Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

14 hours ago, Xela said:

Talking of John Bright Street, thats where my folks met in the early 70s. My Mom asked my Dad for a dance in Rebeccas nightclub, One of the great Brum clubs of the 70s.

Rebeccas was in Severn Street; it was a really good gig to play but when we played there, we went down like a  french kiss at a wedding. One of Mr Fewtrell's clubs.

• Like 1

Us Seventies kids at least were taught how to laugh. Tiswas on a Saturday morning, adults being brilliantly childish,  and that in itself is a talent. Lenny Henry, Alexis Sayle, Frank Carson, Chris Tarrant, Spit the Dog and every seventies child subject of a wet dream, the gorgeous Sally James. What do the youth of today have, games with a kill list. 

Black Eyed Peas had a point with their cry of, "where is the Love"?

• Like 2

On 09/11/2023 at 08:35, sidcow said:

Newt and Cucumber used to be called The Exchange. It was my regular underage drinking establishment. 

Went there for my 18th, was challanged for the first time ever and didn't have any ID. 

They wouldn't let me in. The fact I'd been going in there underage for months didn't sway the bouncer. 

My work lot used to use The Windsor quite a lot till just before lockdown when they removed the jukebox.  We basically used to monopolise it and ensure we had decent tunes all evening. 

Loved the Exchange, right in the corner under the ramp. Wasn't there a Berni Inn once nearby?

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

Loved the Exchange, right in the corner under the ramp. Wasn't there a Berni Inn once nearby?

I think it was a Berni Inn in the past. When I started going there it was a totally modern, trendy place. I was shocked when it was refurbed back into a traditional pub after it's "The Exchange" days of the late 80s to mid 90s.

5 minutes ago, sidcow said:

I think it was a Berni Inn in the past. When I started going there it was a totally modern, trendy place. I was shocked when it was refurbed back into a traditional pub after it's "The Exchange" days of the late 80s to mid 90s.

There and the Nightrider along with the Iron Horse sure does bring the memories pouring back. 

The first English pub I learned about and is permanently burned into memory, thanks to some regulars on the Villa Mailing-list in the 90s, is the Faculty and Firkin. Think it was in the area of the university.

Sadly never went myself. Dunno if the building still exists.

49 minutes ago, Tegis said:

The first English pub I learned about and is permanently burned into memory, thanks to some regulars on the Villa Mailing-list in the 90s, is the Faculty and Firkin. Think it was in the area of the university.

Sadly never went myself. Dunno if the building still exists.

Yep. Now called The Gosta Green. 

I took a pub crawl there a few years ago.  Absolutely massive inside but full of annoying students. 

IMG-20231231-WA0000.jpg

• Thanks 1

I went to a couple of games in 2010 with an older crowd, and remember sinking far too many pints in a student pub in Perry Barr, in the ground sof UCE.

Looking it up, I think it was the Hare of the Dog? Unless there was other pubs?

12 hours ago, Xela said:

I went to a couple of games in 2010 with an older crowd, and remember sinking far too many pints in a student pub in Perry Barr, in the ground sof UCE.

Remember one around there that was called the Fellow and Firkin but may have changed it’s name!

13 hours ago, Xela said:

Hare of the Dog is still there at 76 Franchise Street but seems closed, you would assume trade fell off a cliff when the Polytechnic closed. 

Used to be called the Wellhead Tavern before apparently but I guess there was that 90s trend of giving pubs stupid quirky names. Eugghh. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Remember one around there that was called the Fellow and Firkin but may have changed it’s name!

Yes, seems it was called that before The Hare of The Dog. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
Â