General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

Just got home and fired up MoTD, what the actual F in hell. Only got as far as the Liverpool game but wtf! They are killing the game and they either enjoy it or are completely ambivalent to it.

What a joke of a decision not to award the Diaz goal, I won’t cry for Liverpool, they have enough rub of the green but my god, what’s the point of having VAR if it’s not to award a clearly legitimate goal.

I’ve wondered since VAR was introduced how scientific this drawing of lines is for offsides, turns out its about as scientific as me going for a piss, looking at my dick and thinking it’s 12”.

I may have had a drink tonight.

Edited by bannedfromHandV
  • Haha 4

Im starting to think they are doing this deliberately now. Its not even close to a borderline decision. The same with the wolves one vs united.

Its like they enjoy the controversy it causes. These people should be sacked or heavily fined their wages for poor decisions like this.

Even the 1st yellow for jones was ridiculous 

Edited by Demitri_C

They're going big on this mistake,  presumably because it's a game impacting the scum 6 clubs.

Far more coverage than other fundamentally incorrect interpretations of the law that have impacted us recently.

Does add credence to the theory that they're actually completely incompetent,  and not just biased towards certain clubs. 

Edited by MrBlack

I think this is different level.  It’s not just about whether he was onside, it’s an absolute breakdown in communication between ref and VAR and then neither having the nous/bottle to correct their mistake for fear of stepping out of protocol which is absolute bullshit.  

If this was Villa I would be gathering a posse and marching with pitchfork and flaming torch down the to PGMOL hq.

7 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Just got home and fired up MoTD, what the actual F in hell. Only got as far as the Liverpool game but wtf! They are killing the game and they either enjoy it or are completely ambivalent to it.

What a joke of a decision not to award the Diaz goal, I won’t cry for Liverpool, they have enough rub of the green but my god, what’s the point of having VAR if it’s not to award a clearly legitimate goal.

I’ve wondered since VAR was introduced how scientific this drawing of lines is for offsides, turns out its about as scientific as me going for a piss, looking at my dick and thinking it’s 12”.

I may have had a drink tonight.

If only mine was that small 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

The liverpool offside was a new low for VAR mistakes. 

Although one of the worst decisions of the day was allowing one of our goals to stand 👀

So you mean the Zaniolo offside one? As discussed earlier they have been very consistently allowing those goals this season so I don't agree that's a bad decision.

Edited by Lichfield Dean
What thread am I in?

22 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

So you mean the Zaniolo offside one? As discussed earlier they have been very consistently allowing those goals this season so I don't agree that's a bad decision.

He looks to be directly in the keepers' eyeline for me.  But as you say, they're letting them go this season so who the **** knows really :D 

• Like 1

The Brighton defender was standing in front of him blocking the view as well, if you want to see one that should have been ruled off watch Arsenal's goal against us last season, he was stood a foot away from Martinez, offside and in the line of fire, he even ducked as it went passed him. 

Anyway nothing takes away that decision against LPool, absolutely outrageous to let that goal get ruled out in such an important game. I'm still pissed about it and I have no time for Liverpool at all, especially offside decisions......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, a-k said:

I'd question the point of even telling the ref at that point.

"We've massively **** up, probably the most embarrassing VAR blunder since we introduced this, and the laws of the game are very clear you can't do anything about it. Enjoy the rest of the game".

• Haha 2

Does anyone else feel like refs have gotten worse since they went professional? Maybe time to drop them back to being the amateurs they actually are.

And get rid of Dermot Gallagher, Mike Dean and Peter Walton from the broadcasting shows they appear on, sick to death of referees, joyless tw@s ruining the game.

They should be the least visible, least important part of a football match, all they’re really there to do is stop a game from descending into a straight up fist fight and as it stands they now appear to be the gatekeepers between winning and losing.

Well the ref could have done something radical and pulled both captains together and inform them that a mistake had been made, the goal should have stood so it'll be awarded and the game will resume with a Totting Ham kick off. Controversial but it deals with the mistake quite quickly.

• Like 1

We should have a league table of refs and VAR officials and when they have good games give em points, bad games deduct points,  end of the season relegate the bottom 3 and promote the top 3 from the championship refs.

The top refs get the important games, serious errors suspend or sack em.

The VAR officials for the Spurs Lpool game told the ref to push the burden back onto to him, incompetence and cowardly at the same time. 

12 minutes ago, DeadlyDirk said:

Well the ref could have done something radical and pulled both captains together and inform them that a mistake had been made, the goal should have stood so it'll be awarded and the game will resume with a Totting Ham kick off. Controversial but it deals with the mistake quite quickly.

Not like it would be the first time the rules of the game have been ignored, although this time it would be in the interests of correcting an error so you'd think it wouldn't trigger too much animosity.

Sometimes common sense needs to prevail. A minute after the fact you aren't really undermining a massive period of play that subsequently happened and you're getting the right result.  You could even add the extra minute to the end of the half if you were concerned about sporting fairness.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Does anyone else feel like refs have gotten worse since they went professional? Maybe time to drop them back to being the amateurs they actually are.

And get rid of Dermot Gallagher, Mike Dean and Peter Walton from the broadcasting shows they appear on, sick to death of referees, joyless tw@s ruining the game.

They should be the least visible, least important part of a football match, all they’re really there to do is stop a game from descending into a straight up fist fight and as it stands they now appear to be the gatekeepers between winning and losing.

I've said before that giving refs the ability to delegate responsibility to VAR that has degraded the quality of officiating. 

Refs have become risk averse, and they are now in a constant game of 'pass the responsibility' with the VAR guys. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Genie said:

I’m **** livid with that shit. How can they make that error? It makes no sense? What did they actually check? It’s just so bizarre and **** up that corruption is the only logical answer.

You really have to. Unless it's an actual Spurz fan making a deliberately incorrect decision to aid the team they support. 

I just can't comprehend how this can happen in a league that measures money in the billions. 

The official should lose his job, not a suspension. 

Another example of why their discussions should be broadcast too. 

These obviously incorrect decisions with apologies happen too often as well. 

12 hours ago, siminjo said:

I`m I right in thinking that one of Newcastle`s goals against in the season opener was quickly checked for offside, and they also didn`t bother to draw the lines? Or maybe it was an offside ruled goal for us? Anyone remember a similar occurence for us?

I thought at the time that the decision seemed kinda correct, but was quite annoyed that they didn`t show the lines, because then at least i would feel more comfortable the decision was infact correct

Yes, there was a dodgy looking offside for us where the lines weren't shown. 

Is this the new VAR way of covering up? 

Once they know they've **** up don't release any footage showing the lines. 

Funny how BBC decided to do their own lines on this one though innit. 

Â