General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

2 hours ago, Jono62 said:

Andre Marriner has retired. Guess he wanted to wait until Villa got into Europe.

I read somewhere that he had wanted to reach 400 matches before he retired. Just missed that mark

17 minutes ago, Spoony said:

I’m very sick and tired of how referees are treated by managers. The word “disgraceful” is used far too liberally in football but in this case it actually is disgraceful. The quality of the officiating itself aside, you cannot be allowed to follow a referee to a **** car park to verbally abuse him. I’m so sick of it. FIFA and all the FAs have totally lost control over the players and managers and the treatment of THEIR employees.

Something has to dramatically change. The likes of Klopp, Arteta, Guardiola, Howe, Mourinho and their teams literally need 8 game bans like Mitrovic got and do it again just have their qualifications rescinded. Players should be sent off for any aggressive decent. If players surround a ref and the captain cannot control them, book every single one of them. Start protecting the referees at the highest level, set a standard, apply that standard at grassroots and watch the refereeing dramatically improve.

I think the referees ought to go on strike until this happens. Enough is enough. 

Can see a strike on the horizon. All prem games cancelled and then a fixture pile up. 

1 hour ago, Spoony said:

I’m very sick and tired of how referees are treated by managers. The word “disgraceful” is used far too liberally in football but in this case it actually is disgraceful. The quality of the officiating itself aside, you cannot be allowed to follow a referee to a **** car park to verbally abuse him. I’m so sick of it. FIFA and all the FAs have totally lost control over the players and managers and the treatment of THEIR employees.

Something has to dramatically change. The likes of Klopp, Arteta, Guardiola, Howe, Mourinho and their teams literally need 8 game bans like Mitrovic got and do it again just have their qualifications rescinded. Players should be sent off for any aggressive decent. If players surround a ref and the captain cannot control them, book every single one of them. Start protecting the referees at the highest level, set a standard, apply that standard at grassroots and watch the refereeing dramatically improve.

I think the referees ought to go on strike until this happens. Enough is enough. 

Klopp should have got a 6 month ban for his antics vs Spurs. Was a bigger uproar when his tough guy full back went down theatrically from a ref who got sick of the abuse

Refs need to also book or send off people getting too close. The amount of yellow cards not given for dissent is ridiculous

Edited by Zatman
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Klopp should have got a 6 month ban for his antics vs Spurs. Was a bigger uproar when his tough guy full back went down theatrically from a ref who got sick of the abuse

Refs need to also book or send off people getting too close. The amount of yellow cards not given for dissent is ridiculous

This is a bit problem. They have this in their locker so why not use it? But again it probably has to come from higher up so the rules are consistently applied. They need PGMOL to come out and say “book absolutely everyone for all dissent. Don’t hold back.”

9 hours ago, Spoony said:

this issue is not going to go away.....

this is absolutely disgraceful & disgusting.

Edited by Villaphan04

That is **** disgraceful

But as a side how they doing that in an airport? Wheres the security and police? Maybe I'm wrong here and it's a misconception by me but i don't think you'd last long in a UK airport making that kind of ruckus

As for the game... Only seen the highlights but I'm not really seeing what the fuss is about unless the general decisions in open play were that bad, the 2 penalties not given were dives and good decisions, the handball I've seen far worse not given, romas goal could have been a foul

• Like 2

I’ve been “backstage” at NBA & MLB games over here in the US.

The refs are shuttled in and have their own security. Coaches/managers and players are not allowed near them before or after games. I believe it is strictly against the rules for them to be approached by either beyond the time on the court/field.

All in all, the officiating of games over here is a much higher level of professionalism plus they are aided by technology etc. There also have multiple officials which I’ve always thought would be smart in football because so much goes on off the ball.

• Like 2

It's a game of football for **** sake.

Yes, it's gutting to lose a cup final, especially if you feel that it's been overly influenced by certain refereeing decisions, but it's only football. Life goes on. Much more important things going on in the world.

The standard of refereeing, especially in the Premier League, has been pretty poor, but the level of abuse that the officials receive week in, week out, is an utter disgrace.

1 hour ago, VillaAlex said:

This is ultimately Mourinhos fault. He fuelled the fire and he and his staff should be punished.

I can't think of many bigger words removed in the game.  An absolute stain on football and always has been.

There has to be some radical changes in how officials are treated, starting on the pitch.

It’s not even difficult to get on top of, when football wants to stamp something out it generally can and does. Consider things like tackles from behind or removing your shirt after scoring etc, once it becomes known that you will get a yellow card it stops, by and large at least anyway. 

Going forward now any player who runs toward a ref snarling and shouting should be yellow carded, any player that tells the ref to F off - yellow card, run off when the refs trying to call you over for a chat - yellow card. Watch how quickly it changes.

• Like 1

Part of the problem is characters like Mourinho bring drama and entertainment around the game itself, and football isn’t as far removed from WWE as we like to think.

I always thought Fergie’s “mind games” were pathetic and not very clever, but he was lauded for them.

Mourinho took it to another level, and has only got worse in recent years as he gets outcoached and outthought in other areas of the game.

The broadcasters and the leagues don’t want to clamp down too hard on this stuff when it involves the big personalities who help them sell TV subscriptions and tickets and merchandise.

And a lot of fans don’t care because they’re petty, tribal, and basically not very decent people, who mistake being a delusional **** word removed for passion.

So the refs are on a hiding to nothing if they get caught up in one of these situations.

Anthony Taylor had an impossible task last night. Constant fouls, feigning serious injury every 2 mins, both benches interfering and encroaching. Fans throwing missiles at players. Abuse and dissent. Cheating.

And he still basically got the big decisions right, yet the narrative is that somehow he ruined the game and cost a distinctly average Roma team a trophy. Was glad to see that last Sevilla penalty go in tbh, although they played like pricks too.

• Like 4

Â