Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

'The second half was more how I wanna see it'

'People have really jumped out in that second half and let me know they want to be in the starting XI'

Bailey goes without saying, I'd like to think Buendia too but I'll believe it when I see it. Apart from them two Luiz, Chambers, KKH?

20 minutes ago, Biskitt said:

I really don't get some of the negativity although not surprised.

It's his first pre-season with the players, some of whom probably wouldn't have considered joining us without him and he's trying out players in different formations in non competitive games. Isn't that the point of pre-season games?

Yes the first half was a bit shit but it showed that we have a stronger squad now than we've had for years and the competition for places should keep everyone on their toes. If he continues to pick favourites regardless of form and stick to formations that aren't working (in competitive matches) then I think it's fair to criticise him.

I can only speak for myself, but I think a bit of the negativity comes from the belief that that first half team is still Gerrards favoured team in terms of shape and personnel. When it’s clear it doesn’t work. 

1 minute ago, av1 said:

I can only speak for myself, but I think a bit of the negativity comes from the belief that that first half team is still Gerrards favoured team in terms of shape and personnel. When it’s clear it doesn’t work. 

Spot on!

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

good post match chat there - clearly not happy with the first 45 but chuffed players want to impress in the second half. 

Starts McGinn, Ramsey and Watkins (as well as Ings), leaves out Buendia and wonders why we weren't good enough in possession 🤦‍♂️

That's no slight on Ramsey btw, but you start him with Luiz/Sanson and not McGinn.

35 minutes ago, Rustibrooks said:

Pretty much agree with all of this.

Hmmm Konsa has a few good pre-seasons games… but was shocking last season, no way he is better than Mings at this stage based on that. 

• Like 2

I like McGinn and Ramsey individually but I don't like them playing together in the same midfield. Neither of them look after the ball well enough and we just lack control in games when they're making up the majority of the midfield. I think it's night and day when you have someone like Luiz playing with Kamara, the movement and passing become much better and you're suddenly not constantly turning over possession by being forced to lump it forward or leaving players completely isolated.

• Like 2

First half showing was really poor for me and looked just like the stuff we were producing most of last season. Created barely anything and wasted the tiny bit we did create with poor forward play. 

Second half was promising however and despite the incredibly wasteful final third moments (which were many) we caused them a lot of problems and were for me by far the better team both before all the subs came on & to a lesser extent afterwards too. Totally deserved the draw at least.

As for the ref? Appalling! He only started giving us anything in that last 20 mins & how they didn't get more yellows is a crime to football.

3 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Gerrard needs to (finally) learn from what he's seen today.

If we have a similar lineup at the start of the season, I'll give up hope.

Me too. If he goes back to playing the three of Ings Watkins Coutinho after today, he'll never learn.

• Like 1

He tried something they have worked on in training and at times worked last season. It didn’t work and he completely changed it for the second half.  Then it worked. 

It’s a pre season friendly and I think he got a lot of information from it so it was a good day. 

Now if he persists in things that don’t work next season for games that actually matter then I’ll join the negative shit that this thread is full of. But until then, get a grip  people! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

For all the pointing the finger of blame at him for the initial lineup, which clearly didn’t work at all today and doesn’t seem to work often enough to warrant sticking with it - people do understand that he also then picked the second half lineup too right?

Like it didn’t just happen by accident.

He’s obviously toying with the two formations, perhaps we’ll mix it up dependent on who we’re playing against?

People just see the starting line up and make judgements on that. It's a squad game now and most games we'll making lots of subs to move things around and alter formations. Like today. 

We need a strong core of 15-16 players and we are getting there. Still a couple of pieces to add I think. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He tried something they have worked on in training and at times worked last season. It didn’t work and he completely changed it for the second half.  Then it worked. 

It’s a pre season friendly and I think he got a lot of information from it so it was a good day. 

Now if he persists in things that don’t work next season for games that actually matter then I’ll join the negative shit that this thread is full of. But until then, get a grip  people! 

Yeah have to give gerrard credit for that. He realised it wasnt working and did the changes which worked enormously 

2 strikers isnt working.

Ings is too slow and not really a "lone striker" type, Watkins couldnt finish his dinner, and has bricks for feet.

Buendia and Bailey need to be starting.

McGinn is rubbish (ok, he's a good player, but he's a headless chicken who cant pass the ball straight - so useless)

looks a little weird, but for me:

Martinez

Cash - Chambers - Carlos - Digne

Luiz - Kamara

Buendia - Ramsey - Coutinho

Bailey

I know Bailey isnt a "striker", but he could do the roaming striker role imo, drifting left, right and central, then the AM three providing additional goal threat.

We need Baileys pace and guile to help stretch the opposition imo, and give them something different to worry about.

The only maybe in the above for me is Chambers vs Mings, but all the others need to play imo, to not play Bailey or Buendia, but play Watkins & Ings is just next level stupid imo.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, MaVilla said:

2 strikers isnt working.

Ings is too slow and not really a "lone striker" type, Watkins couldnt finish his dinner, and has bricks for feet.

Buendia and Bailey need to be starting.

McGinn is rubbish (ok, he's a good player, but he's a headless chicken who cant pass the ball straight - so useless)

looks a little weird, but for me:

Martinez

Cash - Chambers - Carlos - Digne

Luiz - Kamara

Buendia - Ramsey - Coutinho

Bailey

I know Bailey isnt a "striker", but he could do the roaming striker role imo, drifting left, right and central, then the AM three providing additional goal threat.

We need Baileys pace and guile to help stretch the opposition imo, and give them something different to worry about.

The only maybe in the above for me is Chambers vs Mings, but all the others need to play imo, to not play Bailey or Buendia, but play Watkins & Ings is just next level stupid imo.

Exactly the team id play that, as the players behind Bailey can drift all over the front 4 positions, the opposition wouldn’t know who to mark if they played that way

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ZL- said:

'The second half was more how I wanna see it'

'People have really jumped out in that second half and let me know they want to be in the starting XI'

I'd be happy with that if the signs hadn't been there for 6+ months now.

• Like 1

I think that Kamara and Dougie are the only 2 suitable for possession based football in our midfield. Then you have JJ McGinn , Sanson, Buendia who are all blood and thunder. 

We can be lethal but its going to be on the break unless against a far weaker team. 

2 hours ago, duke313 said:

KKH sowed against Man City in the FA Cup last season that he is more than good enough for this level.

Exactly!
Cash been poor pre season

Â