Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

Scruffy Murphys, Snobs, The Cross (Moseley), Prince of Wales (Moseley)* and Patrick Kavanaghs. I also remember a few nights in the Adam and Eve.

* This was the Prince of Wales before it turned into a glorified German market. The back rooms were basically living rooms. There was Hungarian Steve, and Pete the Feet flogging you his customised lighters.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

Scruffy Murphys, Snobs, The Cross (Moseley), Prince of Wales (Moseley)* and Patrick Kavanaghs. I also remember a few nights in the Adam and Eve.

* This was the Prince of Wales before it turned into a glorified German market. The back rooms were basically living rooms. There was Hungarian Steve, and Pete the Feet flogging you his customised lighters.

God you’ve just reminded me how bad PoW in Moseley is these days. Full of clearings and it’s like a bloody shanty town. Shame. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, It's Your Round said:

My era of Birmingham clubbing was 96 to around 2003. The first place I ever went was the Dome II, used to be alright for pulling birds but the music was a bit cheesy and it shut early. I went to Wobble once too which was okay.

I spent most Fridays in Godskitchen at The Sanctuary, I bloody loved it there, necking drugs like there was no tomorrow. Saturday’s and/or Sundays would be Sundissential at Pulse, the pill popping increased as did the range of clubbing locations I’d visit. I went all over from Bournemouth to Leeds. But Birmingham was always the best.

Other clubs that stand out; Code, The Nightingale, Steering Wheel, West End Bar, the Custard Factory and probably my favourite venue, the Que Club. I’ve had some brilliant nights and days there, it’s the perfect club to be off ya rocker on acid. So many weird corridors and stairwells to get lost in 😂

Aye, good times were had in Birmingham’s clubs. Surprisingly I can remember the majority of them. 

I used to go to a lot of these places. Plenty of mixed memories (some great and others not so much).

I remember the earlier days of Sundissential when it was at Pulse and went from 12pm though to midnight on a Sunday. It was weird hours to go clubbing, but it became popular within the club scene and was full to the brim nearly every Sunday. Then it switched days and venues, never to the the same again. 
The promoter was a guy known as “Mad Dog/Madders”. I wonder what happened to him. He’d be an interesting case study into what years and years worth of very heavy ecstasy usage does to a person. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Digbeth was the centre of my world back end of the 80s into the 90s. Irish Centre, Burberries, I am sure there was a few others but my memory is hazy. If it wasn’t there it was The Hummingbird. 

• Like 2

Good thread @sidcow. I know its been discussed in various threads before like the nostalgia one, but good to have a specific place to talk about them. 

The two I went to most in my youth was Dome II and Snobs. Ahhhh halcyon days! Snobs was proper chill, great music and everyone was cool. Just real friendly. Cheap drinks and well - a spirit and mixer for £1.50? 

Dome II could be a bit moody but student nights on a Thursday was a must visit. Like shooting fish in a barrel in there for me one summer. I did like the 70's nights they had there as well, for the MILFs who were looking for a bit of fun. It was always touch and go whether you would be allowed in though, as the bouncers could be arseholes. When I think of the Dome and close my eyes I always hear Stardust's 'Music Sounds Better With You' playing! 

I also used to go the 'proper' club nights that @Morley_crosses_to_Withe mentions. Godskitchen at Code/Air being the one I went to most. I think the building is abandoned now, which is a shame. Had some good memories there including a NYE party with some 'superstar' DJ on the decks (Sasha? Fergie?). Remember coming out of there at 6am on NYD and I was a sweaty mess and somehow managing to walk to the old New St station taxi rank and then get charged over £40 to get home! Other nights like Helter Skelter, Babooshka, Polysexual, Sundissential, Miss Moneypennys & Atomic Jam and other venues like the Sanctuary, Que Club, Bonds, etc, all blur together in a warm fuzzy glow. 

Medicine Bar at Custard Factory was always a decent pre-clubbing bar, remember seeing Scissor Sisters there once. I also did the Broad Street scene quite a lot in the early 00's - Stoodi Bakers being a favourite, as well as the more cheesy places on the strip like the Works. 

I used to go out in Moseley quite a lot as well. A lot of the places @AVFC_Hitz mentioned. Always used to go there on Xmas Eve as my mate lived in Kings Heath. I'd sleep over at his and return home on Christmas Day, just in time for my Mom serving Xmas Dinner! 

I think the whole scene has changed now,  you don't seem to get the big club nights now. Things evolve I guess. I enjoyed my nights out there and probably hit the peak times of the superclub era. I was too young for the whole rave scene but at least I saw a bit of the golden era of clubs. People just wanted to have a good time back then without any need for showing off on facebook or instagram or recording everything on their mobile. 

