Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

Curious, what style of football do people want to see?

People complain that Brighton’s style is boring, Man City robotic, Burnley turgid.

I would guess people want Liverpools style? 

I enjoyed our football last season, but alas I was only watching on tv, might be different in the stands. 

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

People complain that Brighton’s style is boring, Man City robotic, Burnley turgid.

I enjoyed our football last season, but alas I was only watching on tv, might be different in the stands. 

Personally I want to see progression - I don't want to see us go a goal up and then see out the game. I d like to see a bit confidence that we can get a second or even 3rd goals.

We seemed to play within ourselves at times last season.

16 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Are we really a dour team though? I don’t get why people are saying this.

I think the issue is we have become much more of a compact side under Gerrard and as such create less. Until we become more clinical in front of goal in this system I think dour/boring etc, will be banded about at times. I would still like to see more width from an attacking point of view as I think we restrict ourselves in the final third and lose an element of creativity. However, that being said if we start winning by the odd goal more often than not, however boring to some, I won't be complaining. I just want to see us become winners again. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

attacking football and taking the game to teams from the kick off. We have an attacking talent of Coutinho, Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Digne, Cash, McGinn, Ramsey, Watkins and a few more yet we struggle to attack teams. Spurs game was really a rare exception. While Brisbane was a friendly it was still the same old shit as last season

Nobody is expecting us to win every game but at least entertain us while getting us 14th spot

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

attacking football and taking the game to teams from the kick off. We have an attacking talent of Coutinho, Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Digne, Cash, McGinn, Ramsey, Watkins and a few more yet we struggle to attack teams. Spurs game was really a rare exception. While Brisbane was a friendly it was still the same old shit as last season

Nobody is expecting us to win every game but at least entertain us while getting us 14th spot

You mean we struggle to break teams down? If that is still the case by half way through the season and we are in the bottom half of the table I agree with you Gerrard is the wrong man for the job.  

• Shocked 1

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You mean we struggle to break teams down? If that is still the case by half way through the season and we are in the bottom half of the table I agree with you Gerrard is the wrong man for the job.  

attack in general with a pattern instead of hope Coutinho or Buendia or Ramsey bails us out with a bit of magic. Arsenal at home and Liverpool away were 2 gutless performances and we played for a narrow loss, Newcastle we barely had an attack either

• Like 2

We need to control games for 90 minutes. I don’t care if we don’t see attacking football all the time, you don’t get that unless you’re a Man City or Liverpool fan. I want to see us beat teams like Palace at home 2-0 and the result to never be in doubt. 

You need to get to that level before you think about attacking for 90 mins relentlessly. Too many times last year we were good for 45 minutes and poor the next. Consistency and control is key. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

attack in general with a pattern instead of hope Coutinho or Buendia or Ramsey bails us out with a bit of magic. Arsenal at home and Liverpool away were 2 gutless performances and we played for a narrow loss, Newcastle we barely had an attack either

Agree with Arsenal at home. Liverpool at Anfield are on another level. To use that game as a criticism is harsh.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Agree with Arsenal at home. Liverpool at Anfield are on another level. To use that game as a criticism is harsh.

again not saying we should win but we were time wasting after 15 minutes. Liverpool fans say we are the worst team to visit Anfield as we made no effort to try and Norwich and Brentford gave them a better game there 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zatman said:

again not saying we should win but we were time wasting after 15 minutes. Liverpool fans say we are the worst team to visit Anfield as we made no effort to try and Norwich and Brentford gave them a better game there 

Liverpool fans are f*****g idiots. 

It was one of Gerrards early games. Last thing a new manager needs is a spanking.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Premier League ball in play 2021-22
Team Minutes Seconds
Manchester City 60 53
Tottenham Hotspur 57 2
Liverpool 57 0
Chelsea 56 39
Manchester United 56 26
West Ham 56 19
Wolves 56 9
Arsenal 56 1
Brighton 55 47
Leicester 55 21
Norwich 54 48
Crystal Palace 54 24
Watford 53 49
Everton 53 28
Brentford 53 10
Newcastle 52 58
Leeds 52 53
Burnley 52 47
Southampton 52 42
Aston Villa 52 23

Does football need a 60-minute 'stop-clock'? - BBC Sport

• Shocked 1

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I think that stems from the fact that our midfield didn't retain the ball well enough and so they and, as a result, the defenders try and get the ball forward too quickly.  That meant that the balls into Couts and Emi2 don't play to their strengths.  Watkins and Ings are also not good target men - pumping 50 yards passes into them is not what either of them need.  Watkins isn't strong enough to protect the ball until support arrives when it is pumped into him and he has his back to goal.  Ings is better at trying to make the run past the defender to get on the end of a ball slipped through to him.

