Pre-match Thread

MrBlack

14 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Has to be kesler for me. Elmo wont be able to cope with thw bombardment on that side.

If not he may have to move konsa there and play engels with mings at cb.

I wouldn't feel comfortable in seeing us start a player against Leeds that hasn't kicked a ball for us for almost a year.

• Like 2

Hope we see some tweaks today, Villa with Grealish is a whole different beast to Villa without Grealish. Even a out of form Grealish.

Fear is our midfield will once again be bypassed and allow far too many scoring opportunities. And we need the ones playing to show themselves for the ball now that the go to outlet in Grealish is not playing. Leeds is a difficult team to play against, but they are also really poor at defending and allow just as many opportunities to score against as we've done since the new year. If the rest of out players help Watkins to press we will get good scoring chances. If not them we risk getting run over.

Have a feeling Martinez will have a busy day once again.

We really need to find a way of playing these high intensity system based teams.

Brighton Southampton and leeds league positions tell us that they can be negated. We just need to wise up a bit and not play into their hands all the time.

• Like 2

Mings needs to keep his head today and not get owned by Bamford. We need mental discipline across the pitch. 

We imploded against Leeds last time out. They were by far the better team that evening, despite having chances in the first half. 

It was a big lesson. I hope for a more disciplined performance. It’s a game where players like Nakamba are better suited than out of form individuals like McGinn. 

We can still get a result. Nothing is a given. I think we just need to be sharp on the counter and ensure the full backs receive sufficient coverage and protection from the midfield and wingers too. 

• Like 1

A diamond for me:

-------------------------- Martinez ---------------------------

Kessler ------- Konsa ---- Mings --------- Targett

----------------------- Luiz OR Nakamba ----------------

------- SJM ------------------------------- Sanson --------

------------------------ Ramsey ------------------------------

---------------- Traore (free role) ------------------------

------------------------------ Watkins ------------------------

Get some legs in midfield and crowd them out.  Give Targett licence to bomb on - he was our most effective creative force v Leicester.  Everybody can see that our weak spot is depth and particularly beyond Jack and Traore in wide positions - AEG is ponderous, inconsistent and just doesn't do enough and Trez works his n**s off but is hopeless in front of goal - let's not try and shoehorn one of these in just to satisfy Dean's preference for 4-3-3 if there are better understudies and we can find a different system that works with them.  Smith's lack of tactical flexibility is his big downfall imho.

We've got to find a way to wrestle back control of games/shut other teams down and Deano's wide open 4-3-3 is just not doing it, especially without Jack!

Edited by barry'sboots
  • Like 2

45 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

A diamond for me:

-------------------------- Martinez ---------------------------

Kessler ------- Konsa ---- Mings --------- Targett

----------------------- Luiz OR Nakamba ----------------

------- SJM ------------------------------- Sanson --------

------------------------ Ramsey ------------------------------

---------------- Traore (free role) ------------------------

------------------------------ Watkins ------------------------

Get some legs in midfield and crowd them out.  Give Targett licence to bomb on - he was our most effective creative force v Leicester.  Everybody can see that our weak spot is depth and particularly beyond Jack and Traore in wide positions - AEG is ponderous, inconsistent and just doesn't do enough and Trez works his n**s off but is hopeless in front of goal - let's not try and shoehorn one of these in just to satisfy Dean's preference for 4-3-3 if there are better understudies and we can find a different system that works with them.  Smith's lack of tactical flexibility is his big downfall imho.

We've got to find a way to wrestle back control of games/shut other teams down and Deano's wide open 4-3-3 is just not doing it, especially without Jack!

I like this although I would have Marvelous at the base, shift Dougie to the right and have SJM at the head of the diamond. Keep JR in the bench.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Yep...I'm thinking the ruse is the kind of ruse we wont like!

Indeed. My take is that it’s a recurrence of the injury that we witnessed in the championship. However, more caution has been exhibited this time about. He has been rested as soon as any discomfort felt rather than continue to play. Hopefully he’ll be back sooner than that incidence but Smith is being very guarded on the issue, which is a concern for me.

• Like 1

I’d like to see something like this. 

Sanson  Luiz  Mcginn

Luiz sits and the other two are more box to box with the security of knowing if one goes forward the other can slightly cover. 

At the moment Mcginn goes forward and Luiz gets stranded. 

Or is that too simplistic?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’d like to see something like this. 

Sanson  Luiz  Mcginn

Luiz sits and the other two are more box to box with the security of knowing if one goes forward the other can slightly cover. 

At the moment Mcginn goes forward and Luiz gets stranded. 

Or is that too simplistic?

I like it 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, GENTLEMAN said:

Indeed. My take is that it’s a recurrence of the injury that we witnessed in the championship. However, more caution has been exhibited this time about. He has been rested as soon as any discomfort felt rather than continue to play. Hopefully he’ll be back sooner than that incidence but Smith is being very guarded on the issue, which is a concern for me.

Previous tells us he will be back 3 weeks after we are told he will be back!

I’m worried about Raphinha, he really is a very good player, and without Jack they have the upper hand when it comes to creating something out of nothing.

Controlling the ball will be really important here, I hope we make changes rather than go with our normal XI sans Jack.

Edited by a m ole

Leeds whole game plan is geared around pressing and constant overloads. 

We've looked short in the middle for a worrying amount of games now, for me Nakamba or Sanson has to start over Barkley or it will be a comfortable victory for them.

Quite worried about this one especially with it looking very Jack is out. Stylistically this is possibly the worst match up we could be facing with how we are playing at the moment.

• Like 1