Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

11 minutes ago, OLDVILLAIN said:

Relying on Wesley as a solid backup to Ollie is a gamble i hope we dont make..

I'm hoping this is where Alvares comes in.

Edited by zab6359
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Wes said:

As it's quiet today lets summarise the rumours shall we:

• Another goalkeeper as backup/competition for Steer.
  • A decision to be made about Guilbert as RB (personally, I hope he stays)
  • Another Centre Back following Engels departure to bring us up to 4, and provide competition for Konsa and Mings
  • A Centre Midfielder capable of Defensive/Staying Deep responsibilities
  • A flexible Left Wing/Behind the Striker attacker
  • Giving Wesley a chance in training so no immediate need for another Forward

Agree with this.

4 hours ago, Wes said:

Apologies - think my wording wasn't particularly great here. You are absolutely right - of course they're going to let him train 😄! What I was trying to imply was that I don't believe another Striker in is on the horizon at the moment. They seem to be happy with Wesley and monitoring his progress in training - for this window at least.

What makes that a possibility is Ollie’s great energy and injury record. The hope being he doesn’t get a serious injury. The other side of the coin is, if he is out for any length of time, I wouldn’t like to rely on Wesley at this point as we don’t really know how he is yet. 

I think, as others have said, we’ll look for someone who can play across the front three and so they would get games but be ready to step in for Ollie if the need arose. At some point the odd game off wouldn’t hurt Ollie or any player for that matter. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

God forbid if player X gets injured is nonsense worrying for the sake of it. Every club in the league could suffer from this. What if Konsa or Mings get injured Grealish etc etc etc. What if Salah and Mane both get injured

Your still on the 11 man squad thing then. 

• Like 2

I know that it is largely believed on here that we sign players on Wednesday. But does anyone know what time of day is the most favoured? Basically can I watch the TV or do I need to keep up my vigil for the next 5 hours? 

17 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I know that it is largely believed on here that we sign players on Wednesday. But does anyone know what time of day is the most favoured? Basically can I watch the TV or do I need to keep up my vigil for the next 5 hours? 

98.7% out signings have happened bteween 19.20 and midnight on a wednesday, only a fool would not be staring at there monitor and hitting F5 tonight. Anyway I'm off to watch some repeats of crossroads.

Edited by Phil Silvers

17 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

God forbid if player X gets injured is nonsense worrying for the sake of it. Every club in the league could suffer from this. What if Konsa or Mings get injured Grealish etc etc etc. What if Salah and Mane both get injured

We’ve already experienced what a Grealish injury means.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaveAV1 said:

What makes that a possibility is Ollie’s great energy and injury record. The hope being he doesn’t get a serious injury. The other side of the coin is, if he is out for any length of time, I wouldn’t like to rely on Wesley at this point as we don’t really know how he is yet. 

I think, as others have said, we’ll look for someone who can play across the front three and so they would get games but be ready to step in for Ollie if the need arose. At some point the odd game off wouldn’t hurt Ollie or any player for that matter. 

I see this a lot, WE don't know how he is after his injury, WE don't know if he'll be the same player when he comes back, but his managers, coaches and physios do know these things. 

If we rely on him as our backup it's because he has recovered from his injury 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, weedman said:

I see this a lot, WE don't know how he is after his injury, WE don't know if he'll be the same player when he comes back, but his managers, coaches and physios do know these things. 

18 months out after one of the worst ACL injuries some of our staff had ever seen and potentially it being the end of his career. What is the actual likelihood he'll be able to play a part this season? I'd say it's far more likely he'll go out on loan.

When we’re playing with one striker, the backup won’t get used a lot. It’s not like have 6 midfielders rotating 3 positions. Or 4 wingers for 2 spots. 
I don’t think we can get a very good backup to Watkins. But Alvares might be one of the most clever businesses we would do. He can play as a striker, RW or AM. With Wesley being the main backup until January. Alvares and Ashley Young would be backups for 5-6 positions. We still haven’t tried Traore upfront, I hope DS gives him a chance in the preseason and see what can he do. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

Where's all the transfer news? So bored.

I thought it was said that we have been planning our window since January?

Emi Buendia, is certainly an example of that, and Ashley Young could be too.....but it does seem to have stalled.

not a criticism, as these things can be more difficult than we think....but i go back to the earlier claims that we will all be excited in what the club have planned.

It does seem that the excitement was expected, maybe it was those 2 fine signings that was referenced, alone.

we will just have to see, if any further strengthening is planned.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

18 months out after one of the worst ACL injuries some of our staff had ever seen and potentially it being the end of his career. What is the actual likelihood he'll be able to play a part this season? I'd say it's far more likely he'll go out on loan.

This is my point, I don't know, and neither do you. Me saying he's probably fine is as much speculation as you saying he's probably not. 

The people that know will be himself, Dean Smith, the coaching staff, doctors and physios. And it's their call whether he stays on as our backup or not. Therefore IF they decide that he will be our only backup then that is because he has fully recovered from his injury.

While you and I might be sceptical or unsure of how he will be, that doesn't mean that the people making the decisions, the people with full access to all the information, the people who have worked with him every day since he signed, are. If they judge his fitness to be OK, then we have to trust them as they are the only ones who actually know beyond just a guess 

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, weedman said:

I think it’s fair to say that the coaches and medical staff will have a much better idea of his recovery, certainly physically. There is however always some uncertainty regarding mental/psychological  fitnesses and of course in Wesley’s case his injury came at such an unfortunate time, just as he was showing signs of settling in.

Questions still remain though as to whether Wesley fits in with our style of play, he doesn’t really seem to be a Dean type of player. Was he a Suso pick? He certainly isn’t the same type of CF as Ollie is and to use him would require a change of tactics. 

2 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I think it’s fair to say that the coaches and medical staff will have a much better idea of his recovery, certainly physically. There is however always some uncertainty regarding mental/psychological  fitnesses and of course in Wesley’s case his injury came at such an unfortunate time, just as he was showing signs of settling in.

Questions still remain though as to whether Wesley fits in with our style of play, he doesn’t really seem to be a Dean type of player. Was he a Suso pick? He certainly isn’t the same type of CF as Ollie is and to use him would require a change of tactics. 

Isn’t the point of a sub most of the time to change tactics a little and change the game? Unless you’re Southgate

• Like 1