Pre-match Thread

MrBlack

1 minute ago, penguin said:

Leeds whole game plan is geared around pressing and constant overloads. 

We've looked short in the middle for a worrying amount of games now, for me Nakamba or Sanson has to start over Barkley or it will be a comfortable victory for them.

Quite worried about this one especially with it looking very Jack is out. Stylistically this is possibly the worst match up we could be facing with how we are playing at the moment.

Mings being too casual on the ball and Elmo not being able to cover enough ground is also a worry.

1 minute ago, Villa87 said:

Deano has confirmed Jack is out - not sure why people are saying ‘if’ he is out?

Tbf he also claimed Barkley was gonna be fit for the next game for about a month before he actually was back in the squad.

But yeah, Grealish is more than likely out.

I would want to see Sanson start but I don't think he'll start. I really don't think Barkley will get dropped so certainly start.

I think it'll be another 4-2-3-1 formation because Smith likes to go with that. As usual, Douglas Luiz covering the mid with Trezeguet possibly. 

I also wouldn't mind seeing Marvelous Nakamba in the lineup because I remember seeing him come on at Wolves this season and he didn't do that bad.

Prediction: It'll be a hard game but I am going bold here and going to go 0-1 to us Ollie Watkins.

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

He’s cut this out in recent weeks to be fair. 

Yup, looked much better in that area. Always a worry thou for me, especially against teams that are good at pressing.

26 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

I thought this was tomorrow for some reason.  I'm not usually a pessimist but I reckon we will pick the same XI and get beaten.  Hope I'm wrong, c'mon the Villa!

I did too.

Having seen how we have played lately without Jack, I am not confident going into this game.

If Barkley starts then we're already at a disadvantage imo.

Hopefully we do win or this place will become interesting at 19:15 this evening.

I'm basically giving us no hope today based on the fact we can't play against high press teams and I very highly doubt that will just randomly change today. 

Can't see many changes being made to the side either. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Farlz said:

I'm basically giving us no hope today based on the fact we can't play against high press teams and I very highly doubt that will just randomly change today. 

Can't see many changes being made to the side either. 

If you are going to be good against high press teams you have to be brave. Take the ball under a bit of pressure and find a team mate with a pass. I think we have players that can do that. They have real pace on the wings so the full backs will need some support, especially if Elmo starts at RB. 

I think we can cause Leeds real problems going forward but we need to play in the right areas. We need to move the ball quickly and get support to Watkins.

This is a game, where my heart really needs to rule my head.

I just hope against my better judgment.....we can pull a rabbit out of the hat....thats all I have to cling to.

1 hour ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

I did too.

Having seen how we have played lately without Jack, I am not confident going into this game.

If Barkley starts then we're already at a disadvantage imo.

Hopefully we do win or this place will become interesting at 19:15 this evening.

We’ve played one game without Jack and could easily got a draw against Leicester if Trez was better at attacking. 

28 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is a game, where my heart really needs to rule my head.

I just hope against my better judgment.....we can pull a rabbit out of the hat....thats all I have to cling to.

How though? How are we gonna stop them in what they do?

We don't have the personnel.

I've never been as sure this season that we'll lose a game as i am before this one. Leeds and Bielsa just represents everything we struggle against.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

How though? How are we gonna stop them in what they do?

We don't have the personnel.

I've never been as sure this season that we'll lose a game as i am before this one. Leeds and Bielsa just represents everything we struggle against.

I don’t think personnel is the issue, even with Jack out I’d have about 3 of their 11 to get into ours (assuming Philips is out also).

Id agree though that unless we make tactical adjustments, which I can’t see happening, that they are possibly the worst match up for us stylistically at the moment.