Good times. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Burberries

Click Club I presume? Run by an old mate of mine Dave Travis, who also took all the photos, He's worth a follow on Twitter @Birmingham_81 (EDIT: added the all important underscore), he's always posting his photos from back then. A small selection in the article linked below

Remember Birmingham's Click Club? See amazing pictures from Broad Street nightspot

Apologies but its the Evening Mail

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, bickster said:

Click Club I presume? Run by an old mate of mine Dave Travis, who also took all the photos, He's worth a follow on Twitter @Birmingham81 (off the top of my head), he's always posting his photos from back then. A small selection in the article linked below

Great photos on there. Looks to be a fun era to go out in. 

16 minutes ago, bickster said:

Click Club I presume? Run by an old mate of mine Dave Travis, who also took all the photos, He's worth a follow on Twitter @Birmingham81 (off the top of my head), he's always posting his photos from back then. A small selection in the article linked below

Definitely the click club. Did a search for him on twitter, nothing jumped out. 
Loved that venue. Saw so many bands, the best of times. 

2 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Definitely the click club. Did a search for him on twitter, nothing jumped out. 
Loved that venue. Saw so many bands, the best of times. 

I missed the underscore, I have editted the post @Birmingham_81

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I used to go to a lot of these places. Plenty of mixed memories (some great and others not so much).

I remember the earlier days of Sundissential when it was at Pulse and went from 12pm though to midnight on a Sunday. It was weird hours to go clubbing, but it became popular within the club scene and was full to the brim nearly every Sunday. Then it switched days and venues, never to the the same again. 
The promoter was a guy known as “Mad Dog/Madders”. I wonder what happened to him. He’d be an interesting case study into what years and years worth of very heavy ecstasy usage does to a person. 

I remember Madders, he was always off his tits. I met him a few times. Not sure what ever happened to him in the end, but he was a few sausages short of a sandwich. 

There was definitely some mixed memories there, you’re right. I’ll never forget the first night back after the millennium when that a young lad died. That was horrendous, as was the same thing happening at the Queue club and up in Leeds. That should have really been a clear enough message for me to get my act together, but it wasn’t. 

There was something quite revolutionary about going out and getting wrecked on a Sunday afternoon. Reaching for the lazers, coming up on mitsi turbos, sweat pouring off the ceiling, all while people were tucking into their Sunday roasts. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bickster said:

Click Club I presume? Run by an old mate of mine Dave Travis, who also took all the photos, He's worth a follow on Twitter @Birmingham_81 (EDIT: added the all important underscore), he's always posting his photos from back then. A small selection in the article linked below

It's weird seeing old photos of places like that,  no mobiles.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Anyone remember the Cedar Club on Constitution Hill? I once saw the Au Pairs there, absolutely no idea how I was let in because I was about 15

I do but only cos my bus in to town stopped outside it. I never went in there but often thought how grim it looked from the outside. 

I also wondered how it could make money as it was not exactly in the centre of town's bar and club circuit. 

I think it might've turned into a curry house or if not isn't the hen and chickens desi grill place somewhere around there ?

I guess only @Xelacould confirm that !

15 hours ago, bickster said:

Anyone remember the Cedar Club on Constitution Hill? I once saw the Au Pairs there, absolutely no idea how I was let in because I was about 15

Come again? 

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, Xela said:

I think the whole scene has changed now,  you don't seem to get the big club nights now. Things evolve I guess. I enjoyed my nights out there and probably hit the peak times of the superclub era. I was too young for the whole rave scene but at least I saw a bit of the golden era of clubs. People just wanted to have a good time back then without any need for showing off on facebook or instagram or recording everything on their mobile. 

have you ever booked out the VIP area and spent the night with some beautiful ladies behind the velvet rope with ciroc and champers on ice?

no but i have hit the snobs £1 carlsberg vending machine too hard and been kicked out for being sick in the plastic tub that they used as a bottle bin next the gents....

pretty much all of mine in brum was snobs, it was the music but the cheap drinks helped, kiddy and worcester had nowhere like it

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

have you ever booked out the VIP area and spent the night with some beautiful ladies behind the velvet rope with ciroc and champers on ice?

no but i have hit the snobs £1 carlsberg vending machine too hard and been kicked out for being sick in the plastic tub that they used as a bottle bin next the gents....

pretty much all of mine in brum was snobs, it was the music but the cheap drinks helped, kiddy and worcester had nowhere like it

Until you have dived off the stage at Kidderminster Market Tavern you haven’t lived. 

Edited by Seat68
  • Like 1

Â