophy to work towards. if Beundia is the lynchpin to that notion, then he needs to be on the pitch more than Courtiho.

Steve needs to be dropping his boy methinks 

• Like 3

It looks like we're going to persist with the 4-1-2-1-2 for the moment - I'm not against that completely, but I'm not sure about McGinn and Ramsey as the two 8's - I just think we could do with more defensively in the middle of the park.

Against better teams or away from home against reasonable teams I'd prefer a slightly more secure 4-2-1-1-2 with someone next to Kamara, or even a 4-2-2-2 with support for Kamara, Ramsey and McGinn behind the strikers and no number ten.

We have some options - but I still think we need a good sized number six to play next to Kamara for when we're 4-2-1-1-2.

Right now though, I think we're going to be:

-------------------------------Martinez--------------------------

Cash--------Chambers-----------Mings---------Digne

--------------------------------Kamara---------------------------

-----------------Ramsey-------------McGinn----------------

-------------------------------Buendia---------------------------

-----------------Watkins---------------Ings-------------------

• Like 1

1 minute ago, briny_ear said:

Don’t know about anyone else, but the debate about whether Coutinho or Buendia, or both, start, makes me feel like I am in dreamland. What a fantastic “problem” for a manager to have to solve. Beats having to choose between, say Jedinak and Bjarnasson any day in my book. 

Yes it does. Though he should definitely be choosing Buendia at the moment.

12 minutes ago, picicata said:

Yes it does. Though he should definitely be choosing Buendia at the moment.

I think after yesterday, he might have no choice.

One of the pods were saying they actually felt a bit sorry for Coutinho.

They say that possibly because he is held to such a high standard, if he isn't doing magical things constantly it looks like he does nothing.

Also in the same vein noted that it's almost like watching the demise of a " great ". Coutinho and Buendia are on opposite trajectories, EMI is on the ascendancy to surpass Coutinho ( Some will argue he already has ).

I still feel that at peak powers, Coutinho edges EMI currently, but we know that is not so often anymore.

I've got to wonder if SG is actually trying to bring some confidence back to him, hence stubbornly starting him. The bloke might feel like shite himself.

They also pointed out that even Coutinho must be aware that Buendia is the fans favourite and it probably.plays on his mind as well.

As poster above said though, it's a great problem to have. I'm extremely happy to have both in the squad.

It's a shame we don't have more games ( Europe etc ) where both can feel equally appreciated.

Coutinho shines in games where there is loads of space to exploit.

EMI is the type you want in the battles. In the modern PL, there are more wars/ battles than " coasting ".

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I think after yesterday, he might have no choice.

One of the pods were saying they actually felt a bit sorry for Coutinho.

They say that possibly because he is held to such a high standard, if he isn't doing magical things constantly it looks like he does nothing.

Also in the same vein noted that it's almost like watching the demise of a " great ". Coutinho and Buendia are on opposite trajectories, EMI is on the ascendancy to surpass Coutinho ( Some will argue he already has ).

I still feel that at peak powers, Coutinho edges EMI currently, but we know that is not so often anymore.

I've got to wonder if SG is actually trying to bring some confidence back to him, hence stubbornly starting him. The bloke might feel like shite himself.

They also pointed out that even Coutinho must be aware that Buendia is the fans favourite and it probably.plays on his mind as well.

As poster above said though, it's a great problem to have. I'm extremely happy to have both in the squad.

It's a shame we don't have more games ( Europe etc ) where both can feel equally appreciated.

Coutinho shines in games where there is loads of space to exploit.

EMI is the type you want in the battles. In the modern PL, there are more wars/ battles than " coasting ".

I think also after seeing the lionesses and bringing on the energy of the youngsters like AlessIa Russo and co in the 60th minute when the opposition is tiring it must be the same and demoralising seeing Buendia come on with his boundless energy and technical skill, and for Emi having more space, tiring opposition knowing you can go full pelt for 30 minutes.  

Almost the same with Bailey as well.  

Bringing on them two with 30 minutes to go, especially for the opposition in that 35c heat after 60 minutes might be a great tactic than wasting them from get go.  Just an idea!

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Don’t know about anyone else, but the debate about whether Coutinho or Buendia, or both, start, makes me feel like I am in dreamland. What a fantastic “problem” for a manager to have to solve.

That's precisely the problem though isn't it... that it doesn't look to be much of a problem. A 'name' starts in front of a superior player. As fans, we don't really care that Coutinho used to be brilliant, or that Coutinho used to play alongside the manager, we only care about the here and now. Gerrard and Coutinho are both trading on the past, on our time.

The central defenders and strikers know they'll pay with their place in the first XI for performing poorly, the midfielders know that they'll start regardless. It's no wonder we've generally been rubbish under Gerrard with this kind of approach.

• Like 1

Interesting video on the lack of midfield from both teams yesterday. I find it amazing that two of England’s best midfielders from the last 20 years can produce teams like this. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Laughable Chimp said:

That's just one source for xG. Others have us as much lower. 

I didn't realise there were multiple sources, makes sense though. What is/are the credible sources?

Edit: (after some research) fbref, which I believe is credible has us 7th in xG table

Edited by Peter Griffin

32 minutes ago, sparrow1988 said:

Interesting video on the lack of midfield from both teams yesterday. I find it amazing that two of England’s best midfielders from the last 20 years can produce teams like this. 

So essentially, we and Everton sacrifice midfield presence to help out the attack. it’s a shame both teams can only muster 4 shots on target playing this way… 

tactically, there’s gotta be a safer way of playing and still getting more shots on target. 

4 minutes ago, nick76 said:

I’m sure the commentator on the Forest game just said he was at our game yesterday and how pedestrian our first half was compared to this game. Sorry buddy that we bored you! 😎

From a neutral perspective, the first half yesterday was boring af… it was basically the simpsons take on football

giphy.gif?cid=5e21488615hqm0a7ia1g40wxod

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Â