Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

Was there a place called XL's at Five Ways, some sort of rock/indie thing in the mid-90's. Also, does anyone know the name of the place that was in the old ITV studios next to Alpha Tower, I seem to remember going a couple of times and it being a bitt moody. 

Spent most of my time in the Hummingbird, Snobs and Edwards.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bickster said:

Tin Can Club?

Don’t think so, this was early mid 90s heavy dance culture, most people off their tits on Jimmy hills, A lot of the birds dressed like pixies and spent the night dancing and gurning, then for a couple of pints near the market because the boozer used to open at 6 am on a Sunday morning for the traders

Then go home and cry

Edited by Follyfoot

12 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Was there a place called XL's at Five Ways

Yep, you could find me there or Edwards No8 most Friday and Saturday nights between 91 and 99.

Had some fantastic nights in both.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mottaloo said:

Wasn't there a wine bar underneath it called Maxwell's plum ? 

Wine bars were de rigeur when i was an office junior in the early 80s. I also remember Hortes wine bar the other side of 5 ways island, part of a small shopping centre. Can't remember the name of the pub that was next to the car park - it was upstairs or you could at least enter it from the upper level of that car park.

Also remember Albert's wine bar, in Albert street down from marks and Spencer heading towards dale end.

Happy, uncomplicated days...

Yes, Maxwells was downstairs but I don't ever remember going there to be honest.  I did go to Hortes quite a bit, may be why I never went to Maxwells.  

I also used to go to Albert's quite often.  An odd building on different levels I seem to recall.  I was sad when they knocked that building down for absolutely no good reason as far as I can tell. 

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Don’t think so, this was early mid 90s heavy dance culture, most people off their tits on Jimmy hills, A lot of the birds dressed like pixies and spent the night dancing and gurning, then for a couple of pints near the market because the boozer used to open at 6 am on a Sunday morning for the traders

Then go home and cry

No, wouldn't have been that then. The Tin Can was on Bradford St, round the corner from the Market. But it was an alternative club that put bands on in the '80s. Hit the national papers when Play Dead played there and a PD fan couldn't get in so climbed up to the roof to try and watch the gig and fell through a skylight to his death

There was also that club that Andy Gray used to own, again it was mainly an alternatie club, Holy CIty Zoo. They also put the odd band on. I believe its now a club called Subway City. Gray was famously out of action for a few weeks because he was walking around the club after hours in bare feet and cut his feet on broken glass requiring stitches (Whodathoughtit broken glass on a nightclub floor!)

Most nights out for me used to start at The Exchange (might have become XL's for a while) under the Mcdonald's ramp.  I went there regularly before I was 18 and was not once challenged.  Then I went there to start my 18th Birthday celebrations, and they challenged me and because I didn't have any ID they wouldn't let me in.  I couldn't believe it after all that underage drinking in there. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Was there a place called XL's at Five Ways, some sort of rock/indie thing in the mid-90's. Also, does anyone know the name of the place that was in the old ITV studios next to Alpha Tower

That was Bonkers.   Used to be a mad place. They had got hold of loads of Tizwas stuff so used to round up loads of girls and put them in a cage before the Phantom Flan Flinger would appear and chuck fake custard pies at them.. It definitely could get moody in there.  

I remember taking a piss in the overflowing urinal once when the biggest spliff you've ever seen in your life came floating by down the trough. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Talking of moody, how about the Gary Owen 🤣🤣

Didn't know that counted as a nightclub, but yeah I went there once with a big Paddy from work.

I'd been drinking in The Gough and the working mens club next to it since early so I have next to no recollection of The Garry Owen. hammered before I got through the door.

My clubbing days were quite short for many of the reasons already mentioned on here, crap music, crap people, crap atmosphere and crap overpriced beer.  I'd got a long term girlfriend who became my wife so the attraction of the ladies had wained which was a lot of what made it such fun anyway. 

During my mid to late 20s I would be in the top floor of The Ship Ashore where they played loads of Rock'n'roll, some Northern Soul and 60s music, little. Bits of Punk, mostly The Clash, occasional bits of emerging 90s stuff like James and The Wonderstuff, and mental things such as Rawhide, Fireball XL5, Champion The Wonder Horse and the final tune every night was The Ovaltineys. 

You could buy bottles of Newquay Steam Bitter reasonably cheaply and despite it being packed to the rafters I never saw a single fight, or even a hint of one. 

I look back on those nights far more fondly than my earlier days in the "proper" clubs. 

• Like 1

First club I went to was the Ritzy on boxing day 1990 when I'd turned 17 a few days before with a handful of mates, all either just 17 or a few months younger, for whom it was also their first time in a night club. Not sure why we chose the Ritzy it may well have been known that you could get in under age. Over the years then did Pagoda Park, The Dome, Orleans, The Institute, Bakers, Snobs, Wobble and for a guaranteed pull The Gary Owen. 

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, rjw63 said:

Didn't know that counted as a nightclub, but yeah I went there once with a big Paddy from work.

I'd been drinking in The Gough and the working mens club next to it since early so I have next to no recollection of The Garry Owen. hammered before I got through the door.

Had bouncers and was. Open until 2am so kind of qualifies, absolute hell hole

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

That was Bonkers.   Used to be a mad place. They had got hold of loads of Tizwas stuff so used to round up loads of girls and put them in a cage before the Phantom Flan Flinger would appear and chuck fake custard pies at them.. It definitely could get moody in there.

Think (in my era - early 80s) it was called Mr Moons....or again, i could be wrong 

Â