Pre-match Thread

MrBlack

1 hour ago, Indigo said:

Not only that, but you can just imagine so many of the same people suggesting it writing him off as not being good enough if it went badly.

Maybe some, but not me.

I want to see the youngsters getting games.  Its the way they will improve.

Elmo is past it.  I'd rather give the experience to a player who will benefit, even at the expense of a poor performance.

Look at the young fullback Leicester fielded against us - think he had a bad game?  No, he didn't.  Our youngsters are of a pretty high standard, and need to be trusted to do a job when we are struggling with injuries.

I'm not saying play him every game, but let him play some!!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So Elmo had a bad game after playing for the first time in over 2 months.  So let’s play the 18 year old kid that’s never played in the top flight before because obviously he can’t be any worse.  I just don’t agree with that attitude mate.   I probably shouldn’t have used the word ridiculous though. My bad.

If we took yours young players would never play and we'd have to be constantly buying players.

Can't have it both ways.

We are a club investing heavily in our youngsters.  The manager sees him as ready for the match day squad.  If he's good enough for the squad, he's good enough to play.

If our young players are to develop, we should use them when we have injuries.  Otherwise what's the point?

Leicester gave a first start to a young fullback against us - didn't seem to bother him did it?

11 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

If we took yours young players would never play and we'd have to be constantly buying players.

Can't have it both ways.

We are a club investing heavily in our youngsters.  The manager sees him as ready for the match day squad.  If he's good enough for the squad, he's good enough to play.

If our young players are to develop, we should use them when we have injuries.  Otherwise what's the point?

Leicester gave a first start to a young fullback against us - didn't seem to bother him did it?

Fair enough. 

Has to be kesler for me. Elmo wont be able to cope with thw bombardment on that side.

If not he may have to move konsa there and play engels with mings at cb.

I think trez has to start this onw as his work rate is really good

44 minutes ago, onmeedson said:

Sad to hear that Peter Lorimer is ill in a hospice, could he hit a ball.

Leeds haven't half lost some legends over last 18 months, hopefully he'll pull through. Was going to say Gordon McQueen aswell but he's not popular anymore in those parts!

Elmo is a big worry for this one ( the irony though is as good as Cash has been, he was in Harrison's pocket for the reverse fixture ) Its nothing to do with not having played much. It's just, we've upgraded on the quality of player we have and he isn't that good for where we want to get to. It's like if you had Traore out and Adomah had to replace him. The drop is noticeable and it was against Leicester. It's not a slow, laboured attack coming down the left either. They move at pace. Plus, he just hits it long every time he gets it. They'll be all over us like a rash anyone. Can't just give them the ball that easy.

• Like 1

Surprising Smith comments on Barkley, looks like he's starting. He owes him a string of performances after being given chance after chance.

He needs to start by dropping his position 10 yards because he simply cannot keep up with opponents.

They're likely to have Klich, Phillips and Rodrigo out. That's pretty much their three first choice midfielders (Though Rodrigo sometimes plays further forward as well). It'll be rather disappointing if they run all over us.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Tomaszk said:

Surprising Smith comments on Barkley, looks like he's starting. He owes him a string of performances after being given chance after chance.

He needs to start by dropping his position 10 yards because he simply cannot keep up with opponents.

They're likely to have Klich, Phillips and Rodrigo out. That's pretty much their three first choice midfielders (Though Rodrigo sometimes plays further forward as well). It'll be rather disappointing if they run all over us.

I agree. I don't subscribe to the Leeds theory from their fans that if they are missing a player, another can come in, fit in seamlessly and do the same job and not compromise the quality of the team. Individual ability does matter. I know they are big on the collective, but of course it matters. Shackleton is not going to be or as good as Phillips in DM role no matter how much he's drilled tactically. We need to take advantage of where they are weak.

We won't beat Leeds for years imo, unless it's in some "both reserve teams" league cup tie or whatever.

The entire club is perpetually rattled by the existence of Leeds Utd. Smith, Terry, the secretaries, Edens, Sawiris, everyone

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

Maybe some, but not me.

I want to see the youngsters getting games.  Its the way they will improve.

Elmo is past it.  I'd rather give the experience to a player who will benefit, even at the expense of a poor performance.

Look at the young fullback Leicester fielded against us - think he had a bad game?  No, he didn't.  Our youngsters are of a pretty high standard, and need to be trusted to do a job when we are struggling with injuries.

I'm not saying play him every game, but let him play some!!

Its kinda easier to accept a mistake from and 18 year old than a 30 odd year old.

I am not anti-Elmo....but I do think we need some energy in there tomorrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Annoyman said:

We won't beat Leeds for years imo, unless it's in some "both reserve teams" league cup tie or whatever.

The entire club is perpetually rattled by the existence of Leeds Utd. Smith, Terry, the secretaries, Edens, Sawiris, everyone

Stay away from those drugs son😜

10 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I agree. I don't subscribe to the Leeds theory from their fans that if they are missing a player, another can come in, fit in seamlessly and do the same job and not compromise the quality of the team. Individual ability does matter. I know they are big on the collective, but of course it matters. Shackleton is not going to be or as good as Phillips in DM role no matter how much he's drilled tactically. We need to take advantage of where they are weak.

Last time we played them they had injury problems on key players in defence and also Kalvin Phillips who is supposed to be their best midfielder. 

Didn't seem to affect them very much. 

5 minutes ago, Robtaylor200 said:

Really cant see us losing this one. I have no basis for my feelings except our defence is very strong, I think we may have a few goal line clearances but will come out top.

There is only so much a defence can do if we get overrun in midfield and getting doubled up on the wing again like we did at VP.

It all depends on Smith's tactical set up.

Barkley and Traore starting would be a complete disaster.

Edited by villalad21
  • Like 1

I get we're out of form and stylistically Leeds pose a bit of a dilemma for us but dear god some of the fear and paranoia in here for a game against a side below us in the league is borderline nauseating.

A sure fire way of putting in a turgid performance here is if Smith picks a team filled with central midfielders being played in random positions purely based on work rate in a desperate attempt at stopping what Leeds do. Even if that worked in one sense it would leave us so utterly ineffective in possession ourselves that it would completely defeat the purpose anyway.

Wouldn't mind and could understand one or both of Barkley and McGinn coming out for any of Sanson, Marvelous or even Ramsay. With the way this game will probably play out there's probably more merit in the former two coming into the game later when it's stretched and their quality potentially making a difference rather than persisting with trying to play them into form. Other than that and the classic AEG/Trez call there's not much that can be changed because we don't have the luxury of that sort of depth. Turn up and we can obviously win this though, and we're due doing so, so fingers crossed.

Edited by Indigo
  • Like 1