If we can control the ball in the middle of the park then hopefully Couts and Emi2 will start receiving more balls in the right part of the pitch to their feet rather than coming through to them via the aerial route.  I think this is what Gerrard wants to do - and when our midfield do gain control then we can look very good.  But when our midfield are pushed back and struggling to keep hold of the ball then we quickly revert to the pump the ball down the channels for Watkins to chase.  Kamara might help Luiz / McGinn / JJ to play a bit further forward but I'm still worried that between two of those three we will still struggle to build attacks through the midfield and that when we lose the ball then Kamara will get exposed as they don't track back quickly enough.

Get some more support for Kamara to retain the ball and protect the defence then means that JJ can play with more freedom and get closer to, and then drive past, Couts and Emi2.  Luiz and McGinn coming off the bench gives us real options later in matches to either try and close out a game or take a more attacking approach if we are chasing another goal.

With no additional signing I worry that our midfield balance remains skewed and we'll never really be able to deliver what (I think) the manager wants.  Saying it is up to him to get the players to change is not simple when McGinn (as an example) has a defined set of skills - he will never be great at ball retention because that isn't what he is about.  With another Kamara level signing I think we suddenly become a team with a really strong midfield with plenty of options to try and adjust better to different match situations.  If we do that and still can't find a way to retain the ball better and implement our pattern of play more often than not I would be incredibly disappointed.

• Like 4

It finally feels like we have a team of footballers. That actually have a first touch  and a level skill on the ball that first got you into the game as a kid.

We have a golden opportunity here. If we can avoid any serious injuries we'll have multiple creative options,  multiple possible formations, and a very strong back 4 to build from.

In Diego and Kamara we've got some serious solidity added to our defensive side, and they can both "play football" as well. They're not the clogger-esque defensive options we've had in recent years/decades.

It's a good time to be a Villan and I'm very optimistic. 

If Watkins doesn't find his best form, and Ings doesn't rediscover his 20 goal a season capabilites, I'd even back Archer to get a decent goal return for us with his ability to find space, hit the target, and the chance creation machines we've got behind him. 

Can't wait for the season to start. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:
Team Minutes Seconds
Manchester City 60 53
Tottenham Hotspur 57 2
Liverpool 57 0
Chelsea 56 39
Manchester United 56 26
West Ham 56 19
Wolves 56 9
Arsenal 56 1
Brighton 55 47
Leicester 55 21
Norwich 54 48
Crystal Palace 54 24
Watford 53 49
Everton 53 28
Brentford 53 10
Newcastle 52 58
Leeds 52 53
Burnley 52 47
Southampton 52 42
Aston Villa 52 23

Thanks for this. I want to say it doesnt matter, but to come bottom over the entire season worse than the relegated teams, I think it does. We are in bad company down there. 

6 hours ago, fruitvilla said:
Team Minutes Seconds
Manchester City 60 53
Tottenham Hotspur 57 2
Liverpool 57 0
Chelsea 56 39
Manchester United 56 26
West Ham 56 19
Wolves 56 9
Arsenal 56 1
Brighton 55 47
Leicester 55 21
Norwich 54 48
Crystal Palace 54 24
Watford 53 49
Everton 53 28
Brentford 53 10
Newcastle 52 58
Leeds 52 53
Burnley 52 47
Southampton 52 42
Aston Villa 52 23

Emi Martinez take a bow son.

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Vancvillan said:

Emi Martinez take a bow son.

I immediately thought of Emi’s antics when I saw that table. He’ll get himself sent off for it at some point.

It’s not only on Emi though and I would like to see us move up that table considerably over the next 12 months.

• Like 2

Maybe a a lot of it is down to the long throws near the start of the season? It was getting ridiculous how many we were taking and they eat up time with the towel wiping of the ball, the run up etc.

Anyway no harm with a bit of gamesmanship. It’s always been part of the game.

• Haha 1

Â