Summer transfer window 2021

zab6359

As a few other posters have said in the thread, I think we need, a couple of good old fashioned, pacy wingers with a mean cross, who play on their " right " sides 

" Inside forwards " can be great, when they are on top form ( Which ours, bar Jack are not always ).

Sometimes we can also be too predictable. We need a couple old fashioned speed merchant Wingers who can add another dimension to our play at times.

So that's what I would be looking for on the wings, different types of player to Jack and Traore.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Thanks 1

Ideally ... we would want international calibre players at each first team position, regardless of whether the national manager recognizes them as such. My take: 

Martinez ✅✅  Without doubt international calibre
Cash ✅  Seems to be playing well enough to be worthy of an England shirt
Konsa ✅ Seems to be playing well enough to be worthy of an England shirt
Mings✅ Now the criticism has died down, I think most would agree worth an England shirt
Targett✅❓  Seem to really close to being worthy of an England shirt
McGinn ❓ Although a worthy Scotland international, likely would not get into the England team.
Luiz ❓ We'll see if he makes a regular breakthrough into the Brazilian side
Traore ❌ A fun player, not sure he is a top flight international calibre player, definitely nice to have on the bench
Barkley ❌ Time seems to be passing him by
Grealish ✅✅ Enough said
Watkins ✅ We'll see how it goes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Personally I think Jack's future is central, but even if he does start on the left, I'd like two wide forwards, preferably both capable of playing up the middle but one that could would be enough. Then we could get around teams doubling up on Jack by him being able to move inside and out swapping with another attacker and dragging the extra man around and pulling some holes in the other teams shape. If the top CAM is two footed and comfortable wide for ten minutes every now and again then that would work too :D

I disagree.  I think Jack is starting to enjoy playing out wide and can see the game from there.  Equally, I think that's his best chance of playing for England which is so key for him.

29 minutes ago, fruitvilla said:

Ideally ... we would want international calibre players at each first team position, regardless of whether the national manager recognizes them as such. My take: 

Martinez ✅✅  Without doubt international calibre
Cash ✅  Seems to be playing well enough to be worthy of an England shirt
Konsa ✅ Seems to be playing well enough to be worthy of an England shirt
Mings✅ Now the criticism has died down, I think most would agree worth an England shirt
Targett✅❓  Seem to really close to being worthy of an England shirt
McGinn ❓ Although a worthy Scotland international, likely would not get into the England team.
Luiz ❓ We'll see if he makes a regular breakthrough into the Brazilian side
Traore ❌ A fun player, not sure he is a top flight international calibre player, definitely nice to have on the bench
Barkley ❌ Time seems to be passing him by
Grealish ✅✅Enough said
Watkins ✅ We'll see how it goes.

Oddly the 4 you have marked as non international likely have more international caps between them than the other 7.

52 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

As a few other posters have said in the thread, I think we need, a couple of good old fashioned, pacy wingers with a mean cross, who play on their " right " sides 

" Inside forwards " can be great, when they are on top form ( Which ours, bar Jack are not always ).

Sometimes we can also be too predictable. We need a couple old fashioned speed merchant Wingers who can add another dimension to our play at times.

So that's what I would be looking for on the wings, different types of player to Jack and Traore.

I agree, and I think Ollie must be begging for this rather than a head down, shoot on sight El Ghazi!!

18 minutes ago, nick76 said:

1 billion pounds

bruno mars love GIF by FC Bayern Munich

Whatever the budget we could spend it.

It was 144 first year, 100 roughly this year so I would expect it to be 80m plus.

I believe that will be enough to upgrade the two first team positions I was talking about last night and a couple of squad players.

Wonder what's the position with wages this summer?

Purslow made the point this time last year that FFP would restrict us in that regard so that's why we shopped at lower end of market getting in good championship players who'd be in 20-30k range and same for Martinez given he was a reserve keeper.

Players who'd help us make the next step will be in 80-100k range so will be quite a step up and something we didn't get quite right in the MON era given we signed likes of Sidwell and Beye in 40-50k range who just warmed the bench endlessly.

This is the difficult part now as it's not easy to get right.

Edited by VillaChris

7 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

You know what's annoying?

That's exactly what we needed last summer. And the window before. And last January. And the January before.

Ah well, hopefully we'll have some wheels in the side come August.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Wonder what's the position with wages this summer?

Purslow made the point this time last year that FFP would restrict us in that regard so that's why we shopped at lower end of market getting in good championship players who'd be in 20-30k range and same for Martinez given he was a reserve keeper.

Players who'd help us make the next step will be in 80-100k range so will be quite a step up and something we didn't get quite right in the MON era given we signed likes of Sidwell and Beye in 40-50k range who just warmed the bench endlessly.

This is the difficult part now as it's not easy to get right.

The players we signed in the summer will be on a fair lot more than 20-30k

Would seriously bring in lingard now and take him away from West ham, he's much better than what we have on the Wings apart from Grealish.

10 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Get Lingard in, nick him off of westham. He's scored again recently.

5 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

You know what's annoying?

That's exactly what we needed last summer. And the window before. And last January. And the January before.

Ah well, hopefully we'll have some wheels in the side come August.

It’s so true. We have got it so, so wrong in the wide areas. Grealish has papered over the chasms in this area. If you bundled Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi up, you might end up with a player but individually they’re miles off it. Absolutely miles off it. 

RW/LW should be priority this summer and get Jack back in the middle. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

It’s so true. We have got it so, so wrong in the wide areas. Grealish has papered over the chasms in this area. If you bundled Traore, Trezeguet and El Ghazi up, you might end up with a player but individually they’re miles off it. Absolutely miles off it. 

RW/LW should be priority this summer and get Jack back in the middle. 

To be fair it looked like we were desperate to sign Rashica. 

It's a key position for us out wide. With Barkley not working out, we either move Jack inside or need to bring in a number 10 as well. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

To be fair it looked like we were desperate to sign Rashica. 

And we very nearly did to be fair to us. 

It's a shame the selling club hoodwinked the deal at the 12th hour and tried to pimp the player out to other clubs in Europe instead hoping we would panic and cough up more £££.