General officiating/rules

StefanAVFC

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Step 2 - let sensible people sort out the problems we have in the game around VAR.

How does this happen though?

The reason I'm quite sympathetic to the Liverpool statement is we've had absolutely years of PGMOL being a secretive old boy's club that looks after their own. They disgrace themselves, bench the ref for a couple of weeks, then come back like nothing ever happened, and fine anyone who criticises an abject performance.

I'd be fully behind your point if I thought that there was any realistic prospect of refereeing reform without the clubs properly kicking off. PGMOL seem to wield far too much power with far too little accountability. 

• Like 1

Fwiw I wouldn’t bin VAR off just yet, I think it has got a reasonable amount of decisions correct to make it worth sticking with in some form or another.

Doesn’t mean to say that they aren’t often shite with it and can’t drastically be improved upon in the way it’s used. 

Quicker decisions, if you’re still unsure if it’s offside or handball after 30/60 seconds, then it’s not offside or handball.  

More transparency, some reasoning behind the decisions would be welcome. And clear language to be used between officials, no more “check complete”. Say “Yes it’s a goal” “Yes it’s offside”. Whatever. It’s not difficult to fix that.

And a bit of common sense, if Anthony Gordon has started playing basketball in the box before directly assisting a goal, that might be worth raising with the ref. A questionable tackle on the halfway line which ultimately led to a goal - a potential foul that wasn’t spotted by ref, that probably has to be let go. And yes that grey area will still cause arguments, but we’re always going to have those, with or without VAR.

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

How does this happen though?

The Premier league CEO's meet every three months and discuss the way they want the game to go - they do TV deals, fixture arrangements and whether and how VAR works and is implemented - they instruct the PGMOL - that's the mechanism, that meeting, finding a consensus for a way forward and getting fourteen clubs to agree on it so that it can be carried out.

One club going rogue and publicly threatening to sue everyone else to satisfy the deranged paranoia of their fanbase is really unhelpful.

2 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Liverpool are contesting the Jones sending off, personally thought that one was definite. He lacks any sense of control of in it 

They will get off it as a Goodwill Gesture with all these complaints

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Liverpool are contesting the Jones sending off, personally thought that one was definite. He lacks any sense of control of in it 

Personally thought the red was harsh, but there's no way it should be overturned.

2 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The Premier league CEO's meet every three months and discuss the way they want the game to go - they do TV deals, fixture arrangements and whether and how VAR works and is implemented - they instruct the PGMOL - that's the mechanism, that meeting, finding a consensus for a way forward and getting fourteen clubs to agree on it so that it can be carried out.

One club going rogue and publicly threatening to sue everyone else to satisfy the deranged paranoia of their fanbase is really unhelpful.

The problem is the conspiracy theory for me is the drama sells in the world's most exciting league

I'm not convinced they actually want to fix it, if they did then it's mind boggling they let it get this bad in the first place

They want to own the conversation in a Monday morning and to be fair to them they do

Liverpool are now demanding the audio from the VAR for the game against Spurs.

What for?

What is it they want to do with it?

If we let Liverpool try to push to have the game replayed, or to have a point awarded to them, or to have some sort of big financial compensation awarded to them, then it opens the floodgates to an absolute nightmare.

This isn't a one in a million thing, there are ten or twenty of these a season - on this occasion,  it's massively amplified through the weird prism of scouse - but this sort of thing happens to everyone and as harsh as it is, you have to take it on the chin and move on.

That doesn't mean that everyone shouldn't all work together to improve stuff - it's a league and the league wants to do things better - but if Liverpool move towards any sort of individual action on this, it could genuinely change the way the game is played and run forever. would you want us suing the league for Vidic not being sent off in 2010 - it'd just be absolute chaos.

It's just a nonsense, I appreciate they're angry, it was a terrible decision, completely wrong, the goal should have stood, the on field decision should have been overturned, they've every right to be aggrieved - but they need to be aggrieved and get on with it and work within the existing channels of the game to improve things.

I think it's really important for the game as a whole in this country that the Premier League tells Liverpool to pipe down and refuses to go even a step along the path to the absolute chaos that they seem prepared to risk to satisfy their own weird psyche.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Tomaszk said:

Refereeing is hard.

Sat at the VAR desk isn't.

I don't believe them for one second. I don't think they checked because arrogantly they just thought it was offside.

What sort of chimps have they got in there! When Spurs kick back off "it can't be brought back"...OF COURSE IT CAN. 

Just call the ref. Sorry, got that one wrong, that was a goal.

Exactly! I mean remember when they gave United a penalty against Brighton…. AFTER the match had finished! 

18 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

Liverpool picking up their ball and going home means one thing, all contentious decisions will now go their way. 

Oh yeah this is exactly why they are doing it, if a mid or lower table team had this decision go against them while playing a sky scum team then it would not even get reported.

Whoever plays liverplop next will have everything against them, not just liverpoo and the on field officials but the VAR's lot as well.

Perfect example of a bully getting his own taste of medicine, and he doesnt like it and lashes out out blaming everyone 

4 minutes ago, delboy54 said:

Oh yeah this is exactly why they are doing it, if a mid or lower table team had this decision go against them while playing a sky scum team then it would not even get reported.

Whoever plays liverplop next will have everything against them, not just liverpoo and the on field officials but the VAR's lot as well.

Perfect example of a bully getting his own taste of medicine, and he doesnt like it and lashes out out blaming everyone 

Smith got a red card and a touchline ban after the Rodri goal when PGMOL decided to invent a new rule

7 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

In a painfully predictable development, Liverpool (both club and fans) act like they're the only team to ever fall foul of poor officiating. 

Victim FC

Â