Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

3 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Romulus (Never heard of it)

JS31453495.jpg

Looks like Liberty's on Hagley Road, just before five ways. May have been called Romulus previous to being called Liberty's. 

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, bickster said:

The Romulus (Never heard of it)

JS31453495.jpg

9 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Looks like Liberty's on Hagley Road, just before five ways. May have been called Romulus previous to being called Liberty's. 

Yes I would say definitely Liberties but at some point the remodelled the building and the main entrance was then at the side. 

You can tell from this picture if you look at the circles in the plaster under the window. 

90s-memories-25.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, bickster said:

The Hummingbird, previously The Top Rank, laterly the Academy

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=466.0;at

I occasionally used to go there after The Ship Ashore.  Once nearly got battered by a Hells Angel type. I had left my beer on a shelf and gone to yeb toilet.  When I got back there were a bunch of biker types standing right next to it.  I stood by the shelf right next to this guy and eventually picked my beer up and took a sip.  He went nuts saying it was his beer I'd just started drinking. 

I had to do some fast talking, it was a close thing. 

7 minutes ago, Xela said:

This old bus station (i think) holds some memories

I remember it as a bus station, I seem to remember we got a National Express to London from there a few times when I was very young

EDIT, That wasn't the bus station though, the bus station was at the back iirc

This was the old coach station entrance

1280px-Digbeth_Coach_Station_-entrance_-

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

I remember it as a bus station, I seem to remember we got a National Express to London from there a few times when I was very young

Just looked it up and Air was an old bus/coach spray shop. 

• Like 1

OK, so this photo has freaked me out.  I was looking for something else, however I'm claiming this as an old photo of The Hummingbird but:

1) All those lovely Victorian buildings on the right knocked down to create the desolate 80's building's now there (and shortly to be knocked down) 

2) I had no idea that the former Argos (now B&M Stores I think?) used to be a Tesco. 

3) The main point is I used to slink around every nook and cranny on every subterranean level of the quite ludicrous maze of Oasis market like I had designed it (it's a big assumption that anyone actually designed such a nonsensical place). It was my Manor, I owned the place. My favourite 80's shirt mentioned earlier in this thread was bought there. 

I ventured in there in my 30’s and felt like I had landed on Mars, I lost my bearings. Haven't been there since and that makes me sadder than any other nostalgia thing. 

Dale_End_Birmingham_14-08-83.jpg

Edited by sidcow
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, bickster said:

Romeo and Juliet's (Smallbrook Queensway) 1979

JS31453490.jpg

Nana Mouskouri i believe ? 84 now........her and Demis Roussos (RIP) carved up the greek charts between them for years, i bet.

5 hours ago, sidcow said:

OK, so this photo has freaked me out.  I was looking for something else, however I'm claiming this as an old photo of The Hummingbird but:

1) All those lovely Victorian buildings on the right knocked down to create the desolate 80's building's now there (and shortly to be knocked down) 

2) I had no idea that the former Argos (now B&M Stores I think?) used to be a Tesco. 

3) The main point is I used to slink around every nook and cranny on every subterranean level of the quite ludicrous maze of Oasis market like I had designed it (it's a big assumption that anyone actually designed such a nonsensical place). It was my Manor, I owned the place. My favourite 80's shirt mentioned earlier in this thread was bought there. 

I ventured in there in my 30’s and felt like I had landed on Mars, I lost my bearings. Haven't been there since and that makes me sadder than any other nostalgia thing. 

Dale_End_Birmingham_14-08-83.jpg

My favourite 80s shirt was bought in oasis. Being from the sticks if I went to Birmingham it was either to buy records, visit Oasis or go to a gig. My first ever gig was down there at The Hummingbird. 

• Like 1

On 05/03/2021 at 05:45, mottaloo said:

Nana Mouskouri i believe ? 84 now........her and Demis Roussos (RIP) carved up the greek charts between them for years, i bet.

Really?

Thought it was @Seat68 out on the razz ;)

• Haha 3

On 05/03/2021 at 06:01, Seat68 said:

My favourite 80s shirt was bought in oasis. Being from the sticks if I went to Birmingham it was either to buy records, visit Oasis or go to a gig. My first ever gig was down there at The Hummingbird. 

Wow me too, used to go to oasis regularly to shop 

• Like 4

On 04/03/2021 at 19:33, bickster said:

1280px-Digbeth_Coach_Station_-entrance_-

Something in this thread I recognize. When I started going to Birmingham in the mid-90s it was cheaper to fly to Stansted and take the coach to here. 

On 05/03/2021 at 05:45, mottaloo said:

Nope. some woman who complained that the acts were shite so they offered her a spot.

Birmingham nightclub Romeo's & Juliet's in Smallbrook Queensway, in June 1979 when 34-year-old Carole Williams was offered chance to perform on stage after complaining about the talent on offer in the nightspot. She sang classics including 'I Will Survive' and 'Don't Cry For Me Argentina' in a 30-minute performance

Meaning Evil

• Thanks 1

Â