Ye Olde Birmingham of Yore

Follyfoot

6 hours ago, mottaloo said:

Looks like this thread needs renaming now 😉

'Old Birmingham record shops where Bicks and Seat hung out' doesn't have the same ring to it. 

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

I was known to move in a fashion that could be called dancing in Swordfish records. 

You bloody have to, the racks are so close together, three customers in the shop and everyones doing the swordfisdh twostep

4 minutes ago, bickster said:

You bloody have to, the racks are so close together, three customers in the shop and everyones doing the swordfisdh twostep

I remember going in there with 2 mates and we had to go in one at a time due to us looking in the same section. It was a squeeze. 

• Like 1

This video is hilarious.  Valet parking at The Bullring.  Waiter service in the pubs.  I wonder how long all that lasted for? 

I remember well The Bullring within 18 years of this video being made and it was a desolate hell hole.   For comparison the current Bullring is now 17 years old and you may or may not like it but it's still a premier shopping destination. It's aged so so much better. 

Anyway, the reason for my post is probably one for some older VT'ers. 

1) The Matador. I've heard of it.  I was certainly old enough to be drinking whilst the old bullring was still up but I can't ever remember any pubs in it.  In my minds eye I can't even picture where this pub with a balcony might have been.  Did it just close and get turned into something else? 

2) Even more freaky is The Ballroom.  I mean WTAF? It obviously wouldn't have stayed a ballroom for more than oh, I don't know, 10 minutes after 1965.   What happened to that? Where was it? You would have to think it became a night club, but again I am not aware of this. 

I would like to see a map of the old bullring to refresh my memory.  My memory of the old bullring is a little sketchy, I can mainly remember old central atrium with the escalators but definitely no pubs. 

I do remember the mental bus station underneath it which was possibly the most dangerous pedestrian environment in the UK. 

I'm hoping someone like @mjmooney can shed some light on this. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think the pub was just above the "Ho" in "Shopping on the video link above, opposite St Martins.

Is the ballroom where the big TK Maxx is now?

Oh wow, thanks. 

I've tracked this down.  Appears to have been called The Mayfair suite and apparently later called Kinetic Circus.  Sounds like it basically became a concert venue in the 70's.  I'm still certain something must have happened to it by the 80's because I have no recollection of it. 

This places it just where you said:

ZYgk9Vnfx81eC02PzM-8xTsBAdYgtfYblYpWtJl6

• Like 1

Also ironic that they commented about shoppers no longer having to trudge the streets and showing Rackhams on Corporation St, where the shopping experience was probably far more pleasant altogether

As Bicks has changed the thread title I can legitimately post these photos. 

The old Bullring on opening day:

jlp01_10_00149.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&w

And this is a great photo.  During construction with the new Woolworths newly built next to the old Woolworths about to be knocked down presumably to build the left hand side of the above photo. 

jlp01_08_063611.jpg?mode=max&quality=90&

I used to love the fact that the Bullring had a “futuristic” car park where you just drove onto a trolley and a man pushed it into a parking spot. You can see it in this video. 

Edited by choffer
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Risso said:

Some really old photos of Brum back in the day, taken by my grandad who died 40 years ago.

4AD41367-7D4C-4E3E-B4D3-2BC4DC3F8D83.jpeg

53FEB1EA-E2A2-4F98-9239-E35A32B291DA.jpeg

DEE55675-0520-4506-A866-591CA692C7BC.jpeg

97C4B3F5-C3C5-4C25-B9D9-D6F5F566FF78.jpeg

F|irst two look like Needless Alley, third is St Phillips Cathedral and last is Colmore Row looking towards the town hall I think. Great photos

I was going to say how weird it is that people would come into town to buy things like fruit and vedge and eggs........ But those markets do still actually exist.  Who the AF goes and shops there? Are they loads cheaper than supermarkets and corner shops? 

I've very rarely ventured to the markets in recent years but they don't seem to be very busy like you see in those old photos, then again I've probably never been to them on a Saturday for 30 odd years. 

10 minutes ago, bickster said:

1987, I think this starts off on the Aldridge Rd then onto Birchfield Rd and into town past the Bartons Arms

Thanks, given me an awful headache mind. 

Broad Street with barely a single bar.  Need to go to John Bright Street for a night out! 

Â