Team shape, tactics and personnel

MaVilla

8 hours ago, villan501 said:

Massive season for Stevie this year if and I say if he persists with his favourites either player or formation  he is doomed.

Playing mcginn mings and Ramsey in a possession based game style dosnt work all 3 are poor at ball retention and 2 of them cannot stop lumping the ball needlessly long inviting more and more pressure on the defence.

Formation wise 2up front dosnt work it's very ineffective and lacks a real punch in terms of goals.If SG persists with picking what he views his best 11 and results in playing a player out of position he will be under huge pressure by end of October.

I couldnt care less who trains the best clearly mcginn trains well this don't guarantee anything on game day. We have a squad of players fairness and trying to win games is what I want not the same picking of failing players hoping the luck changes.

Over to you SG

If the team, picks itself( i.e all standout players) I would agree.....but it don't.

There are umpteen different formations, fans would pick, so its all about opinions.

However, only one opinion matters, so its likely, many will not agree.

its been an age old chesnut since football began.....I guess all the other teams have the same conversations.

Rons 14 all season ( 1980/81)was an exception, not the rule.....thats about the only time, the fans agreed on the line up.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Thinking about it Kamara-Luiz-Ramsey would be a nicely balanced three. Good defensive nous and technical ability. And still leaves space for three attackers or two inside forwards.

Something that can't really happen with todays decision. Well done Steven.

This was my midfield for the season. It’s a shame we won’t see it now.

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, tinker said:

Maybe, harsh on Ramsey, Louis is going though or he's not signing a new contract. Gerrard has shown he ain't bothered about upsetting players if he thinks it will get him results. 

The problem is he didnt really get results for his stubbornness. 6 wins from 22 in 2022 is piss poor

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MellbergsBeard said:

This was my midfield for the season. It’s a shame we won’t see it now.

Gerrard with another very odd decision, but is anyone actually surprised by it?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Zatman said:

The problem is he didnt really get results for his stubbornness. 6 wins from 22 in 2022 is piss poor

I know, I'm not impressed, so far it's been underwhelming. However Gerrard obviously has ideas on how to change us and he isn't bothered about upsetting the status quo to do it, Ming's is a big personality at Villa and it's a big move from Gerrard.

Ming's.....  a towering center back who is verbal and all in 100% committed. .....He can also be rash, gung ho , he over commits and gets drawn into battles he shouldn't be. I have also watched him shouting for others to cover when he goes wondering around the pitch, calling them out of their positions.

I love him as a player but see his limitations, I think Gerrard does as well and him being dropped as Captain makes it easier for him to be tested. I think we will see Konsa and Carlos as a CB pairing. 

As for McGinn, on reflection Im not so sure he's secure in his midfield role, I think Gerrard will drop him if he thinks it will improve us, we have Martinez as the vice captain and how can McGinn feel hard done by after replacing Ming's as Captain, he can't ? 

15 hours ago, sne said:

It's going to be the team that started against Manure if everyone is fit.

Very harsh if he went with that considering Bailey was quite literally the best player that day. By a country mile as well. Unless he plays and is toilet against Stade Rennais then it'd be criminal to not start him at Bournemouth.

My opinion is SG will run with the diamond this season.  We played it often last season with mixed success, we've used it all preseason as well.  If this is the case- the real question is getting the right players into this formation.

Imo the front 2 should be Watkins and Bailey.  Full stop.  Both offer PACE which our side desperately needs.  Both can run the channels, Bailey has the technical skills Watkins lacks.  The diamond tip can rotate between Coutinho/Buendia.  I think it should be Emi as 1st choice, but I expect it to be PC in the 1st11.  Kamara obviously at the base.  Then the sides will be Ramsey/SJM/Luiz/Sanson rotation...or a new no8 if we sign one.  Back 4 is deep and strong this season.  Cash/Carlos/Digne are certainly starting.  Only question is the other CB.  I think its a competition between Mings/Konsa/Chambers in that order.  Those 3 might rotate depending on form and competition being faced.

my 2 cents.

