Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

Mata is lovely footballer but really has no pace at all now so struggle to see where he'd fit in for what we want in final third, would be another Pires type imo.

I've mentioned him a few times before but think Daniel James wouldn't be worst option for the right, very quick and can score goals but obviously need to work on his decision making but I could see him being a good fit for us.

From the Daily Heil... Being touted to be interested in LB Ghislain Konan from Stade de Reims

Sportsmail understands the Ligue 1 club would be looking for a fee in the region of €6million (£5.1m). Aston Villa are also understood to be monitoring the 25-year-old, who is thought to be open to a Premier League move.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9591433/Southampton-ready-battle-Aston-Villa-5-5m-Reims-defender-Ghislain-Konan.html

I wouldn't be too obsessed with shopping in France. Gilbert, Traore and Sanson haven't set the world on fire. Dont get me wrong they're decent players but haven't provided the same impact Martinez, Konsa, Watkins or Ming's have. 

Edit - Engels too*

Edited by Lord Willard
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, thabucks said:

From the Daily Heil... Being touted to be interested in LB Ghislain Konan from Stade de Reims

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-9591433/Southampton-ready-battle-Aston-Villa-5-5m-Reims-defender-Ghislain-Konan.html

Maybe Engels is sent back and we pick up someone new? Isn't that the same club Engels played for for 5 minutes when we bought him?

1 hour ago, thabucks said:

Would any take Mata on a free this summer ? Think even at 33 he would be a great signing for a middle ranked prem team and a great player for the youngsters to learn of. 

I can absolutely seen where you are coming from I think Mata is class, only problem I see is I expect Jack to move centrally and he's not going to want to be subbed/rotated. 

48 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

I wouldn't be too obsessed with shopping in France. Gilbert, Traore and Sanson haven't set the world on fire. Dont get me wrong they're decent players but haven't provided the same impact Martinez, Konsa, Watkins or Ming's have. 

Edit - Engels too*

I think Traore has cemented his place on the right wing for next season, Sanson is a great prospect who will hopefully kick on next season never easy joining in January and has hardly played. Gilbert is a strange one I feel he is good enough to challenge/backup Cash but don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. The French market is probably the best value right now tbh.

21 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Hey you, don't judge

Reveal hidden contents

b2f1b3a3-3d31-464f-9f02-ada201b70e7d.jpg

No judgment, I’ve just only ever known  one Ghislain personally, and She was a she. Although is anyone anything these days? As long as we’re all happy. Anyway Kortney with a K and Courtney with a C, totally different names…..

23 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I think Traore has cemented his place on the right wing for next season, Sanson is a great prospect who will hopefully kick on next season never easy joining in January and has hardly played. Gilbert is a strange one I feel he is good enough to challenge/backup Cash but don't know what has gone on behind the scenes. The French market is probably the best value right now tbh.

I like him but…

spacer.png

I’d be happy for us to strengthen as many outfield positions as possible (we don’t need to touch the starters in defence right now though, there’s a limit to what we can & should spend), especially in the attacking positions. We need a strong, solid midfielder too.

I welcome any opportunity to improve the team and squad, if Traore is having to battle for his spot then it means we have a strong(er) team (I expect better from him next season though, more discipline and consistency).

We need a couple of players battling for most positions really, genuine competition. No one should really be a guaranteed starter unless they are exceptional (such as Emi & Jack) but even then it helps to keep them on their toes. Bert would be a great option off the bench too, to try n change a game for instance.

Trez is out so we are one winger down already. I’ve never rated him beyond his workrate anyway and El Ghazi, despite his goals, isn’t a standout player in terms of involvement in our general play.

We can do a lot to improve the team. I think only Ollie and Jack are guarantees in those forward positions.