What about 4 2 3 1 with the following:

Martinez

KKH    Chambers   Carlos   Digne

Kamara      Iroegbunam

Bailey           Buendia     Coutinho 

Watkins

I don’t think Gerrard would ever pick it but I was trying to pick a side with good balance. It’s got pace, goals link up from front to back, defensive cover, playing out from the back and a mixture of youth and experience.

Edited by mallett

10 minutes ago, mallett said:

What about 4 2 3 1 with the following:

Martinez

KKH    Chambers   Carlos   Digne

Kamara      Iroegbunam

Bailey           Buendia     Coutinho 

Watkins

I don’t think Gerrard would ever pick it but I was trying to pick a side with good balance. It’s got pace, goals link up from front to back, defensive cover, playing out from the back and a mixture of youth and experience.

There's not a chance we drop Cash for KKH.

This would be my starting eleven.. solid with plenty of scope for big impact subs

Martinez

Cash      Carlos     Mings    Digne

Kamara            Luiz

JJ             Coutinho     McGinn 

Watkins

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, catanzaro said:

This would be my starting eleven.. solid with plenty of scope for big impact subs

Martinez

Kamara            Luiz

JJ             Coutinho     McGinn 

Watkins

giphy.gif

• Haha 2

It should be something like

Martinez

Kamara  - Luiz  - JJ

Bailey                Buendia 

Watkins

But with Gerrard it will be

Martinez

Kamara     JJ      McGinn

Coutinho       

Watkins -- Ings

there is a chance he might drop everyone and just play Coutinho, Mcginn on their own.

I think we start some sort of version of a 4-3-3 - whether that's with two strikers and a ten or two wide men operating off a striker. 

-------------------------Martinez---------------------

Cash--------Carlos--------Mings-------Digne

----------Kamara-----------------Luiz---------------

-------------------------McGinn------------------------

As the base - then three from Coutinho, Buendia, Bailey, Ings and Watkins.

So maybe:

------------------------Coutinho----------------------

-------------Ings-----------------Watkins-----------

Or:

Bailey-------------------------------------Coutinho

----------------------Watkins--------------------------

Or:

-------------Buendia-------Coutinho--------------

-----------------------Watkins-------------------------

Take your pick.

I think we'll have problems if we start messing with the shape of that back eight in order to squeeze both McGinn and Ramsey into the line up.

• Like 1

After re-evaluating my starting 11 now we have a new captain I came up with this.....

Martinez

Cash     Chambers     Carlos     McGinn

Kamara    Luiz

Buendia

Bailey                                 Coutinho

Ings or Watkins   

Everyone's a winner 😂

17 minutes ago, Kingman said:

For me, On current form after Martinez the next 2 names on the teamsheet should be Bailey and Buendia. 

I just don't think Gerrard sees it that way he starts with a team sheet 80% already filled out and then 2 or 3 positions he might evaluate and then play exactly who he did in the last game.

if a player is off form to the point they have been crap for 3-4 games he might rotate, then bring them straight back a game later regardless how well their replacement did.

This is why so many people are already fed up of his management style.

I just genuinely hope this season he wipes the slate clean and doesn't play favourites again, but making McGinn captain suggests otherwise. McGinn might be a nice guy and well liked but half the midfield will be looking at his average peformances and thinking 'I don't get it', being captain puts even more pressure on you to lead by example, a few naughty tackles and being sh*gged out by the 60th minute doesn't cut it.

4 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

if a player is off form to the point they have been crap for 3-4 games he might rotate, then bring them straight back a game later regardless how well their replacement did.

Sounds like he's in the running to be the next England manager!.. That you Gareth :D

• Haha 1

Based on pre-season form, I’d like to see us start at Rennes/Bournemouth

Martinez

Cash   Chambers   Carlos   Digne

McGinn     Kamara     Luiz

Buendia 

Bailey                   Watkins

play yourself in and out the team lads. 5 subs, everyone stays fresh.

• Like 1

Â